Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I live abroad, successful app: now fraud dept wants US address/phone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I live overseas, applied for CC: now fraud dept wants US address/phone

If I can't "salvage this application" as you put it, will that leave a negative mark on my credit history/report?

Message 21 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

If I can't "salvage this application" as you put it, will that leave a negative mark on my credit history/report?

Nope, just a HP (hard pull) where they checked your credit. 

In addition, Synchrony usually pulls TU which isn't used as often by the other major lenders as EQ and EX, so that's an added 'plus' (assuming the application can't be salvaged, of course).

Edited to add:  If the card is already reporting (which with Synchrony is likely - they report quickly) they might show it as 'closed by issuer' which would impact your AAoA (average age of accounts) but that's a bunch of 'ifs'.  Since it's open but is in a sort of 'limbo' waiting on verification there's a chance it might not report at all.  This is assuming again it can't be salvaged (worst-case scenario).

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh that's great!  (And yes, I see the HP on TU).  Thanks UncleB

Message 23 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh that's great!  (And yes, I see the HP on TU).  Thanks UncleB

You're very welcome!  Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, there may be hope to salvage this yet: armed with my new SMS-capable US-based VOIP phone#, I called back to verify my identity... but their SMS facility was down so they couldn't text me the code!  Argh!  (It wasn't wasted effort though: I needed a better voice/SMS solution than the GV line I previously had.)

So then the phone agent suggests he mail the code to my address (yes, the very same virtual forwarding address I used on the app), to which I said "sure, works for me"!  So all I have to do is call back when I get the letter and quote the code therein.

Fingers crossed...

Message 25 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, there may be hope to salvage this yet: armed with my new SMS-capable US-based VOIP phone#, I called back to verify my identity... but their SMS facility was down so they couldn't text me the code!  Argh!  (It wasn't wasted effort though: I needed a better voice/SMS solution than the GV line I previously had.)

So then the phone agent suggests he mail the code to my address (yes, the very same virtual forwarding address I used on the app), to which I said "sure, works for me"!  So all I have to do is call back when I get the letter and quote the code therein.

Fingers crossed...

This is great news! 

I know it will take a few days for the letter to work it's way to you, but let us know how it works out.  We're rooting for you!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

let us know how it works out

Got it! The code came in the mail, I called in and quoted it, they removed the block and activated my card at the same time! I now have my first US CC in 10 years Smiley Happy

Many thanks to all who provided advice!

Message 27 of 30
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
@UncleB wrote:

let us know how it works out

Got it! The code came in the mail, I called in and quoted it, they removed the block and activated my card at the same time! I now have my first US CC in 10 years Smiley Happy

Many thanks to all who provided advice!

This is great to hear, @Anonymous!  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for coming back here to close the loop for us, and be sure to keep us posted on your progress with reestablishing your U.S. credit!  Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 30
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: I live abroad, successful app: now fraud dept wants US address/phone

Congrats on sticking with itSmiley Happy Welcome back to USCredit, where all your credit dreams may come trueSmiley Wink
Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I live abroad, successful app: now fraud dept wants US address/phone

👏👏👏👊
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.