Did you mean: 

I fell off the wagon...and so soon.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I fell off the wagon...and so soon.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
On my EX report, which is the only one they noted in the denial, I have the following:

$202 Paid Collection - Report says Opened 08/2006 - This is the one I GWed.
$440 Unpaid Collection - Report says Opened 07/2006 - I just found out about this one and will take care of it ASAP.

That's it as far as the bad stuff. On my TU, I also have an unpaid collection for $496 opened 4/1/02.

Thanks!

These collections aren't old enough for Amex. They generally want no baddies for two years.
Honestly, recon may not help, but it certainly can't hurt!
GL to you!

ETA: I'm referring specifically to the Delta Skymiles card you apped for. The standards for most of their other cards are even more stringent.

Message Edited by cheddar on 01-02-2008 09:53 PM

Sorry, one more question: If I am lucky and can have both of the collections removed from the account, do you think they would reconsider then or would they look back at this report and not grant it anyway? I know this is a long shot anyway, but I thought maybe it would let me sleep tonight... :-)
Message 11 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
On my EX report, which is the only one they noted in the denial, I have the following:

$202 Paid Collection - Report says Opened 08/2006 - This is the one I GWed.
$440 Unpaid Collection - Report says Opened 07/2006 - I just found out about this one and will take care of it ASAP.

That's it as far as the bad stuff. On my TU, I also have an unpaid collection for $496 opened 4/1/02.

Thanks!

These collections aren't old enough for Amex. They generally want no baddies for two years.
Honestly, recon may not help, but it certainly can't hurt!
GL to you!

ETA: I'm referring specifically to the Delta Skymiles card you apped for. The standards for most of their other cards are even more stringent.

Message Edited by cheddar on 01-02-2008 09:53 PM

Sorry, one more question: If I am lucky and can have both of the collections removed from the account, do you think they would reconsider then or would they look back at this report and not grant it anyway? I know this is a long shot anyway, but I thought maybe it would let me sleep tonight... :-)

If you manage to get these CAs deleted and then reapply, they will pull a new report and will only use the info from the one they pull at that time.  It will, as I'm sure you know, cost you another INQ, though.

Also, if you plan to apply again make sure you first address the other issues they also mentioned in their letter.

Message 12 of 36
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
what was the reason(s) for the decline?

I'm sure their account review people are still trying to find a way to get my CLI processed and are just busy. Well, at least that's what I'm guessing. Woman Very Happy Of course I take full credit for the way the AMEX website acted today.
Smiley Happy

Well, thanks for letting me know! Maybe I should check with you to make sure someone is available to process my recon? :-)

Well beware, TrueCredit is hanging up on me at the moment, too.  Perhaps I have finally gotten to the moment of DOOM!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 13 of 36
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Hi Tracy, dont feel bad about your app. Amex has been worse to me. I apped for Delta and I got online message stating that I am approved for $1000 and I would get my card in the mail in 10 days. Then they wanted a letter from my banker/atty/cpa/broker verifying my income/address.

I sent that to them. Now they want my Tax Returns and other things. All that for a $1000 card that already they said it is approved? I said heck with them. As far as I am concerned they can keep their card. I have excellent Visa / MC with very good limits and I am going to stick with what I have instead of feeling bad how Amex treated me.

As per your baddies on your CR it is always good to get them out of your CR. Focus on getting your baddies removed. Good Luck.
Message 14 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:
Hi Tracy, dont feel bad about your app. Amex has been worse to me. I apped for Delta and I got online message stating that I am approved for $1000 and I would get my card in the mail in 10 days. Then they wanted a letter from my banker/atty/cpa/broker verifying my income/address.

I sent that to them. Now they want my Tax Returns and other things. All that for a $1000 card that already they said it is approved? I said heck with them. As far as I am concerned they can keep their card. I have excellent Visa / MC with very good limits and I am going to stick with what I have instead of feeling bad how Amex treated me.

As per your baddies on your CR it is always good to get them out of your CR. Focus on getting your baddies removed. Good Luck.

Thanks concorduser for the support. I am just kicking myself for the inquiry more than anything. I went through a phase back in July when I applied for a bunch of credit to increase my score (and got none of it), so I have 7 inquiries on my TU and EX reports and 10 on EQ. Now I worry that I'm in a lose-lose situation. Even if I wait until I feel sure that I would get approved for new credit, the inquiries will hurt. We really want to buy a house this year, so I'm worried that I really messed up with the inquiries.

I am definitely going after those two baddies though, no matter what, and I feel pretty good about my chances. Not sure why, just a good feeling...

Anyway, thanks!
Message 15 of 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hi, TracyFace, one thing I did once I started really understanding how all this stuff works is write out a plan for what I wanted to do with credit: what changes I wanted to make on my credit reports, and what cards I wanted to eventually apply for and why. I have this on a notepad note on my laptop, and when I get twitchy, I open it up and read through it. As I have learned more, I have modified the plan, but it's still there, and it helps me keep focused.

This really helps me control my impulses. For instance, I finally got a pre-approval letter yesterday for the AAA Visa from FIA/ BOA, 0% BT for 15 months. I called them up, and they said that I was in the category for the signature card (their highest CL.) But I know now that that's not a guarantee, and I read through my plan again, and it helps me wait until the right time. I don't want to screw up my chances for a Discover by jumping too early on this one.

Anyway, this is coming from someone with occasional impulse control issues! But maybe it will help you too. Good luck on the house! WAY more important than a plastic rectangle. Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Hi, TracyFace, one thing I did once I started really understanding how all this stuff works is write out a plan for what I wanted to do with credit: what changes I wanted to make on my credit reports, and what cards I wanted to eventually apply for and why. I have this on a notepad note on my laptop, and when I get twitchy, I open it up and read through it. As I have learned more, I have modified the plan, but it's still there, and it helps me keep focused.

This really helps me control my impulses. For instance, I finally got a pre-approval letter yesterday for the AAA Visa from FIA/ BOA, 0% BT for 15 months. I called them up, and they said that I was in the category for the signature card (their highest CL.) But I know now that that's not a guarantee, and I read through my plan again, and it helps me wait until the right time. I don't want to screw up my chances for a Discover by jumping too early on this one.

Anyway, this is coming from someone with occasional impulse control issues! But maybe it will help you too. Good luck on the house! WAY more important than a plastic rectangle. Smiley Wink

Good advice. I like to write out goals on idex cards and put them on the fridge.
Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Good advice. I like to write out goals on idex cards and put them on the fridge.

My fridge is full of things!! House, pics when I was 21, new Jimmy Choos, and all kinds of take-out menus (which is probably not going to help me get back to me back to my 21 yo body).
Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

That's funny... I just started doing this exact thing at work this afternoon! So far, it is basically a list of letters to write, what to pay when, things to keep my eyes open for... As I learn more, I'll add to it. Right now, I'm not sure what to expect from some of my actions, so I don't really know how to time things yet. I'm definitely a lot smarter today than I was two days ago though! I do feel a lot better having it. Thanks!
Message 19 of 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
My fridge is full of things!! House, pics when I was 21, new Jimmy Choos, and all kinds of take-out menus (which is probably not going to help me get back to me back to my 21 yo body).

You have shoes hanging off your fridge? You must post a picture of this!!!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.