Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love NFCU and CareCredit

tag
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: I love NFCU and CareCredit

Thanks for the info everyone!  But, my mother was not a member either.  Smiley Sad

And at 51 I am not joining the Navy!  hahahaha

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 11 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That's what I meant. She doesn't have to be a member, either currently or before, if she receives a pension. (She might not, depending on whether your father retired or just put in his four years and separated.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@BungalowMo wrote:
Can I join NFCU if my father (now deceased) was in the Navy in WW2??

Unfortunately, membership requires a "current" member sponsor.  So even if your father was a member while in the service, but is now deceased, you are not eligible.

If your mother is still alive and is a member, then you can go through her.

In order to become a member, you must either be currently employed by the military/DoD or in a "paid" retirement from military/DoD, or the direct relative of a current NFCU member.  A family member who is or was eligible for NFCU does not make you eligible unless they join first.

This is different than other CU's or FSB's....such as USAA which allows "former service members" to join, or PSECU who allows you to join as long as you have a direct family member who is "eligible."

Message Edited by txjohn on 11-19-2009 04:43 AM

This is how I qualified. My father was Army, died in 1980, and my mother gets a survivor pension from DoD. She didn't have to join, btw. I told the CSR the situation, and bingo, I was in, because she is an annuitant.

I can't imagine how they were able to verify my eligibility. My father had a reasonably common name, and they didn't ask for his SSN, which like any military dependent, I still remember. But there you go.

I don't have any credit products yet. I'm letting my poor AAoA recover. For now, it's just a hundred bucks in checking and my debit card.

HTSU - you got one of those helpful CSR's, cause technically you were not qualified.

Membership (technically speaking) is only available to active service or annuitants, or to direct family of NFCU members.  Your mother's annuity/pension makes her eligible for membership, but technically does not make you eligible unless she actually joins first.  But NFCU obviously likes new members and growth and looks for ways to bypass the technical FOM rules.

I got in initially by phone when multiple CSR's assured me I was eligible on my own merit as an army veteran (no pension, annuity/retirement).  But when I got the papers to sign and send back, I could not find any way to complete the form as it required and within the rules it advocated.

Therefore, I got my father in law to join (active warrant officer), then wife joined, thus I was eligible and had a qualified sponsor. 

Many, many people have gotten the generous CSR's to let them in Smiley Happy  so I'm thinking there is a "wink-wink" unwritten rule that says, if you can find a reasonable reason, get 'em signed up!

IMO Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 16
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

From all I've read...I'm not qualified.  My mother rec'd no pension after my father's death.  He did the 4 & out.

I'll tell them that my FICO FAMILY sent me!  That'll work....right???? Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BungalowMo wrote:

From all I've read...I'm not qualified.  My mother rec'd no pension after my father's death.  He did the 4 & out.

I'll tell them that my FICO FAMILY sent me!  That'll work....right???? Smiley Very Happy

It all depends on the CSR you get.  The FOM rules would say you don't qualify.  But I have no doubt that certain CSR's would swear you do.

Message 15 of 16
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Hmmm....Maybe I'll just call & play dumb!

"My dad was in the Navy, so I wanted to try NFCU!!"  Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.