Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just got my second card: approved for Walmart Discover for $2200

tag
Thorin
Valued Member

I just got my second card: approved for Walmart Discover for $2200

I just got my first credit card about 6 months ago with Capital One and this month it was bumped from a $500 CL to $750.  I paid it off in full and had no credit history otherwise.

Tonight I had to go into Wal-mart to pick up some stuff after everything else was closed and decided to try for the non-Discover Walmart card again (I was denied about 8 months ago for no credit history).  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I figured if I was denied I could always use it as an excuse to look up my credit reports early and see what was going on.

I ended up not being able to do it in my store because the social was entered wrong and I had to call up.  When I called up, I went through 2 holds of about 4 minutes each and answering a couple of those generic questions (Did you have a mortgage at such and such a time) I had to wait again for a decision.  By the time, I was expecting the worst.  The woman came back on the phone and told me I was approved for $2,200 Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

I was really astonished, I've seen other threads where people with a much better credit score than I have were approved for only a $600 CL.  I'm not complaining, just very surprised Man LOL

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: I just got my second card: approved for Walmart Discover for $2200

Nice! Congratulations!!

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 2 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Wow! Congrats! That's amazing for your second CC! Smiley Surprised They've been giving some nice CLIs this week, but still that's an incredible CL! My TU is 779 and they just increased me from a measly $300 to $1k, which I thought was great. 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 19
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

That's awesome! It's about time for me to get a second card and I was considering Walmart. We'll see. Be another 2 months before I app again.
Message 4 of 19
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Thorin wrote:

I just got my first credit card about 6 months ago with Capital One and this month it was bumped from a $500 CL to $750.  I paid it off in full and had no credit history otherwise.

Tonight I had to go into Wal-mart to pick up some stuff after everything else was closed and decided to try for the non-Discover Walmart card again (I was denied about 8 months ago for no credit history).  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I figured if I was denied I could always use it as an excuse to look up my credit reports early and see what was going on.

I ended up not being able to do it in my store because the social was entered wrong and I had to call up.  When I called up, I went through 2 holds of about 4 minutes each and answering a couple of those generic questions (Did you have a mortgage at such and such a time) I had to wait again for a decision.  By the time, I was expecting the worst.  The woman came back on the phone and told me I was approved for $2,200 Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

I was really astonished, I've seen other threads where people with a much better credit score than I have were approved for only a $600 CL.  I'm not complaining, just very surprised Man LOL

That is why i like GE Capital! Im very happy for you!
Message 5 of 19
score_building
Senior Contributor

Yep, you done good! Congrats!

Impressive starting limit on a Walmart card.

On a side note, no more online luv button, GECRB now requires telephonic requests for customer initiated CLI on their cc products.

Apparently some card holders overused the CLI link and they finally pulled the plug on it to reduce costs from the steady stream of denial letters being generated by luv button overuse; presumably with the idea that more clunky telephonic requirement may stem the flow of frivolous requests somewhat.

Requests placed more than once every four months are pointless based on the eligibility requirement for CLI they've had in place, in any case.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 19
Thorin
Valued Member

@score_building wrote:

Yep, you done good! Congrats!

Impressive starting limit on a Walmart card.

On a side note, no more online luv button, GECRB now requires telephonic requests for customer initiated CLI on their cc products.

Apparently some card holders overused the CLI link and they finally pulled the plug on it to reduce costs from the steady stream of denial letters being generated by luv button overuse; presumably with the idea that more clunky telephonic requirement may stem the flow of frivolous requests somewhat.

Requests placed more than once every four months are pointless based on the eligibility requirement for CLI they've had in place, in any case.

That's how it always is, eh?  People ruining it for the rest of us.

Do they do a soft pull or a hard pull on those CLIs?

Message 7 of 19
credithappy
Regular Contributor

Congratulation to you on your WMD card. 👍
Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 8 of 19
UpNComing
Established Contributor

Wow Congrats!

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 9 of 19
Sophiamarie
New Contributor

You applied for the store card and got the Discover card?

EXP 725 (Amex) EQ 678 TU 735
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.