Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love NFCU and CareCredit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love NFCU and CareCredit

Rebuilding credit and thought I would be stuck for years with the ugly builder cards. 

Recently applied (and was approved) for:

Orchard  $300

First Premiere  $250

Credit One  $400

I had tried the pre-approval sites for CapOne and BoA, but nothing offered.

My son recommended looking into NFCU since he is a member.  He has been telling me this for months.  I finally said okay and joined.  I applied immediately after membership application and.......

INSTANT APPROVAL $7500!!! for a Platinum Visa @ prime plus 9.65%

My son had also helped me apply for Care Credit to get some dental work done and I was approved for $7500 and was able to put dental on a 24 month no interest plan.

I haven't even received any of my builder cards and am going to cancel/reject Credit One and First Premiere.  I am thinking about keeping Orchard.  It doesn't have all the fees the other 2 had, just and AF which might be worth the price for another TL and backup card (like for gas or something).

These 2 companies have my loyalty and dedication to maintaining relationship.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: I love NFCU and CareCredit

First off....congrats on the sweet new cards!!!!  (nfcu & care cred)

With those 2 cards both having a 7.5k limit....I'd consider cancelling all 3 of the builders.  Low limits reap low limit cards. Before they can even report, cut the ties.  All you will have posting is 2 sweet limit prime level cards.  Give it 6 mos & timely payments....and get another prime card.   You honestly have no use for a builder card anymore!

Congrats!!!!!! Smiley Wink

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know the new regs allow you to reject a card and it not be reported, but right now I think you will get hit for the activation and AF up front and I don't thing FP and Credit One will waive or prorate it.  Let us know if I am wrong.

Congrats!  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
mt2va
Established Contributor

Congrats on NFCU!
Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 4 of 16
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Congrats on the new cards! If you don't mind me asking...what ar your FICO scores?  And what reports did they pull?
Message Edited by aquatic1 on 11-18-2009 09:33 PM

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 16
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Can I join NFCU if my father (now deceased) was in the Navy in WW2??
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BungalowMo wrote:

Unfortunately, membership requires a "current" member sponsor.  So even if your father was a member while in the service, but is now deceased, you are not eligible.

If your mother is still alive and is a member, then you can go through her.

In order to become a member, you must either be currently employed by the military/DoD or in a "paid" retirement from military/DoD, or the direct relative of a current NFCU member.  A family member who is or was eligible for NFCU does not make you eligible unless they join first.

This is different than other CU's or FSB's....such as USAA which allows "former service members" to join, or PSECU who allows you to join as long as you have a direct family member who is "eligible."

Message Edited by txjohn on 11-19-2009 04:43 AM
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aquatic1 wrote:
Congrats on the new cards! If you don't mind me asking...what ar your FICO scores?  And what reports did they pull?
Message Edited by aquatic1 on 11-18-2009 09:33 PM

I had not run myfico prior to apps, I was using CCT to review CR content and balances.  But I was curious to know my true FICO scores, so I ran myfico after all of my apps.  I would think my scores had been a little higher prior to apps since I had no inquiries previously and I now have several on each.  I have 5 large tax liens and 1 very old collection from Midland which I am disputing because the reported "OPENED" date is "0001"

Your Latest FICO® Scores

TransUnion  696 
Equifax  662

Message Edited by dwn on 11-19-2009 04:51 AM
Message 8 of 16
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Thanks for the info.  Again, congrats!

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

txjohn wrote:

@BungalowMo wrote:

Unfortunately, membership requires a "current" member sponsor.  So even if your father was a member while in the service, but is now deceased, you are not eligible.

If your mother is still alive and is a member, then you can go through her.

In order to become a member, you must either be currently employed by the military/DoD or in a "paid" retirement from military/DoD, or the direct relative of a current NFCU member.  A family member who is or was eligible for NFCU does not make you eligible unless they join first.

This is different than other CU's or FSB's....such as USAA which allows "former service members" to join, or PSECU who allows you to join as long as you have a direct family member who is "eligible."

Message Edited by txjohn on 11-19-2009 04:43 AM

This is how I qualified. My father was Army, died in 1980, and my mother gets a survivor pension from DoD. She didn't have to join, btw. I told the CSR the situation, and bingo, I was in, because she is an annuitant.

I can't imagine how they were able to verify my eligibility. My father had a reasonably common name, and they didn't ask for his SSN, which like any military dependent, I still remember. But there you go.

I don't have any credit products yet. I'm letting my poor AAoA recover. For now, it's just a hundred bucks in checking and my debit card.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.