Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hope it isn't a stupid question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope it isn't a stupid question

I just applied and got approved for a Cap One cc, checked my score and it didn't change at all, at least TU didn't. But now I have 8 inquiries Smiley Surprised
I already have a MasterCard card so I now have 2. I would really like a Visa card.
Is it true that if I apply within a week it won't count as an inquiry and change my score?

If so should I apply for a Visa card now before my week is over?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: I hope it isn't a stupid question

That does not always seem to be the case. If you are going to apply again with the same CC company I would suggest you call them and ask if they can use the same report they have already pulled to approve you for another card.

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 9
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

That is not true. You may be confusing it with how the fico score groups inquiries for auto or mortgage loans as one inquiry if they are done within a short period of time to account for people shopping around for the most favorable terms for a loan. This is not true with credit card inquiries. People often apply for 2 or more cards at the same exact time however  because it takes a little while for an inquiry to "hit" the credit bureaus so when apping for more than one card, it is best to do so at as close to the exact same time as possible. Some even open multiple tabs on browsers and send at the same instant. If it is still within a day or 2 you might be able to app for a second card before the first inquiry hits your report. The effect of a single additional inqury on most people's credit report is relatively small. 

Edit:  I may have misunderstood your question. Do you mean to change or add cards within capital one? In that case they may not pull a second.

Message 3 of 9
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

Or see if you can PC to another card that is Visa? Definitely agree they should use the CR that they already pulled.

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 4 of 9
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Also, I have never found a merchant who takes Visa but not MasterCard, so my suggestion would be to sit tight with those 8 inquiries and garden what you have for the time being.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called Cap One, since i already saw the inquiry hit my report I'm going to garden for a while.
They told me they can't use the same info to apply for a different card and advised me to wait 30 days to apply for a second card.
I wanted a Visa (rewards) preferably because my family and I travel to a different country every year at least twice, and in tickets alone we spend around 3k, having a rewards visa would be a dream come true.
Message 6 of 9
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

I rant about CapOne all the time. Their customer service will be their downfall

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 7 of 9
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I'm still not seeing the difference between that and a rewards MasterCard...

The rewards are provided by the banks that issue the cards. Visa is just a payment network through which the transactions are processed. So, if you take the Chase Freedom for example, you can have Chase issue either a Visa or MasterCard, and the rewards are identical.

I understand that you want a card with better rewards, but at this point, with your level of inquiries and your score you need to Garden your new accounts before some better rewards cards are going to be in your range.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.