cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got tired of the Cap 1 song & dance!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got tired of the Cap 1 song & dance!!!!

Hello all!!!

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders!!! After 14 years and 15 days of being a Cap 1 customer, I CLOSED my account. For the past 2 years, I have been trying to get them to lower my interest rate and remove the monthly $5 fee that they are charging me without success. 

I was tired of the BS and getting the runaround!!! And yes, I called the EO. I dont have any more time to waste. You know what's funny though? They purchased Household back in 2013 and that gave me 2 accounts with them. Since acquiring my HH account, it has transformed from a regualr mastercard to Quick Silver 1, with an annual fee, to a Quick Silver with no annual fee. The interest rate still sucks but IDC because I run 1 transaction through it a year and PIF immediately just to keep it open. 

I was sick of "you have to wait to receive an offer" or "close this account and reapply for another card" foolishness. Meanwhile, Cap 1 is collecting $60 from me annually. I appreciate Cap 1 being there for me when I needed them and I worked hard to retain our relationship. Apparently, keeping me as a customer was NOT important to them. I understand the value of a $1, so I can't keep throwing my money away. C'est la vie!!!!

Message 1 of 81
80 REPLIES 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I got tired of the Cap 1 song & dance!!!!

Congrats! Smiley Very Happy Letting go of dead weight can be liberating.
Message 2 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 transaction a year.? I hear alot of stories of people complaining about CapONE whom barely use their cards. I use them heavily and they treat me great, trade off I guess.

Message 3 of 81
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh yeah! I closed 4 cap 1 cards several months ago (maybe a year) and I have no regrets. All I wanted was for them to remove the annual fees and they kept refusing. I decided that I didn'r need to keep paying those fees. I've never contacted the EO, though. I was unwilling to jump through those hoops for the paltry credit lines.

Since then they've been sending me "we want you back" offers.I'm only showing luv to the issuers that show me luv!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 4 of 81
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Pshh Thats right you dont need them.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 5 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

1 transaction a year.? I hear alot of stories of people complaining about CapONE whom barely use their cards. I use them heavily and they treat me great, trade off I guess.

I am happy that Cap 1 values you as a client. However, Cap 1 is not my only rewards card so, like you, I use the card that treats me well. Good luck!!!

Message 6 of 81
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

used em a lot over the past 4 mos ........NADA from them..........I've charged over 30% each month and paid'em off.......even let one month report a balance still nothing worth having.  I have an old HSBC card that morphed into a Venture One but they keep the interest rate at the hsbc rate of over 28%.   I've moved from neutral to highly dislike Cap1.

Message 7 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SpiceIslander wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh yeah! I closed 4 cap 1 cards several months ago (maybe a year) and I have no regrets. All I wanted was for them to remove the annual fees and they kept refusing. I decided that I didn'r need to keep paying those fees. I've never contacted the EO, though. I was unwilling to jump through those hoops for the paltry credit lines.

Since then they've been sending me "we want you back" offers.I'm only showing luv to the issuers that show me luv!

IDK how long you were a client. For me, it was about preserving the relationship. They were there for me when I needed them which is the ONLY reason why I didn't close the other account. I will confess, the interest rate wasn't my biggest issue. It was the $5 monthly fee that was the nail in the coffin for me. I will ALWAYS appreciate them extending credit to me so I could rebuild. I know on here Cap 1 goes by a different name, but they didn't make me screw up my credit. I did that ALL on my OWN. Good luck!!!

Message 8 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I wouldn't keep my account open if they charged me either. My capital one card isn't with a monthly free.
Message 9 of 81
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I was recently liberated after holding a paltry GM WEMC w/ $600 SL that they refused to grow.

Then even more recently Capital One won my business back with a 10K Venture Card.

Message 10 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.