Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have gotten myself into an interest situation

tag
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

I have gotten myself into an interest situation

So I went a little overboard with Xmass shopping. Also Post Xmass I had some car trouble. Got myself into about 6k debit.The debit sits mainly on my CSP and AMEX. with about 1k on the citi DC. I apped for the slate and got 1k and also BofA 1.5k recon to 2.5k. My current plan is to Shift all new spending to cards that are still no APR (cap1, citi DC and BofA). BT 1k to the slate from amex. and pay the amex down first then the CSP. I should be able to pay everything down to 0 is about 9 months give or take. What do you credit masters think of this plan. I am still under 30% util so scores are not to bad. 

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have gotten myself into an interest situation

I would be cautious tranfering 1k to the slate as it only has a 1k limit with the numbers in your sig. That will show as maxed out...

Message 2 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I'd watch out for those 0% intro APR offers.  If you run into another situation (car troubles, etc.), your plan may be foiled and you'll wind up paying interest on all of your spending for those 0% intro offers.  You're in a tricky situation and in one of the rare instances which I suggest shying away from credit usage unless necessary.  Make some lifestyle cuts, aggressively pay down your debt, and get to a managable situation before starting to put spend on your cards again.  

Message 3 of 75
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

If you went overboard with Christmas shopping, ask yourself the following: Is everything that I bought something that I actually NEEDED. With that being said, if you can return some items that are still eligible, do so.

As far as what cards to pay down. do them in order of interest. And do a balance transfer to the slate from the card with the highest balance. But be careful with maxing out the Slate. It is a new account. You do not want to get an AA.

Message 4 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would be cautious tranfering 1k to the slate as it only has a 1k limit with the numbers in your sig. That will show as maxed out...

@Anonymous,

I agree.  The limit on the new cards for OP to use for a balance transfer isn't good.  I think you will be worse of by doing a balnce transfer.  The Slate and BOA are going to be showing of as "maxed out".  What I'd so in your situation is continue to pay down current debt and use the new approvals to pad utilzation instead of doing a balance transfer.

Message 5 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not advise maxing out the Slate.

Could you move some CL from your CSP over?
Message 6 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add to that ( desktop mode is malfunctioning )

Right now your CSP limit is worth more to you on your Slate bc of the 0% Move as much of it over as possible while only leaving 50% or less utilization on the CSP.
Message 7 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
To add to that ( desktop mode is malfunctioning )

Right now your CSP limit is worth more to you on your Slate bc of the 0% Move as much of it over as possible while only leaving 50% or less utilization on the CSP.

@Anonymous,

The debt is mainly on his CSP and Amex.  Moving money to the Slate will make things worse as there won't be much available on the CSP and will probably show close to maxed out thus if chase should approve he request of transfering to the slate.

Message 8 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

..Well...first I would BT that CSP balance or as much of it as possible (80% or less of the recipient card)

While this is still fresh, move over a good chunk of the CSP limit to the slate and balance transfer from AMEX, and if necessary the card that was used to BT from CSP.

This is all best accomplished without BT Fees. (This its where a Capital One card becomes useful)
Message 9 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@twist7d7 wrote:

So I went a little overboard with Xmass shopping. Also Post Xmass I had some car trouble. Got myself into about 6k debit.The debit sits mainly on my CSP and AMEX. with about 1k on the citi DC. I apped for the slate and got 1k and also BofA 1.5k recon to 2.5k. My current plan is to Shift all new spending to cards that are still no APR (cap1, citi DC and BofA). BT 1k to the slate from amex. and pay the amex down first then the CSP. I should be able to pay everything down to 0 is about 9 months give or take. What do you credit masters think of this plan. I am still under 30% util so scores are not to bad. 

@twist7d7,

How much debt is on Amex and CSP respectively?

Message 10 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.