Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep hearing, penfed, usaa?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep hearing, penfed, usaa?

What makes these banks so attractive to a lot of you?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

Re: I keep hearing, penfed, usaa?a

One of the big reasons is customer service.

I've been a full member of USAA since 2000 and can honestly say they've always provided me with top notch customer service for both insurance and banking matters.

The credit card rewards might not be the highest going, but I'll take average rewards and outstanding customer service over another 1/4 point and lesser customer service.

Edited to comply with Vish1's warning. 

Sorry everyone.

USAA World MasterCard - $14,500
American Express SPG - $20,000
NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig - $20,000
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa - $5,000
Message 2 of 7
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: I keep hearing, penfed, usaa?a

Please be careful with comments against nationalities.

Read this thread first.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/PLEASE-READ-Posting-About-Foreign-Call-Center-Frustrati...

@Icewave76 wrote:

One of the big reasons is customer service.

I've been a full member of USAA since 2000 and can honestly say they've always provided me with top notch customer service for both insurance and banking matters.

The credit card rewards might not be the highest going, but I'll take average rewards and outstanding customer service over another ... "removed unfair content from quote"

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 7
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Re: I keep hearing, penfed, usaa?

Penfed is good for a single reason and that is their credit cards are the best  of any Credit Union.  Everything else about them is meh (haven't been to a b&m branch so I can't speak to those).

USAA is cool because of the wide variety of services that they offer and the customer service is first tier.  I have my many services through them (including insurance and brokerage), but that is only available to full members.  That said, none of the services that they offer can be considered the best in the business, but if you want lots of services in one spot they are a great place to start.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about cl? I heard they arereally good with the amount they give you
Message 5 of 7
Eurosooner7
New Contributor

USAA customer service is the best I've ever had! Im a member of PenFed but I dont actively use any of their services.

FICO Score challenge 2011

1. GOAL 750

2. CURRENT 687 695 679

3 PLANS Decrease UTIL %..Im currently at 75% EEEEKKK!!!
Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They are both very financially conservative, in that they are not impressed by people who are trying to wheel and deal with credit, but if you stay on top of your bills and use their products responsibly, you do get rewarded.

USAA in particular is wonderful to those with long histories with them. I encourage anyone who is currently eligible to join, even if you think you are a decade away from getting a credit product. Get a renter's insurance policy for $10 or something, just to get your foot in the door with them.

-- although as a recent thread pointed out, they tilt very heavily toward traditional lifestyles, and away from others. Smiley Sad

eta: sheesh, now I can't even do smileys right

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.