cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have my new Chase Platinum Visa Card but I misjudged the introductory APR!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my new Chase Platinum Visa Card but I misjudged the introductory APR!!!!!

Well, I received my new Chase Platinum Visa Card in the mail yesterday with the 400 dollar limit.  Being excited, I activated the card and found out the APR is a variable 19.9%!!!!  I thought it was going to be 0% as an introductory rate for regular purchases, but that only applies to balance transfers and checks.  I was not happy, suffice it to say and I asked the customer service rep to drop the rate--She did not do it and she said that I should pay my balance on time and call in a few months to get the rate dropped.  If I make a late payment ever with Chase, I will get rate jacked quicker than a jackrabbit's heartbeat.  Heck, the rate doesnt even make me want to use the card, but I am going to have to in order to get any luv from them in the future.  I bought breakfast at MickeyD's this morning on the card and I am only going to make small purchases on the card and PIF them.  What kind of serious purchases can I make with a 400 dollar limit anyway at this point in time.  I am happy that I did get in door with them and the card does not have an annual fee.

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 06-03-2008 09:30 AM

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 06-03-2008 11:56 AM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: I have my new Chase Platinum Visa Card but I missed judged the introductory APR!!!!!

Life's little fine print surprises. Smiley Tongue Oh, well, it's a PIFfer anyway, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

FWIW, if it makes you feel any better, I have the same APR. They said I could call back after three months and request a reduction. But I figure that I'd rather be given a CLI, or a conversion to a straight Chase card if Barnes and Noble buys out Borders and my card becomes orphaned.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: I have my new Chase Platinum Visa Card but I missed judged the introductory APR!!!!!

If you are in a credit building/rebuilding mode, it is always good to get a card from a major player even with the small CL.  If you are trying to get enough credit for a specfig major purchase, I would look towards a store card.

My toal credit limit now is less then a third of what it used to be prior to DMP and I can assure you 100% I like my FICO scores now way better.

Keep working at it and you will get where you need to be.  It just takes time.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hauling, what was your initial credit limit on your card??  How many CLI's have you received (hard pulls, I suspect).
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Hauling, what was your initial credit limit on your card?? How many CLI's have you received (hard pulls, I suspect).

I've only had it since late February, so there haven't been any changes. Initial (and current) CL is $3500. Two things about affinity cards (store + MC/Visa, organization + MC/Visa): they're frequently easier to get, and sometimes they have higher CL's. But you generally can't swap them to a non-affinity card, so I'm finding myself drowning in book and CD points. (It's a Borders Visa.)

I wish now that I'd gone straight for the Freedom, but I was chicken. I'm still amazed that anyone approved me for anything at all.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hauling, what was your initial credit limit on your card?? How many CLI's have you received (hard pulls, I suspect).

I've only had it since late February, so there haven't been any changes. Initial (and current) CL is $3500. Two things about affinity cards (store + MC/Visa, organization + MC/Visa): they're frequently easier to get, and sometimes they have higher CL's. But you generally can't swap them to a non-affinity card, so I'm finding myself drowning in book and CD points. (It's a Borders Visa.)

I wish now that I'd gone straight for the Freedom, but I was chicken. I'm still amazed that anyone approved me for anything at all.

So my amazon.com issued by Chase is one of those affinity cards?  I had called to get the cl on it reduced/transferred to my Chase perfect and the csr wanted to do a hard inq!  Umm...no we'll skip that part!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.