cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a CC from my girlfriend. Does it report on my Credit? Detail inside..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a CC from my girlfriend. Does it report on my Credit? Detail inside..

I have a Visa from my Girlfriend. Its is from Alaska Airlines ( That's what it says )  Its a Reg Visa. Unlike my Dumb A,, she has great credit. She got the card for my 9 months ago and we put a trip on it. At 10K..don't ask. Anyhow she said she transferred the total to another card and that its now due. My Question is.

1. Will it report on my credit? It seems it should because shortly after I got the card a creditor sent me a Collection letter to her address,

( Its the only thing that would have Her address on it with my name on it ). Anyhow  will it report?

2. If not how do I get it on my credit?

3. Do I pay it off all at once or give her the Money and ask her to pay it off Monthly?

How does part of credit this work? I have read a lot on how to get it off the Main users account if they don't pay but their seems not to be much on how to get it reported....THANK YOU I am still here and trying........D

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have a CC from my girlfriend. Does it report on my Credit? Detail inside..

Hi BiG,

Any chance you've pulled your reports yet?

You can pull them here and get your score along with helpful advice (google myfico discount codes).

Or you can pull them free from www.annualcreditreport.com

It's always a good feeling to see exactly what's there.  And then you know what to fix/work on/add/delete if its inaccurate.

Message 2 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: I have a CC from my girlfriend. Does it report on my Credit? Detail inside..

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Visa from my Girlfriend. Its is from Alaska Airlines ( That's what it says )  Its a Reg Visa. Unlike my Dumb A,, she has great credit. She got the card for my 9 months ago and we put a trip on it. At 10K..don't ask. Anyhow she said she transferred the total to another card and that its now due. My Question is.

1. Will it report on my credit? It seems it should because shortly after I got the card a creditor sent me a Collection letter to her address,

( Its the only thing that would have Her address on it with my name on it ). Anyhow  will it report?

2. If not how do I get it on my credit?

3. Do I pay it off all at once or give her the Money and ask her to pay it off Monthly?

How does part of credit this work? I have read a lot on how to get it off the Main users account if they don't pay but their seems not to be much on how to get it reported....THANK YOU I am still here and trying........D

OK, I'm seriously confused, lol. How does the collection letter play into this? Or are you just saying that it appears that your addresses show on both reports, or something?

Many AU accounts report on the AU's reports, many don't. As beamMEup asked, have you pulled your own credit reports since she added you to the card? Does it show on any of your reports?

So it sounds like there was a high balance on the Alaska Airlines card that you're an AU on, but she BT'd the balance to another of her cards, correct? If so, and you are an AU, and it reports, the trip shouldn't show on your reports, since she BT'd it away. Unless you're an AU on the other card as well.

If the Alaska Airlines card doesn't show on your reports, there are two possibliities: (1) this card doesn't report AU's (this does happen) or (2) this card reports AU's, but you're not showing up for some reason.

Your GF (not you) needs to call the AA card management people and ask if AU cards report.

As to what you pay to whom and how much and when, that's a relationship issue. Smiley Tongue I'm hoping that you two worked all this out before she added you to the card.

edited fretfully to try to not share my confusion with others

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry. I just talked to her she transferred the Balance to this Card I have now. Its a little over 10 grand.

I have pulled my reports and nothing shows that I could see.

A creditor sent me a Collection Bill to her house! With my name and her address. It was a little after she gave me the card and that's the ONLY thing that has My name and her address on it so I was assuming its on a report somewhere. She was really upset. She did not look at her Mail as she opened it just opening and reading. Un till she got to mine....

Ok so if does not show how do I get it to show on my credit and do I pay it off or make payments? Which is better..Again Thanks Guys...     

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Big,

We're still unclear.  Maybe you can help with some info - sorry if I missed this stuff in your posts.

Is this account in your name?

Is your name on the card?

Do you receive bills?  Can you log on to your account online?  Can you call the number on your card for clarification?

Are you an authorized user?

What's the CL?  What's the balance?

If your girlfriend transferred a balance to this card, she must be on the card as well.  Is she a joint user or an AU?  Did you authorize the transfer?

Was the collection letter you regarding this account?

If you received a collection letter for this account, why do you want that derogatory information reporting on your CR's?

If there's a large balance reporting on this account, why do you want it reporting on your CR's?

As far as your last question goes, if it's your account (and you'll want to make sure you understand exactly whose account it is - you probably need to make some phone calls and go online to check it out thoroughly), your best option is to pay it off as quickly as possible.  PIF'ing is always the best bet with CC's.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this account in your name?

Is your name on the card?>>>Yes

Do you receive bills?  Can you log on to your account online?  Can you call the number on your card for clarification? >>> No they go to her house I could if I asked her to log on

Are you an authorized user?>> I guess its my name on the card only and I use it every day...

