Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I fell off the no-app wagon

tag
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I fell off the no-app wagon

This message is to all those who pledged credit card application celibacy until 2010.

I fell off the wagon yesterday . . . . here's your tokens back . . . Smiley Sad

After 66 days of fighting the application monster, I succumbed to the terriffic offers by Alliant.  Don't know yet, if I'm approved but apped for a 10K Visa and a 20K car loan (I wanted to make the best of the hard pull).  I'm toatlly undecided about the car loan since I just recently paid off my current vehicle but the CC was too ripe a plum to ignore.

Even though I have not seen any CLD's or rate jacks, I feel they're coming and so I called Alliant and simply asked my loan officer what their policy was now, and did they expect changes with the new laws?  He replied that Alliant will not change their current policy.  They will lower CL's and increase APR's only in individual cases where there are several late payments or multiple months of going OL.  After this conversation, I decided to take the plunge before the CLD's begin and while my CR still shows my utl. @ 7%.

So, as you can see in my siggy, I'm back to day one but am hereby re-committing to a full year without any apps.

Anyone want to join me? 

Message Edited by Itsmeagain on 05-31-2009 10:19 AM

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
techman2008
New Contributor

Re: I fell off the no-app wagon

When my cr was bad I didn't apply for 5 years lol.  Sure i'll join ya.

Starting Score: TU 797 EQ 798 EX 774 10/26/2008
Current Score: TU 787 EQ 784 EX ??? 09/19/2010
Goal Score: 790

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@techman2008 wrote:
When my cr was bad I didn't apply for 5 years lol.  Sure i'll join ya.

Me to, as I have not applied for credit in over 8 years.Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 22
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

I'll join you Itsmeagain,

This time last year I was really suffering from a lack of TL's. So I apped like crazy and ended up with over 10 new accounts and lots of inqu's.

No more app's until I can get a cc from Alliant. I have a secured loan with Alliant and as soon as that's paid I will app for thier cc, but that's it.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 4 of 22
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Maybe we should charter a club here . . . . Application Addicts Annonymous (AAA).  Give out virtual coins for every 30 days of abstinance.

Our Chairman could be DickC since he seems have beaten back the monster for 8 years.

I'll begin . . . . My name's I.M.A. and I'm an addict . . . . Smiley Happy

Next?

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

itsmeagain,

If you're going to fall off the wagon, Alliant should cushion your fall.  Great CU.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Itsmeagain wrote:

Maybe we should charter a club here . . . . Application Addicts Annonymous (AAA).  Give out virtual coins for every 30 days of abstinance.

Our Chairman could be DickC since he seems have beaten back the monster for 8 years.

I'll begin . . . . My name's I.M.A. and I'm an addict . . . . Smiley Happy

Next?

LMAO, well, my situation is a bit different. I am retired, we own our home free and clear, cars free and clear and I am blessed with a very nice retirement income.

I carry 4 Credit cards, (3 Visa,1 MC) All of them joint acctounts with my wife and 1 is an individual acct.My wife has the same set-up. The reason for each of us having an "individual card" is that if I were to lose my wallet or my wife her purse and we had to cancel credit cards, we would always have 1 card that did not have to be cancelled to get us through.

The last time I submitted a "credit application" was in Feb 2001 and it was to join the Country Club where we live.

The total limits on my 4 cards is $95K (3 at 25K, 1 at 20K) which is quite sufficent for our needs. I use them for EVERYTHING, as I always figured if I lost my wallet, I am protected on the Credit Cards but if I have $100, $200 or so in wallet and lose it, chances are it is gone.

More then anything, we just try to keep life simple.

Message 7 of 22
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

It happens to the best of us!  Smiley Tongue

For your entertainment....lol..

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=106687&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Message 8 of 22
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

DickC---that is an outstaninding setup that you and your wife have done.  Although I have a lot of time before we hit retirement, our goal is to have a similar setup---thanks for the encouragement!

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, great set up, **bleep**

Edited to say...Be sure to refer to DickC by the entire name...the bleep was for leaving off the C!!!!!

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 05-31-2009 05:44 PM
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.