Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just don't get the allure of Amex Charge Cards

tag
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: I just don't get the allure of Amex Charge Cards

I hope AMEX's marketing gurus make a lot of money.  They certainly deserve it!  Smiley Very Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 41 of 46
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@android01 wrote:

I hope AMEX's marketing gurus make a lot of money.  They certainly deserve it!  Smiley Very Happy

Seinfeld is still collecting a check somewhere.....................Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 42 of 46
Open123
Super Contributor

The efficacy of a charge card is that it's inherently more dynamic than credit card which is by comparison a static credit line.

For instance, if you're running a up and coming business or just a person with a high income but low credit score and limited history, the time required to build a static credit line in the $10,000 range would take years, not to mention being limited by the small increases along the way.  With a charge card, since it's dynamic and grows with your spending habits, you could be charging $10k per month within 3 - 6 months, which is much more expedient and practical than waiting, and losing out on rewards until your AAOA, history, and credit score merits a $10,000 CL.

For growing businesses, the charge card is ideal.  Most buisnesses are used to net 30 terms, and the idea of paying suppliers in 30 days is the custom.  Usually, if a business needed to float money, they'd seek an open LOC, and not a credit card in which to float it.

Obviously, for one who charges $5,000 per year, it certainly doesn't make sense to have a charge card with a fee, or any card with a fee.  This level of spending is ideally suited to a no fee cash rewards card.  

Message 43 of 46
teenastie
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

The efficacy of a charge card is that it's inherently more dynamic than credit card which is by comparison a static credit line.

For instance, if you're running a up and coming business or just a person with a high income but low credit score and limited history, the time required to build a static credit line in the $10,000 range would take years, not to mention being limited by the small increases along the way.  With a charge card, since it's dynamic and grows with your spending habits, you could be charging $10k per month within 3 - 6 months, which is much more expedient and practical than waiting, and losing out on rewards until your AAOA, history, and credit score merits a $10,000 CL.

For growing businesses, the charge card is ideal.  Most buisnesses are used to net 30 terms, and the idea of paying suppliers in 30 days is the custom.  Usually, if a business needed to float money, they'd seek an open LOC, and not a credit card in which to float it.

Obviously, for one who charges $5,000 per year, it certainly doesn't make sense to have a charge card with a fee, or any card with a fee.  This level of spending is ideally suited to a no fee cash rewards card.  

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Open... Your gonna confuse all the people who don't like Amex Smiley Wink I-KID!!! I-KID!!!

But +1 to the tenth degree!

When I obtained my first charge card. My total CL's totaled 2,600. My income allows me to spend about 4.5k a month on my cards. It took 2 months to get to my comfortable spending pattern and the fact that I have a charge helps with this. Not to mention that future creditors have given more aggressive CL's by viewing the fact that I can PIF over 4k a month. My most recent revolver more than doubled my previous total CL's combined!!! Thanks for the bump Amex Smiley Very Happy

Message 44 of 46
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Thanks for all the replies to my original comment. But I must say that some that some of the answers that give the impression of "sour grapes" being partly at the root of the criticism are kind of missing the point. 

One can have opions I gave in the original post and still be someone who

1. can and does PIF every month. 

2. Hasn't had a any history of fredit problems with Amex...or anyone else. (In my case, I haven't even use the card yet)

3. Has the income to to render decrease in spending ability unjustified. (I haven't had any decrease since I'm new. But I wonder if it could happen suddenly for no good reason)

My criticisms came from dissatisfying Q&As with AMEX upon activation last week along with having some of the potential problems I could see happening being manifested in critical reviews and personal stories where long time, loyal and dutiful customers suffered embarrassment and inconvenience with declines that seemed totally unjustified and unforeseen. I mean, just imagine for a moment that you PIF every month and then suddenly find out the hard way that your spending ability has decreased for some bizarre reason you honestly cannot understand or agree with. Imagine that a stretch of light charging provokes a drop in your ability to make purchases down the road when you need it. Imagine not needing to call to see if your purchases will be honored because you know your limit already and can count on it at all times.

Sure, to each his own but I'm simply pointing out things that kind of irked me from the get go that I saw manifested by other experiences I read about. I read about Amex being flooded with angry calls from long time customers who were declined suddenly when they have never been deliquent or done anything that Amex could use to decrease them....at least by common sense reasoning.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 45 of 46
clocktick
Valued Contributor

You can look up horror stories from Chase, Citi, BOA and others all over the internet.  Same stories, different companies.  My Chase Freedom got denied about a month ago in a store.  I wasn't embarrassed and don't really see why people get embarrassed - that's on the person.  It was definitely an inconvenience, but not embarrassing.  I'm not sure what the CSR told you but I had an issue with an Amex CSR once too...and a bigger issue with a Citi CSR...and constant issues with Cap One CSRs but then again, I rarely call customer service. 

My parents have had a Gold card ever since I can remember.  They charge large amounts but split their charging between 3 cards.  They never "worry" (again, that's on the individual) if a charge won't go through.  If this happens, you call CS, see what the issue was and move on.  Charge cards aren't for everyone but people love them and I believe, some people still look at Amex as prestigious. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.