cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have the Sapphire and do not understand points.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Sapphire and do not understand points.

I was approved for Chase Sapphire ($9,000 CLI) last month and have spent the $4,000 necessary to qualify for the 40,000 free miles.  I tried booking a hypothetical flight to Cancun using the Chase Rewards System.  Flight is listed for $450 whereas the same flight on cheaptickets.com is only $350.

I am new to the rewards game. Is there a card that one can use at any site?  

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: I have the Sapphire and do not understand points.

Booking through chase is usually more expensive so its not worth it even with the "extra points" you get.

Id caution you to thoroughly research next time. The card really only shines if you transfer your points to airline and sometimes hotel partners. For other redemptions, a cash back card generally will come out ahead or the same.
Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a card that earns points that I can use on ANY website?  Expedia?  Southwest Airlines, etc? Any opinion on the Capital One Venture? 

Message 3 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there a card that earns points that I can use on ANY website?  Expedia?  Southwest Airlines, etc? Any opinion on the Capital One Venture? 

KDMs comment about a cashback card.  Something like Citi Double Cash earsn 2% on all transactions, and you can have the cash redeemed to your bank account.   Then use on any site.

Stuff like Venture and Barclays Arrival also earn 2 points per $, but HAVE to be redeemed for travel (whereas Double Cash can be used anyway).  Worth having the first year for the bonus and lack of annual fee that year, but much less useful for many after that

Message 4 of 34
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Id get a double cash over a venture for the reasons lurker mentioned. Beyond the bonus, venture has little purpose.

If you arent a hardcore traveler and into the point transfers, you will do better with cash back. Some cash back cards like discover also have portals where 5 or 10 percent back on orbitz, travelocity etc is offered, though theres no guarantee that will always be offered
Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you longtimelurker!  The Citi card does seem attractive but I don't want to open a new account. Is there a downside to the card? 

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you dont want to open a new account why are you asking about any card that can be used on all websites? 😏 Or are you asking if theres a card you already have that serves this purpose?
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Two reasons.....I am asking because I am helping my girlfriend decide on which card to apply for.  Right now, I have the Discover It, BofA Cash Rewards, Chase Slate, Chase Sapphire, and Amex Blue Cash. That is why I'm hesitant to open a new account. I travel on vacation frequently. Of these cards, which is the best one?  Again, I should have done a better job of researching the details of each card.  I'm trying to do that now : )

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh I see Smiley Happy Totally understand now. Does your Discover it have the double cash promo? If so thats best for you, if not Id still check Discover Deals like kdm suggested. Travel category.

As far as your gf its hard to suggest cards without knowing her profile details but it sounds like a cash back card would be best from what you've stated so far. Unless she's loyal to a particular hotel or airline.
Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like Lucky strikes again. xfers are the lifeblood of these cards.
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.