Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess the Zync rumors were not true

tag
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

I guess the Zync rumors were not true

there was some rumors that on November 1st Amex would revamp the Zync, I guess that was not true, has anyone heard anything new?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: I guess the Zync rumors were not true

I kinda doubt that they bring back the Zync. I'd be willing to bet that not many people at all applied for the card, and their results were mixed at best. 

Outside of getting your foot in the door with Amex, there didn't seem to be much benefit in holding a Zync card. The rewards were not worth very much unless linked to another Amex card account. 

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 2 of 16
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

i'm not touching this thread as I'll get the ERTs all over my behind.....

There has been this "rumor" occasionally about return of the Zync and that I've been googling just about everyday for any updates...but i guess so far no go.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 16
jgodfrey82
Regular Contributor

Ive been waiting for someone to bring zync back up.. why isnt holding one worth it? I know it has member rewards express points, I redeem 10k of them at a time for home depot $100 GC's. Is this not the same point value I would receive if I had a gold card? I earn a point per dollar spent with my zync and it only costs me $25 AF. Also it is always a rare card, cashiers are always suprised.
Message 4 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jgodfrey82 wrote:
Ive been waiting for someone to bring zync back up.. why isnt holding one worth it? I know it has member rewards express points, I redeem 10k of them at a time for home depot $100 GC's. Is this not the same point value I would receive if I had a gold card? I earn a point per dollar spent with my zync and it only costs me $25 AF. Also it is always a rare card, cashiers are always suprised.

Since they are not MR (if the Zync is the only card) the difference between this and the gold (or other MR) is that you cannot transfer the points to partners, such as airlines and/or hotels.  

If gift cards are all you want, there are many many free cards out there that give you 1 point = 1 cent for gift cards, that also have, for free enhanced earning categories

Message 5 of 16
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@jgodfrey82 wrote:

I recently saw an article on Warren Buffett, at a financial website, about "what's in your wallet".  He pulled out a Green card (member since 1964), but wouldn't divulge any other cards.  The author speculated that Mr. Buffett also perhaps had a Centurion or "the mythical white card" that only a select few have.  Apparently the author of that article has some knowledge of the rarity of our unicorns!!!

BRING BACK THE UNICORN ! ! ! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 16
lithium78
Established Contributor

No big loss. There are many better cards out there than the Zync, even for young people starting out in life. The rewards program was pretty poor.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 16
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

It was a great card to me, not the greatest rewards but they fitted my spending and the AF was reasonable. 

Message 8 of 16
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@slap_happy wrote:
there was some rumors that on November 1st Amex would revamp the Zync, I guess that was not true, has anyone heard anything new?

The rumor that I heard was "sometime next year."  This is the first I've seen a hard date fixed to the rumor.  Anyway, these are all FOAF type sources, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@espnjunkie wrote:

I kinda doubt that they bring back the Zync. I'd be willing to bet that not many people at all applied for the card, and their results were mixed at best. 

Outside of getting your foot in the door with Amex, there didn't seem to be much benefit in holding a Zync card. The rewards were not worth very much unless linked to another Amex card account. 

I think Zync has alot of potential and hope (and think) they might revive the card.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.