Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'll ask the fico fam until I can call tomorrow

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll ask the fico fam until I can call tomorrow

For some reason my American Express cards keep declining at stores I've used them at before. For example four days ago I used my ED for gas at shell, today I go try using it at the pump and it says call card issuer and I go in and it's declined. Then 30 minutes later I try it again at red robin it works. I'm not understanding why this happens. I have an addiction to paying my bills so it's never low on money. Same thing happened last night at Walmart I tried using my ED declined tried BCE declined. Then I go to the front and grab a candy bar swipe it again and it works! Why does this happen???
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'll ask the fico fam until I can call tomorrow

Not sure.  Sounds like a glitch somewhere?  I've had the same thing happen with my Citi card.  Can't even get to their site to pay.  Going to give them a call tomorrow.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure.  Sounds like a glitch somewhere?  I've had the same thing happen with my Citi card.  Can't even get to their site to pay.  Going to give them a call tomorrow.

i just paid via moblie app on for citi

website didn't work so i thought i'd try that way.

maybe website maintenance?

Message 3 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i just paid via moblie app on for citi

website didn't work so i thought i'd try that way.

maybe website maintenance?

Years ago I had a similar problem with an Amex card... every time I used it, the POS system would respond "Please Call" and I would either have to use a different card or wait for the cashier to get a manual approval.  At first I thought it was a glitch, but after about the 4th time it happened I called Amex, and the CSR told me there was nothing 'wrong' with my account, and she said she had no idea why it was doing that.  She suggested issuing me a replacement card (which came with a slightly different account number) and although it made no sense to me I said 'OK'.

A few days later I got the new card, activated it, and it worked with no problems.  I never believed the new card really made the difference, but since the problem never happened again I didn't complain <shrug>.

I will say it's not a good feeling to having to 'hold your breath' each time you use a card, hoping that it'll be approved.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds like what's happening to me, except I got an email saying my accounts were frozen. So today I called them so they could "authorize" the charges and make sure I was the one making them. No real answer as to why they thought someone had my account info seeing as how I used it the same two places before and it went thru. I don't know, I'm not liking this. Might app for something else and SD it if it keeps happening.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.