Senior Contributor
BungalowMo

Re: I love NFCU and CareCredit

Thanks for the info everyone!  But, my mother was not a member either.  :smileysad:

And at 51 I am not joining the Navy!  hahahaha

Starting Score: 07/2011 TU 732 - EQ 717 - EX 702
Current Score: 06/2014 TU 739 - EQ '08 709 - EX 721
Goal Score: 850

Bury me in the garden...last app 06.18.14

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

That's what I meant. She doesn't have to be a member, either currently or before, if she receives a pension. (She might not, depending on whether your father retired or just put in his four years and separated.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Senior Contributor
txjohn

haulingthescoreup wrote:

txjohn wrote:

BungalowMo wrote:
Can I join NFCU if my father (now deceased) was in the Navy in WW2??

Unfortunately, membership requires a "current" member sponsor.  So even if your father was a member while in the service, but is now deceased, you are not eligible.

If your mother is still alive and is a member, then you can go through her.

In order to become a member, you must either be currently employed by the military/DoD or in a "paid" retirement from military/DoD, or the direct relative of a current NFCU member.  A family member who is or was eligible for NFCU does not make you eligible unless they join first.

This is different than other CU's or FSB's....such as USAA which allows "former service members" to join, or PSECU who allows you to join as long as you have a direct family member who is "eligible."

Message Edited by txjohn on 11-19-2009 04:43 AM

This is how I qualified. My father was Army, died in 1980, and my mother gets a survivor pension from DoD. She didn't have to join, btw. I told the CSR the situation, and bingo, I was in, because she is an annuitant.

I can't imagine how they were able to verify my eligibility. My father had a reasonably common name, and they didn't ask for his SSN, which like any military dependent, I still remember. But there you go.

I don't have any credit products yet. I'm letting my poor AAoA recover. For now, it's just a hundred bucks in checking and my debit card.

HTSU - you got one of those helpful CSR's, cause technically you were not qualified.

Membership (technically speaking) is only available to active service or annuitants, or to direct family of NFCU members.  Your mother's annuity/pension makes her eligible for membership, but technically does not make you eligible unless she actually joins first.  But NFCU obviously likes new members and growth and looks for ways to bypass the technical FOM rules.

I got in initially by phone when multiple CSR's assured me I was eligible on my own merit as an army veteran (no pension, annuity/retirement).  But when I got the papers to sign and send back, I could not find any way to complete the form as it required and within the rules it advocated.

Therefore, I got my father in law to join (active warrant officer), then wife joined, thus I was eligible and had a qualified sponsor. 

Many, many people have gotten the generous CSR's to let them in :smileyhappy:  so I'm thinking there is a "wink-wink" unwritten rule that says, if you can find a reasonable reason, get 'em signed up!

IMO :smileywink:

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Senior Contributor
BungalowMo

From all I've read...I'm not qualified.  My mother rec'd no pension after my father's death.  He did the 4 & out.

I'll tell them that my FICO FAMILY sent me!  That'll work....right???? :smileyvery-happy:

Senior Contributor
txjohn

BungalowMo wrote:

From all I've read...I'm not qualified.  My mother rec'd no pension after my father's death.  He did the 4 & out.

I'll tell them that my FICO FAMILY sent me!  That'll work....right???? :smileyvery-happy:

It all depends on the CSR you get.  The FOM rules would say you don't qualify.  But I have no doubt that certain CSR's would swear you do.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Senior Contributor
BungalowMo

Hmmm....Maybe I'll just call & play dumb!

"My dad was in the Navy, so I wanted to try NFCU!!"  :smileyvery-happy:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}