cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know I shouldn't, but I really want to!!

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

I know I shouldn't, but I really want to!!

I received an email invitation from AMEX to apply for the Gold Delta SkyMiles credit card. I know for a fact that if I applied, they will pull my EXP report. Although I heard that this card is a good method for getting into the AMEX family and the underwriting for this card is not as strict as other AMEX products, I'm still not sure if I should pull the trigger. I have been denied for the Costo TU 2x's and AMEX scares me. And to temp me further, I can earn 35,000 bonus miles after spending $750 in the first 3 months.

I hate having itchy app fingers....ughhhh!!!! Smiley Indifferent

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: I know I shouldn't, but I really want to!!

That's a good sign up bonus!
The site just has 30k points for $500 spend
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 12
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

I received an email invitation from AMEX to apply for the Gold Delta SkyMiles credit card. I know for a fact that if I applied, they will pull my EXP report. Although I heard that this card is a good method for getting into the AMEX family and the underwriting for this card is not as strict as other AMEX products, I'm still not sure if I should pull the trigger. I have been denied for the Costo TU 2x's and AMEX scares me. And to temp me further, I can earn 35,000 bonus miles after spending $750 in the first 3 months.

I hate having itchy app fingers....ughhhh!!!! Smiley Indifferent

What's your credit profile look like? Particular experian, since that's what they're gonna pull!

Also, on a side note: have you received any soft pulls from AMEX before for credit offers? Did they exclusively pull EXP for both soft AND hard pulls? It has nothing to do with an answer for your question, but for my own research!

Message 3 of 12
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Yes, that is a good sign up bonus! That what makes it hard to resist.

No, I was not SP'd by AMEX. For some strange reason, I'm on their mailing list..lol.

As for my profile, 12 inquires, last one was on 10/10/12. My EXP Fico is 626....mostly due to high utl on a couple other cards. 7 baddies. 5 out of 7 will fall of the first half of 2014 Smiley Happy. I do have prime cards with major banks and a few retail cards. No late or missed payments in over 6 years.

Message 4 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 12
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

A little over 50%.

Message 6 of 12
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Can you pay down that Util?  Amex does not like to see folks carrying a balance and asking for one of their Charge cards which need to be paid off each month.

The card you are asking for is a Charge card right?  Not a revolver?   My brain is fogged in this morning.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 7 of 12
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Your score may be a little too low, and that utility plus inquiries are holding you back...try getting that utilization down first before you app, see how your score responds, and you'll be in a better position!

Good luck, and thanks for the info!
Message 8 of 12
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

Nope. it's a revolver.....Delta Gold SkyMiles.

Message 9 of 12
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:
Your score may be a little too low, and that utility plus inquiries are holding you back...try getting that utilization down first before you app, see how your score responds, and you'll be in a better position!

Good luck, and thanks for the info!

Okay, in that case I would do the above. I think you are on the edge of making it but that Util will prolly hold you back.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.