Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate Amex... again.

tag
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: I hate Amex... again.

They are so nasty, WPP.  I am so sorry this is happening to you. AMEX is just awful lately

One of their collection people lied to me 4 months ago, after a CSR told me the file was due to drop in June and she personally wouldn't pay it (I was trying to get a mortgage).  I called collections, explained what had happened in my conversation with CSR, and actually offered to pay half of the payment if they would remove it from my report immediately, since it was due off in June.

She was NASTY.  Told me CSR lied, said it would never go away, etc.  offered me a new AMEX if I paid in full (Yeah, right!!!)  tried to get CSR's name to report her, etc...and refused my offer.  Since then they soft me twice a month, but reports do confirm it should drop in May 2009.

Looking back, CSR was an angel in disguise.  I can at least understand the collections account people's treatment of me--EX H owes them $4000!  But I cannot believe that AMEX is resorting to such disgusting behavior toward customers like yourself.  Ugh.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 21 of 40
Established Contributor

@WhirledPeasPlease wrote:

I just wanted to warn some of you that they may start coming after you and your charge cards.  Beware.

I am sorry to hear of your Amex plight. Amex is broke and it has to increase cash flow any way it can. Amex probably would like everybody to go online and pay all current balances (as they post) every single day. 

Personally Amex has never done one single thing to hurt me or my credit standing. I have avoided Amex like the plague as a result of all of the warnings posted in this forum and all over the web.

I know there are still many people who love Amex. I personally don't deal with businesses that suffer from Bipolar Disorder.

Thanks for still another warning about Amex. Maybe it might help keep others from having anything to do with a Bipolar bank that is frequently "off it's meds".

Message Edited by CreditAble on 03-19-2009 11:19 AM
Message 22 of 40
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Flo wrote:

Peas,

may I ask where you live?

Indiana -- why?

I'm guessing you're asking because of the foreclosure risk and the fact that some CCCs are cutting people based on locality.  We have the most affordable housing market in the country (for a  major metro area) and I'm in a very stable/fairly wealthy area.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 23 of 40
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Some times it could also depend on the card type? How about you upgrade your green to gold / Delta to Blue or Clear and see if that helps. With Gold obviously considered as higher up card and green as low end card. So is Delta considered as subprime amex card. May be doing a product to a different card would help?
Message 24 of 40
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

It just keeps getting better.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of this -- but eh, they've frozen my Delta card as well.  It figures.  I called and got the response that "one card impacts them all when they're on hold waiting for payment".  I questioned why I wasn't told this YESTERDAY when I was on the phone about the orig issue.  Of course, the CSR had no response for me except that she was sorry.

I'm sorry I ever got an Amex.

Oh, and for the record there's a zero balance on my Delta card.  It only sees OnStar and Credit Secure on a monthly basis, unless I decide to tempt the beast and use it in public.  Bad move on my part to do this today.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 25 of 40
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Trust me, once you pay off the balance on your green, ask them to do a product change to Gold Charg / Blue or Clear Credit Card and see how it differs. My scores are only around 680-685, I got Plum card and CSR said I am good upto $20K / Month to charge. ( Not that I am stupid to charge that much and get into trouble with Amex). Ask for product change, I am sure it will help you a lot.
Message 26 of 40
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

At the moment I'm emotional about it (really pi$$ed) and want nothing to do with Amex.  I don't want to pay the higher AF w/ the Gold.  I seriously doubt they'd show me any love at the moment.  I'm not willing to take a hard inq for them.

I'm seriously considering BT'ing the balance to Cap1 just to get rid of them.

I've cancelled all of the autopay things on the cards except for CS.

Technically my next payment to them isn't due until April 23rd.  I think paying April 22nd will make me feel better.

If I cancel this card, how does that affect my warranty coverage for things I've purchased on the card?  I know how to find this, but was just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 27 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. The nabbed your other card, too. Screw Amex. I seriously don't think I will EVER apply for an Amex. Not sure what will happen with you previously purchased items and the warranty coverage, but I would suggest that moving forward you get a cobranded Amex and use it for the warranty coverage and then you won't have to deal with Amex forgetting to take their medication. Jerks.
Message 28 of 40
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I know it is very upsetting. Take a deep breath and let the time heal your pain. Slowly increase spending on the card and build up credit. It is not worth loosing your sleep over it. I used to get very upset with these things before, I learned to over come my feelings about these things.
Message 29 of 40
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

UpUpUp wrote:
Wow. The nabbed your other card, too. Screw Amex. I seriously don't think I will EVER apply for an Amex. Not sure what will happen with you previously purchased items and the warranty coverage, but I would suggest that moving forward you get a cobranded Amex and use it for the warranty coverage and then you won't have to deal with Amex forgetting to take their medication. Jerks.

Yup, my BofA Amex will see some love once again. 

Ironically, when I log into my Amex acct the Delta still shows all of my avail credit.  Jerks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.