Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just converted Amex Blue Sky to Amex Blue Cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just converted Amex Blue Sky to Amex Blue Cash

After thinking, I realized my Citi Premiere Pass is way better for airline miles. I decided to switch my brand new Amex Blue Sky to Amex Blue Cash. I know I will not spend $6500 or more a year to take advantage of 5% cash back, but for all gas and car related expenses I think getting 1% cash back is better than nothing. I figure I will get free tank of gas a year with my current spending habits.

What do you guys think? Was that a good choice on my part?

Conversion took about 10 minutes, same APR and CL except no intro APR for 6 months. Which is fine, I always PIF anyway.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I just converted Amex Blue Sky to Amex Blue Cash

tomwest wrote:
After thinking, I realized my Citi Premiere Pass is way better for airline miles. I decided to switch my brand new Amex Blue Sky to Amex Blue Cash. I know I will not spend $6500 or more a year to take advantage of 5% cash back, but for all gas and car related expenses I think getting 1% cash back is better than nothing. I figure I will get free tank of gas a year with my current spending habits.

What do you guys think? Was that a good choice on my part?

Conversion took about 10 minutes, same APR and CL except no intro APR for 6 months. Which is fine, I always PIF anyway.

It is, of course, up to you, but it's not a choice I would have made.  Blue Sky gives you a $100 statement credit on travel-related purchases in exchange for 7500 points, which comes to 1.33%.  You gave up a card that gives you 1.33% on all purchases in exchange for a card that will give you 1% on EDS and 0.5% on everything else at your spending levels.

Even if you decided to use the PremierPass for your flights, you still could have used your Blue Sky rewards for hotels and rental cars.

Of course, if the only travel-related purchases you ever make are airline tickets, then even a little cash back from Blue Cash is better than travel-related rewards you can't use.  If you fly, though, don't you also stay in a hotel?

Also, you only get the Blue Sky 1% cash back on gas station purchases, not all car-related purchases.

Message Edited by cheddar on 08-10-2008 08:55 AM
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking about doing the opposite with the Blue Cash card I received this weekend.
Message 3 of 9
jaybird201
Established Contributor

What about a product change to AmEx TE?
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaybird201 wrote:
What about a product change to AmEx TE?

That card is not eligible for PC because of the involvement of Costco in the underwriting process.  At OP's spending level, the AF would eat up a large part of the rewards anyway.

Message Edited by cheddar on 08-10-2008 09:32 AM
Message 5 of 9
jaybird201
Established Contributor

"Product change to AmEx TE" is my answer to everything. Bad day at work? AmEx TE. Relationship problems? AmEx TE. Minor cuts and burns? Just rub a little AmEx TE on it and it'll make it all better. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by jaybird201 on 08-10-2008 03:57 PM
Message 6 of 9
jaybird201
Established Contributor

There are plenty of other rewards cards out there that are better day-to-day than the AmEx Blue Cash especially if you're not running that much cash through it. Maybe just throw it in the sock drawer and take it out only to keep it active?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Cheddar,

This is what I think: With Blue Sky, I can use $100 only on certain expenses and I have to spend $7500 to get that. WIth Blue Cash, even though it's 1% or 0.5%, If I spend $2000-$3000, I will still get something back, in my case $20 or more a year. Currently I use my BMW Visa for gas and car related expenses and it has a similar point system as Blue Cash, but I will not be able to redeem those points for about 5 years when I accumulate enough points to use on my nex BMW purchase. Why wait 5 years ( based on my spending habits) to get something back and I am not even sure I will get another BMW next.

In terms of Citi Premiere Pass, I get miles for every dollar I spend, plus I get miles for Miles I fly, 3 miles=1 Point, plus I connected my card to my frequent flyer program and I get full miles from every mile I fly on top of that, so in the end that is a lot of miles for me.

About hotel stays, I can still use my Citi PP for that, and I don't think using Blue Sky would have made any difference, considering I can only use those points towards expenses made with Amex on certain areas.

Bottom line for me, Blue Cash will replace my BMW Visa, similar benefits, but I get to use cash back every year instead of 5 years wait. Citi PP will get points from every other purchase and flight miles, which I can also use for hotel stays, too. Also, I will use Blue Cash for car rentals along with otheir optional premium insurance coverage, $24.95 per rental. Not bad I think.

Again, thanks for pointing out what i missed Cheddar. I always value your coments.

Message Edited by tomwest on 08-10-2008 09:36 AM

Message Edited by tomwest on 08-10-2008 09:37 AM

Message Edited by tomwest on 08-10-2008 09:38 AM
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

In that case it sounds like you made the decision that's right for you, tomwest, which is all that really matters anyway.  I'm glad you had a well thought out reply, because it means you thought about it before you made the decision.

If you're happy with the choice, then we should be too. Smiley Happy

Thank you for your comment.  It is appreciated.

Message Edited by cheddar on 08-10-2008 09:39 AM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.