cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have Amex Platinum Charge can I get Green Charge?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have Amex Platinum Charge can I get Green Charge?

I have Amex Platinum Charge Card now. When I tried to get AU card for my Daugther it costs me $175/ year for AU. I am thinking it might be cheper to get a Green Card and make her AU on that card. Do you think Amex would give me a Green Card for me now that I have Platinum Card? If they dont want to give me Green Card should ask them to down grade my Platinum to Green and then get an AU card for my daughter? Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: I have Amex Platinum Charge can I get Green Charge?

I don't see why they wouldn't give you a green if you wanted to charge cards, amex is trying to get all there customers to be charge card customers again and get away from credit cards so much. they should love you!
Message 2 of 19
tkshk
Established Member

Yes, they are willing to give you a Green Charge Card as well since you are paying an additional AF. When I upgraded from Gold to Platinum, I thought Gold would be canceled automatically but it was not. I carried both cards for a couple of months until I noticed that.
Message 3 of 19
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I am not sure what is the right thing to do. If I get Green + AU that costs me $95+$30 = $125. If I get AU card on my Platinum that costs me $175. Should I go ahead and get the Platinum AU card or should go through the hoops to get the Green + AU?
Message 4 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

ah go ahead and give her the pretty platinum!
why did you get platinum instead of green to begin with? if it's because it's pretty! your daughter will probably think the same thing. if it's because of travel, well then it's a toss. is it worth another inq and another account to save the $50 and then have 2 bills.
Message 5 of 19
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

My Concern is what if she looses the platinum card. I am taking more risk with platinum with higher limits. You know how the 16 year old kids are. Need to observe them first and see how they do and how they take care of them self. I just gave her my 2006 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with 8K miles as 16h Birthday gift. I have to take for Drivers License test in couple of weeks. I am trying to manage between love for the kid and safety.
Message 6 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

well can't you set limits on the auth amex cards?
you can at least set a limit and sends you email when you hit it, if she is charging up a storm you can take the card when you get the email!
Message 7 of 19
Geordi
Regular Contributor

Concorduser,

Have you considered making your DD an authorized user on a non-charge card like a BoA, Citi, or Chase card?

No offense but giving a teenager a charge card means you are responsible in full for whatever charges are made during your billing period.

Again, no offense
Message 8 of 19
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I am not worried about my daughter spending too much. She is good kid. She would not do that. I am worried about she loosing the card. I have to order the debit card twice for her as she misplaced the card. My worry is what if she looses the card and some one who finds it can misuse the card.

Creditaddict wrote:
you can at least set a limit and sends you email when you hit it, if she is charging up a storm you can take the card when you get the email!

Message 9 of 19
Geordi
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Well that's why I like to have a couple of business credit cards. With Bank Atlantic Business card, I can set individual limits for the AU.

GL
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.