What's the CL? >>>Not sure she has good Credit unlike my dumb a##  What's the balance?>>Over 10 grand

If your girlfriend transferred a balance to this card, she must be on the card as well.  Is she a joint user or an AU?  Did you authorize the transfer?>> I got the card from her.

Was the collection letter you regarding this account? No it was my account. But it went to her house with her address on it but my name...WTF

If you received a collection letter for this account, why do you want that derogatory information reporting on your CR's? Not this account its fine I just want to know how to get it on my credit and how I should pay it for the best results.....

If there's a large balance reporting on this account, why do you want it reporting on your CR's?>>To improve my Credit. I can make monthly payments or pay it off. Just want to know what will help my credit the most....

Message 6 of 11
UpNUp
Regular Contributor

I've been following this post for two days and I'm still confused. Maybe its best to break this post down to individual segments.

First and most importantly, is lets figure out what "TYPE" of account this is.

Is this a:

Individual account?  Are YOU the SOLE OWNER?

Is you GIRLFRIEND the SOLE OWNER?

Joint Account? Are you and your girlfriend JOINTLY responsible for this account?

Authorized User? Is your GIRLFRIEND a Individual owner and YOU are a Authorized User?

Are YOU  a Individual owner and your GIRLFRIEND  is a Authorized User?

Authorized User cards will have the Authorized User name on the card.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok last one>>>>I have a Credit Card with my name on it. Its is from her Account she has given it to me to use. How can I get this reported on my credit to Improve my Credit?

I Think you guys say have her call the CC company and get it reported on my Credit is the Only way Correct?

Is it better for me to make Monthly payments on the Balance of this card or to pay it Off?

Someone please answer this before I just send in a payemnt for the balance...

The Collection letter is a Separate Issue ( See Below )

Just a few days/weeks after she handed me the Card a Collection letter came to Her house? It was an old account of mine for $104 bucks Not from the credit card...It had My name on it and was mine but her address......So the only way I know of is from the Credit Card. That's the ONLY thing that has my name but her address on it. Again that's a separate issue. She was just  upset because she gave me a CC to use and shortly there after I got this collection thing at her house I looked Horrible to say the least..How can they just do That??

Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

It's always better to pay in full that revolce a balance and pay interest.

Message 9 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok last one>>>>I have a Credit Card with my name on it. Its is from her Account she has given it to me to use. How can I get this reported on my credit to Improve my Credit?

I Think you guys say have her call the CC company and get it reported on my Credit is the Only way Correct?

You first need to find out if it will actually help you. Many AU accounts can hurt your score.

• Does it report a balance every month before she pays it off? If so, how high are the balances, and what is the credit limit? You have to know this to figure out if the card's revolving util will hurt you.
  • Is the card older or younger than your own AAoA (average age of accounts)? If it's younger, it can hurt you.
  • Have there ever been any negatives on the card? If so, it will hurt you.
  • Does this particular card even report AU's? Not all do. You have to tell us what kind of card (Citi Forward, AmEx Green, whatever) and we might know.
If you find out all this and determine that the card will actually help you, then yes, she will have to call the credit card company and ask that they report it on your credit reports. But it still might not show on your reports due to the different last names, different addresses, and so forth.

Is it better for me to make Monthly payments on the Balance of this card or to pay it Off?

Someone please answer this before I just send in a payemnt for the balance...

It will probably be better if you pay the full amount every month before the statement posts, so that it will report a $0 balance. You definitely don't want to make payments. Don't ever carry debt in order to try to please a lender, and debt hurts scores. But again, you haven't told us what the card is. Some don't report the statement balance. Instead, they report the balance as of the last business day of the month.

The Collection letter is a Separate Issue ( See Below )

Just a few days/weeks after she handed me the Card a Collection letter came to Her house? It was an old account of mine for $104 bucks Not from the credit card...It had My name on it and was mine but her address......So the only way I know of is from the Credit Card. That's the ONLY thing that has my name but her address on it. Again that's a separate issue. She was just  upset because she gave me a CC to use and shortly there after I got this collection thing at her house I looked Horrible to say the least..How can they just do That??

When she added you to her card, presumably as an authorized user rather than joint --you REALLY need to find this out!!! --the lender added your address to hers on the account. That address then got added to her credit reports, so your old collections are now being sent to her address in hopes of finding you.

You have got to pull at least one of your own reports (Equifax, TransUnion, or Experian) and see what's on there!

And I'm sorry, but you really need to do some homework yourself here on the boards and get a basic understanding of how personal credit works. Asking questions without understanding how credit works just leads to more and more confusion. Try this: Son of Credit 101 (this is an updated verson of Credit 101.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.