Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a bit of a dilemma

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

I have a bit of a dilemma

Okay I will try to make this short. I have 3 CC. Citi diamond $1000 CL, $100 balance, opened in Jan 2014, Bofa cash rewards $500 cl $0 balance opened april 14, and dcu platinum visa (non rewards) 10k cl $0 balance also opened april 2014.

I only want 2 cards. All 3 of these cards are still new obviously but I've had many cc in the past so these are not used to rebuild my credit. I am keeping my boa because that will be used specifically for gas. I am keeping my dcu since I am a member with them and I like my 15.25% interest on it (the lowest I ever had Smiley Happy) as well as the cl and other perks.

The citi card I dont really need lol. Theres no AF (or rewards) so I was wondering should I close it or keep it open? I do like the card though but it will never get used lol. Also does anyone know who citi pulls and report too? I live in Chicago. Also who does boa pull and report too? Thanks for your time. Smiley Very Happy
Make More, Spend Less
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: I have a bit of a dilemma

You may be able to request to change the Citi card to a different one, but they usually make you wait one year before changing to a different product. Who they pull depends on the region. They pull Experian for me in Michigan, so perhaps they'll pull Experian for Chicago. They report to all three. Bank of America usually will pull Experian, but they'll pull any you ask them to. They also report to every credit bureau.

Message 2 of 12
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Everyone is different, but I would leave the Citi open for that unknown emergency.  If you close it it won't hurt AAoA and paying it off your UTIL looks to be under 5%, so no worries in either case.  If there were an AF I would probably close it.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 12
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

I forgot who says it here on Myfico.  It goes along the lines,  if it has no AF and no balance,  it isn't costing you anything.  Just keep it and SD it.

Message 4 of 12
black_citi
Established Contributor

Thanks guys. Yeah, i'll SD it.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 5 of 12
NikoD
Regular Contributor

Do you have any other open accounts? If CCs are the only open TLs you have, than I'd consider leaving it open. I only had 2 open CC reporting (open for 16 and 17 years) when I applied for a Sallie Mae recently. Even though they gave my score as 828 (TU 08, the same as what Discover says on my statement) they still gave me their worst possible APR of 22.99% because I don't have enough open accounts. I had no baddies and 1% util. The only reason for the high APR was too few open accounts.

Message 6 of 12
black_citi
Established Contributor

@NikoD wrote:

Do you have any other open accounts? If CCs are the only open TLs you have, than I'd consider leaving it open. I only had 2 open CC reporting (open for 16 and 17 years) when I applied for a Sallie Mae recently. Even though they gave my score as 828 (TU 08, the same as what Discover says on my statement) they still gave me there worst possible APR of 22.99% because I don't have enough open accounts. I had no baddies and 1% util. The only reason for the high APR was too few open accounts.

I don't have any more open CC but I do have an auto loan with Dcu. After reading what you and others posted I think it would be best if I kept it open and just SD it. 22.99% with an 828 credit score? Wow! 

Make More, Spend Less
Message 7 of 12
NikoD
Regular Contributor

I just wanted to add that I got an Amex about 5 weeks before the Sallie Mae (it hadn't reported yet to the CRAs when I apped for Sallie). While Sallie gave me a low CL, a platinum rather than a world card and the highest APR; Amex gave me their best (lowest) APR and an initial CL of more than twice what the Barclays Sallie Mae gave me. This was my first Amex and first Barclays card so that wasn't a factor. So having few TLs doesn't necessarily mean lenders will hate you.

Message 8 of 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Not to mention Citi likes to send out those rotating 5% categories lately.. and that's a great deal in my book! Smiley Wink

I've had 3 citi cards that I haven't used in a long time and they just sit there. (Last month I tried to use one of them a little bit because of the 5% category that was offered.)
Message 9 of 12
vpae
Established Contributor

I would keep the Citi open just because you have Citi right in your name!!

But on a serious note, I think I've read that it is a positive to at least have 3 active TL anyway (even if it were to remain open on your report for 10 years), it definitely doesn't hurt you since there's no AF, helps with utilization, and in the long term, further improve AAoA than if you closed it.

It'll help make your file look thicker for when you need to app for car/mortgage, etc.

Like many have said, maybe try to PC for another card with rewards. Good luck!

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.