cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I figured as a 19 year old it would be harder than this..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured as a 19 year old it would be harder than this..

I've been an authorized user of 2 of my father's cards since 2005 or so

last year in january i applied for a discover more - student and was approved for a 1000 limit

a few months later i applied for an amex zync and got a npsl

a few months later i applied for a chase freedom 3000 limit

a few months later (today) i got word that my sapphire preferred app was approved as well for 5000

Its interesting, i've been lurking here for a long time so I am handling my credit very responsibly; but i figured after the whole crackdown of SIGN UP FOR OUR CARD AND GET A WATER BOTTLE!!!! offers it would be a bit tougher to get prime cards especially for newbies like myself.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: I figured as a 19 year old it would be harder than this..

Well congrats on the good success 

have you checked your reports/ scores? 

im 21 and am building my scores 

im not sure if your dads aaoa (on the cards your on effect your aaoa) 

i was never an au and i have never gotten any offers. was actually denied for the first 5 cards i ever applied for. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

creditkarma lists me as 725 or so

i dont know if thats a result of responsible utilization or what 

anyway whats next for me? should i just garden until its time to finance a car or something? haha

Message 3 of 10
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

well depends on what you want to do? 

are you in school? work?   

is that your ultimate goal? to finance a car? 

seems like you have enough credit. just garden and when something comes up, reevaluate. 

credit karma is not a fico score. it is a FAKO score. 

i can copy and paste the difference but basically its not the actual score but can sometimes be close. (but really isn't worth anything)

the ones lenders look at are FICO ones. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i'm a sophmore in college and i do work, yeah

i have no ultimate goal really i just remember reading when i was 16 or so that it is really important to start using credit responsibly as early as you can to build for your future

i know ck is a FAKO but for someone like me who has no reason to pay for a fico it's my basis. my myfico trial that i got a few months ago listed me in the 680 range i believe.

Message 5 of 10
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

IM in the same boat. IM now letting all my cards age with pif. 

I suggest you do the same. 

From what I've read with three good cards reporting only let 1 report a balance of 1-9 percent. im not sure how npsl work for utilization, but as long as you keep under 400 a month reporting on one card you'll be golden. 

Another thing don't wait till the last day its due. (you obviously wouldn't playing the utilization game)

I did that with one of the cards I had and did not realize the repercussions it could have if I didn't get to the store that day to pay it. (luckily I did)

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 6 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

If you have no goals, just sit back and let your cards grow and pay your bills on time and you will be at 800+ FICO before you know it, You have enough cards to get the maximum credit scores. keep UTL under 10%. When you reach an 800 FICO score,   You can basicly get what ever you want credit wise and banks fight over who will get to help you. 

Play it safe now you don't want to destroy all the hardwork that you have done and the work your dad put into your credit report by making you an AU on his cards. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any reason that Discover is so stubborn with their cli's?

i can't get an increase from 1000 without a hard pull and they only give .05 cash back unless you spend 3000 bucks

Its basically sockdrawered for me besides for the occasional shopdiscover purchase

Message 8 of 10
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any reason that Discover is so stubborn with their cli's?

i can't get an increase from 1000 without a hard pull and they only give .05 cash back unless you spend 3000 bucks

Its basically sockdrawered for me besides for the occasional shopdiscover purchase

discover is not the onlyone that hardpulls. 

if you can support 3k in spending a month just charge 900 and then pay it. rinse and repeat. 

5percent cash back is about as good as it gets. remember its money you get back that you already spent. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 9 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Your dad did you a huge favor by adding you as an AU and I'm assuming he has taught you the importance of spending only what you can pay etc...

Good work! Best idea is to garden your cards and try to get some money saved back for future goals. Suddenly there are a lot more options later in life if you set yourself up with a strong financial foundation.

Congrats and good luck to you in the future!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.