cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess Barclays doesn't like you to have more than one card with them?

tag
Thammer
New Contributor

I guess Barclays doesn't like you to have more than one card with them?

I have had the Barclay's NFL Rewards card for about a year now and have had one CLI in the last month from them. They doubled my limit so I can't complain. So I decided that since my TU has few inquiries and is currently one of my higher scores I'd app for their Rewards Mastercard that gives 2x points on gas, groceries, utilities for those months where my Freedom isn't doing 5% on gas etc. I was declined unfortunately for the following reason:

"We feel that you have a sufficient credit line with Barclays"

That's it, no other reason on the letter. I called the backdoor number and spoke to a credit analyst and he said that was it. They liked my history with them, saw I had a good credit report, but felt that after the recent CLI that I had hit the maximum internal limit with them for now.

Oh well at least it was only a pull on TU my least pulled report. Is that the norm with them?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Re: I guess Barclays doesn't like you to have more than one card with them?

Some people have more than one card with them, but according to what I read in their card member blog, fewer than 2-3% of their cardholders have more than 1 card.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 2 of 3
HiLine
Blogger

Re: I guess Barclays doesn't like you to have more than one card with them?

It's not that they don't like you to have multiple cards. They gave you the reason: they don't want to give you more credit than warranted. If you are interested in another card, tell them to transfer the limit from the old card. If they refuse, ask for a credit limit decrease and re-apply.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.