cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got tired of the Cap 1 song & dance!!!!

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: I got tired of the Cap 1 song & dance!!!!

@alexl22 wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-is-Chase-with-lowering-APRs/m-p/3738616/highlight/t...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Freedom-APR-reduction-vs-closing-reapp/m-p/388993...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Denied-APR-Reduction/m-p/3910217/highlight/true#M...

General consensus is that Chase rarely lowers apr, at least thats what I got from these threads, again YMMV

Chase mostly issues rewards cards.  There's really no reason to be carrying a balance on your rewards cards because you negate any positive returns from the rewards.  If you need a low intro APR they have a card for that in Slate, but for a low ongoing APR you're really better off with a CU card or another card designed to carry a balance like Ring.

Message 41 of 81
alexl22
Regular Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

@alexl22 wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-is-Chase-with-lowering-APRs/m-p/3738616/highlight/t...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Freedom-APR-reduction-vs-closing-reapp/m-p/388993...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Denied-APR-Reduction/m-p/3910217/highlight/true#M...

General consensus is that Chase rarely lowers apr, at least thats what I got from these threads, again YMMV

Chase mostly issues rewards cards.  There's really no reason to be carrying a balance on your rewards cards because you negate any positive returns from the rewards.  If you need a low intro APR they have a card for that in Slate, but for a low ongoing APR you're really better off with a CU card or another card designed to carry a balance like Ring.

I hear that, which is why I have a card with my local CU with apr of 8.75. Again wasnt about apr but about each lender having their quirks

Starting Score: myFICO TU: 542, myFICO EQ: 556 EX: 549 (03/2013)
Current Score: 729 TU, EQ: 702, EX 724

Message 42 of 81
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

what happened to the OP point in this spread which was all about Cap1 and their refusal to lower fees.........now everybody's fav lender is getting pushed up a notch or pulled down.

Message 43 of 81
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Don't have fave, like all. Young poster wants to push buttons.
Signature needs updating
Message 44 of 81
alexl22
Regular Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Don't have fave, like all. Young poster wants to push buttons.

you mean by calling a poster young, referring to their sub 730 scores, trying to refute all points made then when citation to sources for one of those points was posted, i'm in a gotta prove myself right mood. Yup I am here to push buttons lol.

And my orinignal point was that it seems most(not all) cases of not waving fees, or getting cli and such are on products that were bought by capital one. Was just my theory.

works done, have a great day Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: myFICO TU: 542, myFICO EQ: 556 EX: 549 (03/2013)
Current Score: 729 TU, EQ: 702, EX 724

Message 45 of 81
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

it sometimes takes a call to the EO for them to act right

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 46 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you had the same card I have. Had it forever, $500 CL, $5 month fee. It's never grown and they won't remove the fee. I've struggled with this but finally decided I don't need this card anymore. I'm going to close mine too.

@Anonymous wrote:
And Congrats on your decision!

Glad to hear someone else has this card. People seem to think it came from another bank or that the fee is not really $60 annually but it's always been a Cap One card with that fee. I must've paid $600 in fees over the life of this card. Oy.

In the beginning, I didn't mind having the fee. I was rebuilding. It wasn't Cap 1's fault that I had messed up my credit. Since my credit is MUCH better now, I deserve better. Congrats on your decision to close. I would rather save the money then to pay a credit card company a fee to have/use their card. Keep up the good work!!!

Message 47 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wacdenney wrote:

To be honest, you don't see these threads as often as you used to.  I think all Venture cards have made people giddy over Crap1.  At the end of the day though, they're still crap one. 

Congratulations OP!!  I had 2 QS1 cards that I had had for close to 4 years that they refused to work with me on AT ALL.  I was eventually forced to close them both and then literally 2 months later they mailed me a pre-approvaal for the EXACT card I had been trying for nearly 4 years to get them to convert to.  Crap1 sucks people in with their excellent servicing of the sub-prime market.  They are good at servicing that market but at the end of the day they are snakes in the grass.

Thanks! I feel they wanted me to close it. Every person I spoke with said to close and reapply. I know I would have gotten it, but it was NOT worth the HP. I'm happy for people who are happy with Cap 1. I don't begrudge them at all. The card served it's purpose. I've moved on. 

I also had Amanda opt me out of any promotions or mailings from Cap 1. I know that is their strategy. Close an account and then they start bombarding you with pre-approvals. No thank you. 

Again, I'm not bitter. But I can't waste my money or time on a lost cause. I will wait and see what they do to the other card. It's a QS with no annual fee. However the interest rate is really high. Good luck!!!

Message 48 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ecxpa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1 transaction a year.? I hear alot of stories of people complaining about CapONE whom barely use their cards. I use them heavily and they treat me great, trade off I guess.

used em a lot over the past 4 mos ........NADA from them..........I've charged over 30% each month and paid'em off.......even let one month report a balance still nothing worth having.  I have an old HSBC card that morphed into a Venture One but they keep the interest rate at the hsbc rate of over 28%.   I've moved from neutral to highly dislike Cap1.

I don't dislike them. I was tired of the song and dance. They count on people not wanting to lose history or an account which is why they kept advising me to close and reapply to obtain a better card. If I can obtain a better card by app'ing, then they could have swapped the cards out. I will keep using my other cards.

Message 49 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@black_citi wrote:
I might be the minority here. I've been on and off with cap 1 since 2006 and although up until last year they only gave me credit no higher than $500, at least they showed me love when no one else would.

Last year in november I apped for the QS1. Got approved for 2k. 0% apr until June 2015. Sometime last week they AUTO increased me another 2k. Now I have 4k credit in 5 months. I still have the 39 AF which they refuse the waive but I might PC it to the Venture sometine around July or August. My next AF isn't due til November.

I don't know why they wouldn't be willing to show love to you since you've been so loyal for 14 years but good riddance you got rid of em. They seem to pick and choose who they luv. Amex may not luv me as much as Cap1. I can't seem to get a higher credit increase no matter what I do.

I don't want any credit cards with an annual fee. I know there are some really good credit cards out there with one, but they are not for me. I would rather save my money. I go months without using a credit card sometimes longer so it's BEST for me. They probably were unwilling to do anything because I REFUSED to use it. 

The good fortune Cap 1 has shown you was shown to me by BOA. I app'ed for their cash rewards credit card and received a SL of $800. Within 5 months my CL soared to 6K. 

I am happy that Cap 1 serves your needs. Keep up the good work!!!

Message 50 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.