Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have such a love/hate relationship with BOA

tag
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

I have such a love/hate relationship with BOA

I love that they gave me the 99/500 card back when I was re-establishing credit. I hate the annual fee on it that they refuse to remove even though I PCed to a non-AF card.

I love that I can get a CLI online without having to call or take a hard pull. I hate their crappy website with it's terrible interface and the fact that it doesn't work about 1/4 of the time.

I hate that they didn't give me a $20 statement credit I was owed, even though the rep agreed with me that it was owed - but he couldn't fix it. Actuallly hate their customer "service" all around.

But I LOVE the CLIs they've been giving me. I asked for a CLI from $3000 to $5000 in January - granted. I asked for another CLI to $7500 yesterday - granted! This is now my highest limit card by nearly double. Whenever they  make me mad I consider closing the card, but as long as they're giving me these CLIs every 6 months, I guess I can suck up the $29 AF.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

ongrats Re: I have such a love/hate relationship with BOA

Congrats on the CLI.  I have seen conflicting information on whether the BOA/FIA website results in a hard pull.  I am tempted to try for a CLI however dont need a hard pull at this time.  I think based on what I`ve seen from others it will state if it was a hard pull or not but certainly can be in some circumstances.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: ongrats Re: I have such a love/hate relationship with BOA

BofA takes a hard when you open and a hard if you are unsecuring.... CLI have always been soft.

I had a love hate relationship with BofA until it turned into a pure hate relationship! lol

I started with fully secured during my ch 13. put 1k in to start.

used as my daily card, put 1500-2500 a month through it by making payments weekly.

unsecured at about month 10 after I requested (originally declined, then got a rep to agree to pull EQ at the time higher by almost 50 points then other 2 reports... went to "senior underwriter" and about 5 min later was granted and $500 CLI.

8 months went by, no issue, still paying in full and using up over my CL... called to ask about my reward balance and such... nothing to special, next day when to use my card and it was declined.

Called in to find out my card had been closed... called back door and got a "Senior underwriter" again who said the banks policies and credit requirements had changed and the account was reviewed after I had called in and he would not re-open it.

Now I was thinking about 16-18 months of history with them and no interest charges or lates or over CL and increasingly better credit reports that seemed silly.

Oh well I have Navy now!!! haha

Message 3 of 11
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: I have such a love/hate relationship with BOA

I don't have any issues with their website... Anything in particular that you are facing?

For the AF, I was able to get them to remove my AF permanently after unsecuring my fully secured card. This said, this was no easy. I made atleast 10 calls to CSRs requesting them to get the AF waived off and hearing that it was not possible and asking them to escalate. After prob like 2-3 weeks of persistence, I did manage to get them to waive it off.

Its a pain, but can be done.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 11
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

Re: ongrats Re: I have such a love/hate relationship with BOA

BOA "cash" rewards are nothing to talk about and the CSRs suck, but I do like the limit. If Chase would be as nice to me as BOA, I would give them all my business. I like the Amazon rewards card a lot more and every time I've had to call, their reps have been well informed and friendly.

Message 5 of 11
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

I don't have any issues with their website... Anything in particular that you are facing?

Sometimes when I login I can only see the overview of my account, not the transaction details page. Sometimes the site is just down. They have twice deleted the external checking account I use to pay the card. The fact that when I had a checking and Visa with them, they weren't auto-linked, so I had to manually enter the card as a "pay to" account made me nuts. Even the crappiest credit union website I've used has had "transfer to another inside account" as an option with a single click.

It's like they've found the most convoluted, least user-friendly way to do everything. Tiny fonts, links that don't take you where the should, multiple tabs when everything could be on 1 page - you can tell they put zero thought into usability and just clunked in some stuff they wanted with no regard to how easy it would be for a customer to navigate.

I do like that I can view pending CC transactions. And of course, make CLI requests without sitting on hold for 40 minutes to get a rep.

Message 6 of 11
vish1
Valued Contributor

I agree with you for the problems. Probably coz they are also my primary checking and my checking and card they were auto linked so dint realize this was a concern.

You should never call their Customer Service number, call the credit analysts directly (you can find the number in the backdoor numbers sticky).

Good luck on getting your AF waived off. Don't bother to call customer service for it, that will never work, call backdoor number only and don't give up easily.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 7 of 11
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

I used the backdoor number when I PCed, but they wouldn't budge. Claimed it was because of the Credit Card Act and the original card's terms somehow carried over. It was all BS, but I don't have it in me to call repeatedly. My blood pressure can't take it! Besides, I have gotten enough in statement credits this year to more than cover the $29 AF. It still annoys me, but I'll pay it until it's not worth it any more.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love the card. I know it's the 99/500 but what is it branded as? Mine is the "BankAmericard Platinum Plus Visa"  I made a deposit of $1200. How soon did you get a CLI?  

Message 9 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I  can understand the frustration I have had similiar problems with them no other bank.. I have banked with them twice and had a credit card as well. All  of those accounts are closed. I will never bank with them again. If it was between the mattress pad and Bof A the matress pad would win in a landslide. Not a fan of Chase either.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.