cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate it when banks lie about inquiries (BofA) (USAA)

tag
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

I hate it when banks lie about inquiries (BofA) (USAA)

I had to ask B of A a question yesterday about a funds transfer on my Visa. While I had him on the phone I asked whether it will be a HP or SP for a CLI. It would be a soft, he told me. So I gave him my info and before he hit submit i re-confirmed, this will only be a SP, right? I do not authorize a HP. Correct, he said, it will be a soft. They'll let me know their decision in 7-10 business days.

Well since I am writing about this here, what do you think they did? Bam, a HP on my TU this morning. So I called and talked to an analyst, and said I did not authorize a HP, and pulling without my permission is against the FCRA, please make it go away. He gave me a BS line about how it's in the Terms & Conditions, any CLI request is permissible purpose for them to hard pull. I said OK I understand that's a reasonable policy, but tell your freakin employees not to lie to me about it. (I said it nicer than that, no need to be a d-bag) Well I decided I wasn't going to win the fight so at least tell me the status of the CLI. Declined, we'll send you a letter explaining why in - you guessed it - 7-10 business days. It only brings my HPs up to 5 instead of 4 but it still ruffles my feathers. I'm still thinking about sending a non-PP letter.

USAA did this exact same thing to me last year. I called and asked if it would be HP or SP, he didn't know what the difference was. I educated him then had him transfer me to another rep who told me it would be soft. I believed him because my previous CLI had been soft. Wrong! At least I got the CLI though.

Discover on the other hand is excellent about specifying whether it will be HP and getting permission. BofA, USAA, get with the program!

Maybe I should put an active duty alert on my CRs so they can't pull these shenanigans.

Maybe I should just kick myself for not following a rule I should know better: ALWAYS ASSUME ASKING FOR A CLI WILL RESULT IN A HARD PULL!

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
HiLine
Blogger

Re: I hate it when banks lie about inquiries (BofA) (USAA)

You should talk to your BofA personal banker if you have one and get him/her to help you. I successfully removed a CLI request-induced hard pull from BofA this way.

Message 2 of 6
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Lol at least you have a sense of humour.

I hate that stupid 7-10 business day response.  Hard or soft pull whats the difference we are pulling your report right?  Seriously though the 7-10 message is computer generated so why cant the CSR's see what the almighty computer just spit out.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@LTomBerry wrote:

ALWAYS ASSUME ASKING FOR A CLI WILL RESULT IN A HARD PULL!

+1.

Message 4 of 6
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@LTomBerry wrote:

USAA did this exact same thing to me last year. I called and asked if it would be HP or SP, he didn't know what the difference was. I educated him then had him transfer me to another rep who told me it would be soft. I believed him because my previous CLI had been soft. Wrong! At least I got the CLI though.

Though not knowing the difference isn't specific to USAA, I have to say that I have been really REALLY (and I mean REALLY) disapointed in USAA's Customer Service lately.

I have been a USAA memeber wayyyy back when.  So long that I can remember when there never was such a thing as "partial" or "limited" members.  And don't even get me started on that sheesh! lol

But USAA's Customer Service has gone down hill.  So bad down hill that I can't even believe that its the same USAA.

What USAA will NOT tell you is that they OUTSOURCE!  Yep!! No longer is a USAA Rep an Actual USAA Rep.  USAA has been outsourcing their Customer Service to 3rd party call centers for several years now.  

Maybe that's why USAA's Customer Service sucks now.

Anyways to get back on track, Yeah it sucks when you get bad customer service and the CSRs lie and/or don't have a clue to what they are talking about.

P.S . USAA hates to admit they that Outsource and it is a big secret.  They rather not let their members know that they outsource.

Message 5 of 6
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Do NOT assume these CSRs are well trained. Many of them cannot tell a difference between SP and HP because they were not trained to distinguish the difference. Out of all the calls they are getting, very few will question whether it is SP or HP.

It is correct that lenders have the rights to HP you at anytime. It is written on T&C if you ever bother to read it (which you should). When you use the card, you agreed to T&C.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.