Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess no really means yes nowadays?

tag
Cuzer
Established Member

I guess no really means yes nowadays?

I had a previous thread here about paying off a old charged off account with Capital One and planned to pay the whole thing off in full with a certified check. I appreciate and thankful to all who helped me in figuring out how to pay this. However, lately it seems like a No from Capital One turns into a Yes right after.

Im in the process of rebuilding my credit since I crashed and burned back in 2010 with the financial/markets sector situation. I had a charged off account with Capital One and applied for the QuickSilver One card and they gave me a $300 limit, Which is fine and I understand since my credit went to sh*t. 6 months later i requested a credit line increase and they bumped it up to $550. The following month I tried to get another CLI through the website and was declined. I called them and they transferred me to a higher level representative, I said I was going to be making larger purchases and it would be a pain to pay my card and wait for the payment to clear. The representative on the phone said "I'm sorry but we can not increase your credit limit month to month back to back, Please try again in 6 months", I said Ok that fine. The next day I went out shopping and checked my Capital One account, They bumped me up to $1050.

I sent them a goodwill letter and see if they would delete my charged off account since i mailed them a certified check for every dime i owe. They sent me back a letter stating that they could not delete accurate information from my credit report and they would continue to report my charge off as paid. I called them and they declined the request for deleting my charge off. I simply said Ok Thank you. 

I noticed a bunch of offers for credit cards in my email inbox all of a sudden and was also alerted that my credit score dropped by 18 points. I went in to check my credit report. Capital One has removed the charge off completely. I find it strange, although im thankful that even when declined, they seem to change their minds and do things out of the blue. I encourage those who are struggling to get approvals to keep trying. You just never know with these creditors. Again, Thanks to everyone who gave me some good Info/advice.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: I guess no really means yes nowadays?

Great storySmiley Happy

Never look a gift Capitol One in the mouthSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your score DROPPED 18 after they removed the charge off?

Message 3 of 9
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

If it was the only baddie and it dropped off he may have been rebucketed. The score will bounce back in couple of months.
Message 4 of 9
Cuzer
Established Member

Yeah it dropped 18 points. At first I was thinking **bleep**, but then I figured it may have dropped due to that account being my oldest account. So now it looks like I have a short credit history. I'm not sure but thats what im thinking. I know it will probably go back up over time and as my credit lines increase. I'd rather have that charge off not shown at all and im very surprised that they completely removed it. I have read that Capital One can be tough to deal with.

My Credit Report looks much better now other than a **bleep** New York Tax Lien I have that i paid off 3 years ago. I didnt even know about it until i took a look at my report and i immediately paid the whole thing off. Ive been trying to get that off my report but no luck.

Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah i know when one of my oldest accounts dropped off my TU, my brief stint at 700 came to a crashing halt as it was gelping my aaol but when that went all i had left were my new cards i have started in my rebuild.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

l I would take a clean file over a higher score all day long. It's like having a perfect body but everyone knows you have herpes That is why Bank of America US Bank, Blispay don't want me, its because of my paid charge-offs.  My score is fine,  all barely over 700 again. 

Message 7 of 9
Cuzer
Established Member

Getting rid of that charge off on my report has definitely helped me out. I'm going to see if I can change my QuickSilver One card over to just a QuickSilver card to eliminate the annual fee. Since I do travel sometimes and use a lot of cabs, I decided to apply for the Venture Card. I just got approved for $10,000. I have apps like UBER and Hotels Tonight that I do use and this card would help with discounted rates. I'm probbaly done with applying for new credit for now but this should bump up my score in the coming months. KC says I could see a Transunion score of 740 but what im going to do is get all 3 Fico scores from MyFico in December and take an overall look at my reports.

It's tough by im going to try to get rid of that NY State Tax Lien. That is the only sh*t stain on my reports and it sucks to have it on there even though its fully paid off. I might as well keep pushing to clean everything up while the momentum is going. Started early this year with a $300 credit line and now at $11,050 line. Good stuff!.

Also, By the way, I thought the Venture was a MasterCard?  It says Visa Signature.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

l I would take a clean file over a higher score all day long. It's like having a perfect body but everyone knows you have herpes That is why Bank of America US Bank, Blispay don't want me, its because of my paid charge-offs.  My score is fine,  all barely over 700 again. 

That gave me a chuckle! Ha! Someone once told me on another credit board many years ago, that having a high FICO with a "dirty" file was like owning a porsche, but living on a gravel road.

Along those lines, a year ago I was trying to get 3 baddies removed early from all three bureaus. They just had about 3-4 months to go, (can't recall exactly). Two did it right away, no problem. But the 3rd was a stickler. I even asked to speak to a manager, but she was adamant. Next day, I got an email saying all three baddies had been deleted! Wow! So, yeah, sometimes, "absolutely not you ugly kid" sometimes means "okie dokie!"

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.