Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just don't get the allure of Amex Charge Cards

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

I just don't get the allure of Amex Charge Cards

I just got one a little over a week ago....the Plum....and I haven't even used it yet and I have already fallen out of love with Amex charge cards. Maybe I'm just too used to credit cards and the confidence in knowing what is in front of you at all times. But reading complaints, bad reviews about evolving limits and comments from ticked off customers (often good payers with long histories) about these issues has already turned me off to it all. The dissatifying conversation I had with Amex's apathetic executive office over how the Plum REALLY works in terms of the early-pay discounts has simply made it worse. 

With today's options under Visa/MC, what's the point? You most often find equal rewards and values if not better (except maybe business class airfare being paid with Member points) and you get it with no annual fee or a much smaller one. And you know what you can spend at all times through your credit limit so there are no suprises or embarrassments that blindside you at the counter. Not to mention that your FICO will usually score better with credit cards under most circumstances.

Who wants to worry about your "No Preset Spending Limit" evolving for some foggy reason and then getting the rug pulled out from under you when you least expect it? Who wants to have to check if Amex will authorize a larger purchase or even a smaller one depending on circumstances when a credit limit and knowledge of your balance is so much safer? 

It all just seems like a big hassle with too many inconveniences leaving one wary about being approved when they swipe the card or worried that less spending over a few months could get your spending ability reduced. With good rewards and defined limits that don't fluctuate or surprise you, there just seem to be too many good credit cards out there that make life much easier....far too easy to be outweighed by some worthless "prestige factor" or nice-but-not-totally-necessary customer service perks. And there's the fact that it's not as readily accepted.... 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I just don't get the allure of Amex Charge Cards

UTI, Rewards (MR), Backdating. All seem to be the reasons. Protections and benefits are another. You have the 'weird' charge card that is more of a trade term than a charge card. I like mine because of the points and the balance not being factored in.

Message 2 of 46
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

There is no single card that meets everyone's needs.   Not from AMEX, or Chase or anywhere.....

People who do use AMEX charge cards generally like the fact that it keeps them honest with their spending, since you have to PIF.   Also the fact that Charge Card balances aren't included in FICO scoring helps those who run alot through their cards each month.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 46
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Who wants to worry about your "No Preset Spending Limit" evolving for some foggy reason and then getting the rug pulled out from under you when you least expect it? Who wants to have to check if Amex will authorize a larger purchase or even a smaller one depending on circumstances when a credit limit and knowledge of your balance is so much safer? 

That is why I do not like charge cards. That and they cost an annual fee. If I only charge $30 on a charge card for six months and then try to put $5000 it will probably be declined because it is way out of my spending habits. If I do the same on a card with a $10000 limit it will go through no problem and I always know that I can charge at least $10000. I always pay before the statement closes so utilization is not important to me but I can understand that for people who charge a lot and do no pay it off right way, that would really help with their score.

I do have other cards with better rewards for other things but the 3% for groceries can not be beat. Sallie Mae is 5% but I think it is capped at $500 a month, I am not sure. I have no problem with it being accepted where I want to use it.

I can never see myself with a charge card. Before looking at this site I never knew American Express was thought of so highly, I always thought they were garbage.

Message 4 of 46
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

"If I only charge $30 on a charge card for six months and then try to put $5000 it will probably be declined because it is way out of my spending habits. If I do the same on a card with a $10000 limit it will go through no problem and I always know that I can charge at least $10000."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. I don't like that Amex tries to judge you. If I charge lightly over a period of time, there isn't necessarily anything to read into and it's kinda creepy that they would do that. If I suddenly decide to make a large purchase a few months later, that's MY business and my choice based on my needs. Just give my limit and leave the rest to me.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 5 of 46
Crashem
Valued Contributor

The opposite is true too.  I recently got my AMEX back.  Initially it wouldn't let me charge over $2500.  Two months later, 60k charge is no problem.  No way any credit card could do that.

Also, the protections for AMEX are unmatched for the most part.  Extended warranties etc.  For me, the benefits of Plat Card are really nice.  AMEX has credit cards too if that is what you like.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 46
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Oh look this thread again

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 46
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Now that I'm retired charge cards work the best for me though I really don't like the NPSL. As a retired person I look at carrying a balance as, well, not a real option. It was when I was working mid career but not now.  Thus, there is no practical difference between a charge card and credit card for my situation.

So why Amex?

1. Airport lounges

2. Costco

3. No ForEx fees

4. Possible use to charge infrequent but expensive flings costing >50k

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 8 of 46
namvet
Established Contributor

Amex is old school and your history with them will make you or break you.  The "allure" is their history of taking care of customers that take care of them.  Amex loves new to credit but they will watch you like a hawk.  You can establish your own credit limit with time. Proud to be a member since 1971.

Message 9 of 46
FrugalRican
Blogger

It's just another company that extends credit.

It's kinda like white chocolate and me. A lot of people don't understand why I'm so fascinated by it, but I can't understand why so many people aren't.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.