Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like having a gas card

tag
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

Re: I like having a gas card

I love my gas cards.  I have: personal:  Shell, Exxon/Mobile / business: conoco corp/ bp corp mastercard / corp chevron/texaco.

I know, I know.  Why?  Because the corp cards are cool and no PG.  And because I love the Shell and Exxon cards (and speedpass) and got my foot in with Citi.

Citi denied me every other card they offer for some strange reason. 

Message 21 of 26
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I am glad that I do not have to carry a card around that is not accepted everywhere. So I have no store or gas cards and probably never will  Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lg, I only have 2 store cards myself and its about as many as I ever want.
Message 23 of 26
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

In a pinch, even if they are store cards, then you will want them Visa/Mastercard since they can be used away from that retailer as general use cc's too.

Message 24 of 26
yfan
Valued Contributor

@TravellingNomad wrote:

Last month my rebates totalled about $10. Couple that rebate with the gas stations having the gas 15-20 cents cheaper if you pay by cash or by chevron card. Even chase's rotating category on gas can't beat the savings im getting on the gas card.

True, but I think it primarily depends on where you get gas and what options are available to you. I usually get gas from Costco, which is at least 25-30 cents cheaper from other gas stations to begin with, and I get 3% back on top of that by using my TE Amex.

Message 25 of 26
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

the only reason I havn't looked into a gas card is because I try to use cash that way I keep the utl down on my cards. Plus here in jersey most places charge an extra ten cents a gallon when you use a card

So true.  There's one station in my immediate area that doesn't tack on additional for using a CC.  Then there's the issue that the major stations, e.g. Shell and BP are 15 to 20 cents higher than the smaller, local stations.  It just doesn't make economic sense in this region.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.