cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I filed chapter 13 over 1 year ago can i apply for a secure credit card?

tag
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

I filed chapter 13 over 1 year ago can i apply for a secure credit card?

I called my Trustee's office and spoke with one of his assistants and was told that I could apply for a secured credit card, but I remember someone telling us that we needed the trustee's permission to get a credit card. I don't think the assistant gave me the correct info. Can anyone help with this?

Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I filed chapter 13 over 1 year ago can i apply for a secure credit card?

In our state, you need the trustee's permission for any major purchase (i.e. car) or mortgage.  If the trustee's assistant gave you a go-ahead for a secured card, then you're good to go.  I would note the date and time of the conversation, along with the assistant's name in your records.  I don't know how your experience has been with the Trustee's office - in our case we found they were not very cordial (major understatement - I would say "snotty" would be an accurate assessment) but they were accurate.

I think a secured card during BK is genius.  Wish I would have known about this during our CH. 13 - I would definitely have chosen this option.

Good luck!

Message Edited by beamMEup on 11-03-2009 01:08 PM
Message 2 of 3
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

Re: I filed chapter 13 over 1 year ago can i apply for a secure credit card?

Thank You for you Help!
Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.