cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess I should have seen this coming... (AMEX FR)

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Re: I guess I should have seen this coming... (AMEX FR)

@yfan wrote:
Except there is no indication here that Amex is doing an FR for the OP here for MSing. OP has expressly stated that all his expenditure was not only normal spend but non-category spend.

Quite right in this case.  That was more of a somwhat-off-topic comment that I have been wanting to make every time I see these FR threads.

Invariably when someone starts an FR thread, the folks replying pile on with "we're not getting the whole story!" or "were you making any suspicious purchases?", etc.  Sure Amex can do whatever they want.  That's not the point.  The point is it doesn't make too much sense for Amex to FR someone for MSing, and it doesn't make too much sense to accuse an FR recipient of same.  If the purchases are suspicious why not just close down the account without the manpower spend on the FR, as the FR will not yield any useful info on these suspicious purchases.

I can only assume Amex knows what they're doing and they behave in a logical manner, and in their best interests.  Therefore it logically follows (in my mind) that Amex probably will not FR for MSing (below your income level), and probably never has.  The accusations/hints make less sense than the FRs to me.

I wish Google indexed entire threads as a whole rather than individual pages.  I'd love to run some stats and see what percentage of FR threads someone has used the phrase "whole story".

Message 71 of 77
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@core wrote:

OK I knew I should not have used the words "prove" and "disprove".  Let us not dwell on that error.

How about this version:  If a person is suspected to be MSing, last year's tax return doesn't even "indicate" whether or not that is the case.

As for "indicating" whether a person is in trouble, I still maintain a tax return does not show this.  If I have a $200k income and $200k worth of unavoidable household expenses (which do NOT appear on my return), I'm in just as much trouble as a person who makes $0.  

Nowhere in any post on this site did I say that a credit card company owes anybody anything.  Not once.  Straw man argument.

IME, Amex doesn't FR for suspected MSing, they just shut down the card.       But even in the general case, one of the unavoidable features of good MSing is that there is a lot of spend.   (If you are not spending multiples of your income, you need to try harder!)    And presumably Amex doesn't care (much) if you are MSing on other cards, just theirs, so if the spend on your Amex is a very significant fraction of the income noted on last year's tax returns, there can be at least grounds for suspicion.    Yes, maybe you just inherited $2M from your grandfather (all in $500 Visa Gift Cards as it happens) but if they do FR, you have the chance to explain.

ETA: Just saw core's post, so we agree!

Message 72 of 77
taxi818
Super Contributor

colbert-popcorn.gif

Message 73 of 77
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Multiple non FSR posts have been removed from this thread, PMs will be sent to the appropriate people for their actions. All posts must be done in a FSR manner and you must respect each other without exception. I also suggest speculation be avoided and the facts as presented be debated. I thank you for your cooperation.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Friendly-Supportive-and-Respectful-2-6-14/td-p/2797125

Message 74 of 77
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Anyways ,OP is MIA after being so worried over the weekend. Hope all went well with the FR

#AllNewsAintGoodNews

Message 75 of 77
core
Valued Contributor

@ScoreOrBeScored wrote:

Anyways ,OP is MIA after being so worried over the weekend. Hope all went well with the FR

#AllNewsAintGoodNews

Yes, I hope it all went well for him too.  I can certainly understand having real life obligations but I think lots of us are on the edge of our seats over this.  The tax extension I'm concerned with, in particular.

(Mod Cut)

Message 76 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX FR...I am really offended!!!

I'm the OP. 

I tried to respond, while at work today, and noticed the thread was closed. Anyhow, my panic is completely subsided. I called in, within minutes of the call center, opening and was able to successfully reach my account manager. 

To make things short, my Extension is fine. I'll just need to get a letter from the Internal Revenue Service and submit it (showing a confirmation of my extension) and I just need to fill out a 4506-T Form, for last years returns and submit it. They don't want, nor care about Bank Statements, W2's/1099's, or etc. Just that 1056-T Form. 

I do have a full 30 days, from today to submit all of this. So... I'm not into total freakout mode. The only thing upsetting, is the fact... that they refused to tell me anything regarding the reason my account was picked for a FR.

However

*He did ask, if I had made or attempted to make a Political Contribution with my card* (I had been invited to a dinner party for a Senator, and I used my Amex card for a donation, because I didn't bring my checkbook)

Why in the world they'd care about that I have no idea. But, I have a good feeling in my head, that's probably what caused it. 

Anyway. I'm going to submit my 4506-T Form, and I'm should get a response within 7 Days, after they review it. (He pretty much assured me, by submitting it, I shouldn't have any more problems) So I feel really good about this. 

To all of those, that responded and talked to me, I want to personally say thank you. And, I appreciate all of it. Smiley Happy 

I'll keep you guys in the loop, and tell you how it goes. But, I'm not too worried anymore. 

Message 77 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.