Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm a NFCU member now!! Now to apply?

tag
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

I'm a NFCU member now!! Now to apply?

I have been waiting months and now I am finally in. My scores are around 640's FICO with a paid judgement a several baddies still showing (all paid). Inquiries are low (less than 4 each), but my utilization is currently high. I think I should wait till next month when my cards report a zero balance.

I currently have secured BofA $500, Wal-Mart $500, Belk (GEMB) $400

NFCU pulled TU for the membership. Does that mean they will pull TU when I app for the card? 

Any thoughts of suggestions? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: I'm a NFCU member now!! Now to apply?

@sbeasl11 wrote:

I have been waiting months and now I am finally in. My scores are around 640's FICO with a paid judgement a several baddies still showing (all paid). Inquiries are low (less than 4 each), but my utilization is currently high. I think I should wait till next month when my cards report a zero balance.

I currently have secured BofA $500, Wal-Mart $500, Belk (GEMB) $400

NFCU pulled TU for the membership. Does that mean they will pull TU when I app for the card? 

Any thoughts of suggestions? 

I would apply now!

If they approve low or decline apply again next month when it all updates to $0 but that's probably not the issue, it would be the judgement in my mind... util doesn't seem to be an issue... my roommate got his $6k instant with a 30 day late from that month and complete maxed out 6 out of 7 (7th being an authorized card)... .debt totaled just under $5k I believe.

Message 2 of 11
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I would wait. You might be able to get it now but utilization is important to your score and Im sure it will go up some once the balance is reported. It may not make a huge difference but it could mean a bigger limit or a better intrest rate. I have been watching my util go  from 50% down to 16% presently with an increase of 24 points to my equifax score. It will probably jump a little higher when I get it into the single digit util numbers. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 3 of 11
coachmiff
Regular Contributor

It's your call--but--got the visa platnium with a 629 score and 4 unpaid baddies(4years old)--cl7000

Navy Siggy Cash Rewards 25K , Navy plat visa 25k,navy go 25k, Navy Check 15K, , USAA Am Exp 18K, USAA MC Rate Advantage 18K, Discover IT 18.5K, PayPal Extras MC 7.5K, Chase Military Star MC 2.5K, Military Star 8.05k, Wallmart discover 7.5k, Amex bce 25k,Boa cash rewards25k, southwest chase 4k, nasa cr 30k,nasa rew 5k,barc rewards 25k=279k+ scores 750 across the board
Message 4 of 11
Bleety17
Regular Contributor

Have you tried to send GW letters to the baddies? Are any collections? If you have some that are collections i would try to get rid fo them ASAP.

USAA Mastercard-$2000 USAA Visa-$2000 USAA SC-$600 NFCU-$12500 Walmart-$3500 BestBuy $1000 Navcheck 3000

Message 5 of 11
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the responses. 

Will NFCU pull TU again when I app, since that's who they pulled for membership?

Also, which card should I apply for??

Yes, the baddies are from a couple of charged off cards. Those turned into additional collection accounts. 

I hear CapOne is very hard to GW.

Any other votes for waiting or apping now? I want to apply now, but I know my score will go back up about 15-20 points next month...

Message 6 of 11
bbb3601
Frequent Contributor

card will be eq

NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000,NFCU Plat 17,000, NavCheck 15,000, USAA Cash 4,000, USSA Rate Adv 2,000, USAA AMEX 3,500, Freedom 2,000, Capital One 2,000, Barclay's Apple 1,500, Barclay's Ring 1500, Various Store Cards.

Message 7 of 11
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Its freaking tough I know. I want to app for a chase card with a better limit and I want to get a mercedes benz amex so bad. I just have to wait until I can get this last $650 balance paid down so my util is not at 15% on one card. I probably need to wait until April for the amex too so I have 6 months of positive history with amex. Waiting freaking sucks but I think it will be worth it. Its not that long in the grand scheme of things.. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 8 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@sbeasl11 wrote:

Thanks for the responses. 

Will NFCU pull TU again when I app, since that's who they pulled for membership?

Also, which card should I apply for??

Yes, the baddies are from a couple of charged off cards. Those turned into additional collection accounts. 

I hear CapOne is very hard to GW.

Any other votes for waiting or apping now? I want to apply now, but I know my score will go back up about 15-20 points next month...

Wait until next month, i could mean the difference between a toy limit and a real limit!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 11
distantarray
Established Contributor

wait til you get your utility down then you'll get a much better credit limit

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.