Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just Can't Figure AMEX Out!!!!

tag
L-TWT
Established Contributor

I just Can't Figure AMEX Out!!!!

I have been a member with AMEX since 2006, and all in all, my experience has been excellent. If I can remember correctly when I first opened my acct my starting CL was ~2K and has grown to 30K w/o any automatic increases, all self initiated SP's VIA the online automative system. So to answer ever1's queation, the automative system will allow approves over 25K, but will try trigger AMEX to FR your acct. With that said my acct was FR'd, I submitted the paper work and 30K CL OK'd. Around 2009/2010 CL dropped to 6.7K w/o warning, that was ok with me, b/c that was around the time the economy was in the tank. So in the mid of 2010 I called to have my CL dropped to 5K b/c  I only used the card for groceries & gas. So in late 2012, I added my brother as an AU on my acct b/c he was on a fixed income due to suffering a stroke. Now, from January 2013 to March 31, 2013, I kid you not, I have received a total of 7 automatic CL increases, which brought my CL to 35K. This has really baffled me for my income is the same, Credit score the same & my brother does not help pay towards my monthly payment. So what do u guys think?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Blurbz
Contributor

Re: I just Can't Figure AMEX Out!!!!

They are definitely a confusing company, sometimes.  My guess is that you are a valued customer with a low risk score, probably in large part due to the fact that you already went through, and passed, a Financial Review.  They know, in their system, what your credit limits were before the financial collapse and now that credit is becoming more readily available, they don't want to lose you to another company so they're being proactive in getting your limits back up to pre-2009 amounts.  Whatever you're doing, they obviously like it!

Message 2 of 26
SpecFile
Valued Contributor

^^^^^^exactly^^^^^^
Message 3 of 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Blurbz wrote:

They are definitely a confusing company, sometimes.  My guess is that you are a valued customer with a low risk score, probably in large part due to the fact that you already went through, and passed, a Financial Review.  They know, in their system, what your credit limits were before the financial collapse and now that credit is becoming more readily available, they don't want to lose you to another company so they're being proactive in getting your limits back up to pre-2009 amounts.  Whatever you're doing, they obviously like it!

This sums it up.

They trust you, and for a company like AMEX to back you like that you should be happy!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 26
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Blurbz wrote:

This sums it up.

They trust you, and for a company like AMEX to back you like that you should be happy!! Smiley Happy

+1

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 5 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah... You're doing s'thin' right!!! Good job :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

AMEX is a tuff nut to crack but you must have a hammer Lol

Keep cracking that shellSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

If I can just get to $24,500 on my BCE, I'll be so so so so HAPPY!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Good job. My guess is that they are trying to retain you and keep u happy.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.