Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Contributor
Posts: 77
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
0

I feel tricked

So I was browsing around for an engagement ring at Kay Jewelers, and the lady asked me if she could run my credit to see how much I would be approved for to know my proce range. I said that was fine. I was approved for 3500, but in the end decided not to buy anything. Little did I know by letting her run my credit I opened a credit card with them even tho I didnt purchase anytnhing!

 

My question is If I close this card, or leave it open, is it going to hurt my score as far as AAOA goes? I dont want this card at all, and will most likely never use it. Whats the best thing I can do?

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 478
Registered: ‎09-24-2010
0

Re: I feel tricked

It's sort of too late for that. The first clue should of been when she asked to run your credit. I'm assuming you had to fill out something or answer verbally some questions.  It may hurt your AAoA. You may want to ask others.  I would say yes. Any time you open a new account it will always affect your AAoA plus you get the "New Account" ding on your credit report.  I would just leave it open. It will help your revolving debt and lower your revolving ratio if it is not used.  

 

It's really up to you what you want to do with it though. 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,708
Registered: ‎10-16-2008
0

Re: I feel tricked

Stay single. 

 

Smiley Happy

Moderator
Posts: 17,419
Registered: ‎07-14-2009
0

Re: I feel tricked


armyguy90 wrote:

So I was browsing around for an engagement ring at Kay Jewelers, and the lady asked me if she could run my credit to see how much I would be approved for to know my proce range. I said that was fine. I was approved for 3500, but in the end decided not to buy anything. Little did I know by letting her run my credit I opened a credit card with them even tho I didnt purchase anytnhing!

 

My question is If I close this card, or leave it open, is it going to hurt my score as far as AAOA goes? I dont want this card at all, and will most likely never use it. Whats the best thing I can do?


I agree that the ding to your credit has already occurred and you might as well keep it. Unless it comes with an AF of course. It will increase your overall credit limit by $3,500. Even if you never use it and it's eventually closed for inactivity it will still report for up to 10 years after closing and that helps your AAoA and credit length history.

 

For more information read this thread about Closing Credit Cards

.

 

 

 

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Established Contributor
Posts: 1,010
Registered: ‎05-14-2008
0

Re: I feel tricked

The damage has been done so no use worrying about it.  But always remember anytime asks to run your credit you are 'in the game' for new credit and all that entails.  You have to jealously guard granting access to any new, or existing, creditor.  It's YOUR credit so you have to own it and only ask for more credit when you need it.  Lesson learned.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,815
Registered: ‎03-11-2009
0

Re: I feel tricked


Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Stay single. 

 

Smiley Happy



AMEN!!!!!!

+10000000000

FICO 08
TU 839 4/30/16
EX 827 4/30/16
EQ 828 4/30/16
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 30k ) ( Venture 23K ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( SD'd US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k, In their final resting place, can you hear the sound of taps? ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 4,470
Registered: ‎12-31-2008
0

Re: I feel tricked

Aw, c'mon you guys.

 

DH says marriage is the best thing that ever happened to him.

 

I wholeheartedly agree. 

It IS the best thing that ever happened to him.  Smiley Very Happy 

JK.  It's the best thing that ever happened to me, too!

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,671
Registered: ‎05-24-2007
0

Re: I feel tricked

Marriage is great, unless it doesn't work out.

 

If you get divorced that can still work out if both parties behave like adults during the entire process. About 10% of the men do that and about 1% of the women do that. Since you need to have BOTH of them behave like adults, that means it is simple for about 1 out of a million divorces. The big problem is that even if you act like an adult 99% of the time, the other 1% can really make a mess. The divorce lawyers have learned how to maximize the impact of that temporary insanity.

 

Killing all the divorce lawyers would also help. Let's not forget the Family Law Judges, too.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,708
Registered: ‎10-16-2008
0

Re: I feel tricked

 


beamMEup wrote:

Aw, c'mon you guys.

 

DH says marriage is the best thing that ever happened to him.

 

I wholeheartedly agree. 

It IS the best thing that ever happened to him.  Smiley Very Happy 

JK.  It's the best thing that ever happened to me, too!


That is one sweet post!   Smiley Happy

 

(Saving this one for my own, for Valentine's Day next year, for my honey.)

 

 

Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: I feel tricked


GregB wrote:

Marriage is great, unless it doesn't work out.

 

If you get divorced that can still work out if both parties behave like adults during the entire process. About 10% of the men do that and about 1% of the women do that. Since you need to have BOTH of them behave like adults, that means it is simple for about 1 out of a million divorces. The big problem is that even if you act like an adult 99% of the time, the other 1% can really make a mess. The divorce lawyers have learned how to maximize the impact of that temporary insanity.

 

Killing all the divorce lawyers would also help. Let's not forget the Family Law Judges, too.


Disagree about the M/F ratio, but otherwise, I do agree.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.