Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love my credit union!

tag
boireann
Regular Contributor

Re: I love my credit union!

@Anonymous wrote:

I have to concur.  CU's are very nice to deal with, especially now.

If you have good locals, that's even better.  So far I have tapped Alliant, PenFed, NFCU, Addison, PSECU and USAA (while not a CU but Federal Savings Bank, it is member owned and acts like a CU).

So I have to say, I LOVE MY CREDIT UNIONS...plural

NFCU and PSECU gave me the best CL's

NFCU and Alliant gave me the best rates

NFCU and PSECU have the most flexible no fee use

USAA and Addison has the friendliest CSR's and most one on one interaction

I'd love to have NFCU.  Several family members are former military, but none of them have ever been members. 

01/07 scores: Too scared to find out after looking at my free CRA reports
03/08 scores: TU: 660 EQ: 646 EX: 624
09/09 scores: TU: 735 EQ: 778 EX: ???
02/10 scores: TU: 779 EQ: 801 EX: 798 (home loan officer pull)
03/14 scores: TU 799 EQ: 809 EX: 817 (car loan credit union pull)
All that hard work paid off!!!! I'm now a happy home owner with an awesome interest rate!

CC Limits Garden Amex Clear $23000, USAA World Amex $15000, USAA Wold MasterCard $15000, BECU Visa $10,000, PenFed Visa $15000. Took a long time to get nice limits and low interest from that first app to BECU for $500 when I first started cleaning up my reports.
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If any are retired, or are getting monthly retirement/disability checks from the military they can still become members. (also if any were court martialed and are still on appealate leave)

Message 12 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If any are retired, or are getting monthly retirement/disability checks from the military they can still become members. (also if any were court martialed and are still on appealate leave)

Gee, there's a bright spot in an otherwise dreary scenario...

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone on appeallate leave is still a member of the US Armed Forces.

Their case is going through the appeals process and they have all the rights/benefits of an AD member of the military.

Message 14 of 17
marty56
Super Contributor

CU's rule.  I would never do business with a commerical bank again except for GEMB.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 15 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
CU's rule.  I would never do business with a commerical bank again except for GEMB.

of all commercial banks- GE Money, why?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

of all commercial banks- GE Money, why?

I don't have previous experience with GEMB.  But in the last few months I picked up a Rooms to Go and CareCredit account.  My CL's were generous and I get great interest free deals.  The online services are work well.  When I call in they are courteous and helpful.

HERE IS A GOOD THING ABOUT GEMB:  They don't force you to pay the promo rate balances before the higher interest balances.  Case in point:  Rooms to Go solicited me on an extended furniture warranty deal after my furniture purchase.  I went ahead as the price was fair for the coverage.  My furniture purchase was no interest till 2013.  however my secondary purchase for warranty showed up at standard APR which is 24.99%.  I called in very annoyed.  They informed me that my interest free payments of $113 applied any excess above that amount to the higher interest rate purchases.

So, my $224 warranty purchase can be paid off and eliminate the APR on it while still making my promo no interest payments between now and 2013. 

As we all know, many banks currently put all payments to the promo or lowest rate balance first and that balance must be paid off before you can touch the higher rate balances.  I was going to cancel the warranty until I found out all I have to do is pay the $113 monthly, plus add in $224 and my warranty balance is zeroed out.

SO far I have no complaints on GEMB.  Asked for $12,500 CareCredit and got instant approval.  I called in the next day for CLI to $14,000 and was approved in just a couple minutes.  Rooms to Go was instant approval $6500. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.