cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just learned something the HARD WAY..........................

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just learned something the HARD WAY..........................

Ive had my Best Buy Reward Zone Platinum m/c for 1yr 6 months.I haven't used it since Mar 16 (my sons b-day).I logged onto my acct today just to check on the acct and BAM CLOSED. I immediately called hsbc and I was told ol it appears your account closed YESTERDAY for non usage....I Iimmediately tried to have it reopened and was told sorry you have to reapply.......

Now before everyone says use it or loose it,or I told you so,Remember some of us just has to learn the hard way....

BTW the cl was $2500.00 and I never received a cli the entire time I had the card..

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I just learned something the HARD WAY..........................

Yeah I mostly use AMEX atm for points and only use my MC if they don't take AMEX. Some months I use AMEX entirely and so I have a couple of auto payment things tied to my MC so it's always active (even if it's only a couple hundred a month). Not sure USAA would ever close my MC for inactivity but I sort of set it up out of habit. 
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know the more I think about this im not going to roll over like a sucker and re-apply.Im going to make a few phone calls and plead my case and see if someone can re-open.I really dislike dealing with hsbc on any level but I want and need Best Buy..
Message 3 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

cartercorp wrote:
You know the more I think about this im not going to roll over like a sucker and re-apply.Im going to make a few phone calls and plead my case and see if someone can re-open.I really dislike dealing with hsbc on any level but I want and need Best Buy..

Might as well give it a try.

If you have no luck, and you "want and need Best Buy", have your scores and reports gotten to the point where you'd have a chance at the store card? You generally get a higher CL, plus they offer the 0% on big purchases. If you can't get you RZMC back, you might want to make the store card your next target instead.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 15
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry this happened to you.  HSBC has been doing this for well over a year....if you're inactive for 90 days, they close your card.  The first reports of this policy change taking effect were around July, 2008.   No one I'm aware of has been able to get it reopened afterward.  Doesn't hurt to try, but doubtful it will work.

Message 5 of 15
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

A sign of the times.  In the future credit will be extended on a more selective basis and if not used within a period of time set by the grantor they will cancel the credit line and use it for someone else.  It really makes sense.  Why should they tie up credit for someone that probably won't use it?
Message 6 of 15
marty56
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
If you have no luck, and you "want and need Best Buy", have your scores and reports gotten to the point where you'd have a chance at the store card? You generally get a higher CL, plus they offer the 0% on big purchases. If you can't get you RZMC back, you might want to make the store card your next target instead.

I dont know what Best Buys does but Circut City would allow people to apply for a store card and either offer them their MC or store card based on their credit with one application.

IMHO the store card is the way to go for the 0% and is less prone to AA. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 15
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear. :-(
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Haulin,

My scores are all above 700(thanks to all of you)  I know that EQ is 728 and im sure I will be approved for either one but im happy with rzmc and the $2500 cl is more than enough for now.When I was approved for the rzmc they pulled EQ and approved with a 713 score.Also I would just hate to start over and loose 1yr + history on that card..I have a corporate # for hsbc that I used in the past and was successful in having some 30 day lates removed. Im going to give that a shot on Monday..

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the Circuit City card as well but PC to the Freedom Plus..
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.