cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got Approved For the AMEX Platinum Card last night!!! Woohoo!! But....

tag
lurk2mem1
Valued Member

Re: I got Approved For the AMEX Platinum Card last night!!! Woohoo!! But....

@ArisGreek wrote:

Congrats on the approval! Make sure you sign up for all the perks like priority pass select, car rental memberships, global entry, etc.

Global Entry was painless too, as a matter of fact, I just got approved today pending my interview.  What a great feature. AMEX says it takes 4-8 weeks to process the credit, but they credited my account 2 days after I paid for it. Awesome!!!

Make sure you also visit americanexpress.com/platinum.  It has ALL of the benefits there.

Thanks for the heads up on that Aris. I was so excited I look at damn near all the benefitsSmiley Happy  I also looked at a thread here opened from young guy who just got the Plat. There was some great information in there as well.

I got was able to get the 50k MR points offer. You spend 3k in 3 months and you get 50K MRs. Nice. I wish I would have gotten in on the 100K MR promotion a few months back.

Credit Cards

Store Cards
i
Message 21 of 29
lurk2mem1
Valued Member

@Walt_K wrote:

I would cancel Green as well.  In 10 years, when it drops from your reports, if Amex's backdating policy is still the same, you could always add it again if you wanted to and it would show up again with the same open date.  But you probably won't care in 10 years.

Walt and Koop,

I've decided I'm going to cancel. If I have the Plat, there's really no benefit to using the Green. But...

Should I wait another month then cancel? Keep it open until December?

I know that closing the account wont hurt my score right now as it will stay on my CR for 10 years, but does Amex care about this? (For $450, they better not!!)

Credit Cards

Store Cards
i
Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd go ahead and cancel it now.  I'm sure Amex will be more than happy that you decided to go ahead get a platinum.  I can't see them caring about closing the green.

Message 23 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd go ahead and cancel it now.  I'm sure Amex will be more than happy that you decided to go ahead get a platinum.  I can't see them caring about closing the green.

+1.  I don't think they care why you close an account ever, except to the extent they want to keep you as a customer.  I certainly wouldn't expect them to take some kind of AA on another account because you closed your Green.  That would just drive more business away.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 29
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@lurk2mem1 wrote:

Walt and Koop,

I've decided I'm going to cancel. If I have the Plat, there's really no benefit to using the Green. But...

I know that closing the account wont hurt my score right now as it will stay on my CR for 10 years, but does Amex care about this? (For $450, they better not!!)

So did you pay the $95 AF for the Green when your first statment cut in February ?   If you have already paid then I guess you could leave the card open unless they will refund the AF.    Also AMEX has several promotions where they waive the first year AF for charge cards ~ you could also ask them to do this.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

@lurk2mem1 wrote:

Walt and Koop,

So did you pay the $95 AF for the Green when your first statment cut in February ?   If you have already paid then I guess you could leave the card open unless they will refund the AF.    Also AMEX has several promotions where they waive the first year AF for charge cards ~ you could also ask them to do this.

I believe the AF is prorated so even if you paid already you will get most (if not all) of it back.

Message 26 of 29
lurk2mem1
Valued Member

Re: I got Approved For the AMES Platinum Card last night!!! Wahoo!! But....

@Walt_K wrote:

@Cookbooks wrote:

I'd go ahead and cancel it now.  I'm sure Ames will be more than happy that you decided to go ahead get a platinum.  I can't see them caring about closing the green.

+1.  I don't think they care why you close an account ever, except to the extent they want to keep you as a customer.  I certainly wouldn't expect them to take some kind of AA on another account because you closed your Green.  That would just drive more business away.

Thanks guys.I'm going to cancel the green in a few weeks.

Once again this board has been invaluable to me in the past 3 months!!

Credit Cards

Store Cards
i
Message 27 of 29
lurk2mem1
Valued Member

@pizzadude wrote:

@lurk2mem1 wrote:

Walt and Koop,

Actually, the first year AF is waived, so no worries there.

Credit Cards

Store Cards
i
Message 28 of 29
RyVision
Valued Contributor

It's funny that everyone is saying AMEX will drop off after 10 years.  That's not always the case. If you keep an AMEX charge over 18 months, it will often report to at least 1 CB (EX) after that (18 months is also what it takes to lock in your MS date with them for BDing).

My AMEX Green from 1989 reported up until I got the ZYNC last fall.   It wouldn't always show up, at times it would show up on 2 CBs, sometimes only EX. (it showed up on EQ the least of the 3).  It was closed in late 1991 (by me).

After I got the ZYNC, the two reported for a couple months (at least to EX, I'd have to see if I could find TU), then the old green vanished. Smiley Frustrated

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.