Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm at Kohl's, should I apply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm at Kohl's, should I apply?

Congratulations lol I never would have had the bollocks to apply in front of everyone and maybe get denied

Message 31 of 44
pt2005
Regular Contributor

Congrats.

My Kohls card is still $100. Been 8 years! Last time I called about 6 months ago they said they were doing some changes and could not increase. 

I want to cancel my Kohls card and reapply. Is it sound reasonable everyone?

FICO Scores 8: EX 731, EQ 731, TU 725

Credit Cards: Chase Freedom 9.5K | AMEX TrueEarnings 4.5K | Cap1 Venture Visa 3.5K | Cap1 QS MC 3.5K | Discover IT 1K | Cap1 Spark Cash 15K | AMEX SimplyCash 9K

Store: PayPal SmartConnect 10K | JCP 5.2K | Banana 3.3K | Walmart 4.5K | Kohls 1.5K | TargetRED 200
Message 32 of 44
pinoyscorpion951
New Contributor

I have this theory that I use whenever I apply for store credit now that I never use to consider in the past. Maybe some of the credit experts here can chime in on whether or not this has any basis for fact. During big sales events, special promotions and close to, or during the big shopping season (black friday and up until xmas), many retail stores lower their lending standards and allow people like me who are rebuilding their credit an opportunity to get approved. Also, I believe that towards the tail end of the year, if retailers havent met their goals on the amount of consumer retail accounts in their portfolio, they will also start lowering their approval standards. I've also found that applying in store yields better approval results and higher credit limits. Take my recent history into consideration. I went on a recent app spree after only gardening for 3 months. On my previous spree I was denied for Old Navy, Walmart, and TJX (Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Home Goods stores). I applied for all of these online and was promptly denied every single time. All of these cards are GECRB backed cards. I thought GE hated me. I've never in my life had a GE backed card or included them in BK. I had heard GE was bk friendly and thought my odds were pretty good since there were many people that got approved post bk7. I tried to recon all of them and got denials for all!! I was told by an underwriter that I could reapply again in 30 days for Walmart and 90 days for the two others. So I waited at least 90 days to try again for all three and changed my approach. This time I would apply in store and wait for special promotions or a big sale to see what would happen. The first sign I saw that an approval was likely was when Walmart had an 18 months no interest financing option on electronics purchases over 400 dollars. I applied in the electronics section and told the cashier I wanted to make a large purchase and wanted to take advantage of the 18 months no interest promo. Approved...$2100. Reconned to $3700 literally minutes later after talking to an underwriter and making up a story about wanting to buy a tv but didnt get approved for enough credit. Next stop, Old Navy where they were having their "Stuff and Save Sale". 40 percent off everything in store including clearance items. In addition, new card holders will receive an additional 10 percent off for 60 days. Plus......for every 25 dollars you spend, you get 10 dollars in Old Navy Super Cash to use in November. The salespeople were promoting the card very aggressively and everyone that I saw who applied got approved immediately. I applied in store and was approved for $400. Wound up buying $300 in merchandise for $150. Bought 50 items total for my kids. Paid nothing over $6 dollars for anything. A lot of the shirts I bought for my kids would up being only $1.48. The kids were happy! Finally over to Marshalls where they were having 25% off on already reduced clearance items for two days only and an additional %10 if approved for credit. Once again, employees were agressively promoting the card and people were getting approved left and right. Applied...Approved $600 dollars. Bought 2 jackets. One for me, one for the wife. Original prices $200 and $149. Clearance prices $50 and $30. Total after all the savings tallied: $18 and $11. Sorry to sound like a shopaholic but these are things that my wife and I had to learn how to do in a tough economy. If its not on sale or clearance, I'm not buying it. Also, if the money is not in the bank to pay off these purchases in full....I'm not buying it. I hope this information is helpful to anyone looking to apply and save some money during these sales events! Thanks everyone!

Message 33 of 44
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 34 of 44
HiLine
Blogger

Nice! Congratulations! The Kohl's card is one of the most valuable store cards you'll find Smiley Wink

Message 35 of 44
RW771
Frequent Contributor

@pt2005 wrote:

Congrats.

My Kohls card is still $100. Been 8 years! Last time I called about 6 months ago they said they were doing some changes and could not increase. 

I feel exactly the same way! I've had my Kohl's card for 4 years now and still stuck at a $200 limit! They tell me the same thing when I call, and I don't want a HP just to find out they'll only increase it like $300...they must not be hurting for business too bad apparently!

Congrats OP! $800 is like platinum status in the Kohl's world lol. Makes my $200 limit look like nothing. I call it my outfit card because once I buy a shirt and pair of pants, I'm at about 1/2 of my total limit lol.

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 36 of 44
pinoyscorpion951
New Contributor

Re: I'm at Kohl's, should I apply? Update: Approved...Finally!!

@RW771 wrote:

@pt2005 wrote:

Congrats.

I feel exactly the same way! I've had my Kohl's card for 4 years now and still stuck at a $200 limit! They tell me the same thing when I call, and I don't want a HP just to find out they'll only increase it like $300...they must not be hurting for business too bad apparently!

Congrats OP! $800 is like platinum status in the Kohl's world lol. Makes my $200 limit look like nothing. I call it my outfit card because once I buy a shirt and pair of pants, I'm at about 1/2 of my total limit lol.

Thanks RW. Wife and I went back to Koh'ls early this morning to exchange a few items that were the wrong size. While we were doing the exchange at customer service, I was speaking to an associate who confirmed that it is much easier to get the Kohl's card now that Capital One purchased Kohls' credit portfolio. I know a few of the posters on this thread were saying that Cap1 only handles the monetary side of things and that the actual underwriting is handled by Kohl's but this is the second time an actual store associate has mentioned that the underwriting standards have been loosened since it is no longer held by Chase. She mentioned that when Chase was involved she saw about a 3 in 10 approval ratio at the register from people who applied. Now, she says it is about 6 to 10. She mentioned that she has worked for Kohl's for 6 years so it apears the sample size that she is extracting this observation from is fairly large. YMMV, I'm not sure of your credit status currently but like I was saying, I'm 13 months post bk with a 660 EXP score and a few baddies still on my report from 4 years ago and they approved me for 800. If your situation is similar or better, I would venture to say that you would get approved for something comparable if not better. I still hold firm in my belief that the best time to apply for credit is during a big sale or during the holidays. The Kohl's sale is going on till the 29th of this month, and during this sale you will get the trifecta: Clearance items marked down considerably, 30 percent off your purchase, and Kohl's cash for every 50 dollars that you spend. We shop at Kohl's regularly so this is an excellent account for our family to have. I've been dying to get it for years but was always denied. If our spending pattern here stays the way it has been the last 4 years that we've been shopping here, we will qualify for mvc status and even better perks. Good luck with whatever decision you choose and I hope this information helps you.

Message 37 of 44
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@pinoyscorpion951 wrote:

@RW771 wrote:

@pt2005 wrote:

Congrats.

Thanks RW. Wife and I went back to Koh'ls early this morning to exchange a few items that were the wrong size. While we were doing the exchange at customer service, I was speaking to an associate who confirmed that it is much easier to get the Kohl's card now that Capital One purchased Kohls' credit portfolio. I know a few of the posters on this thread were saying that Cap1 only handles the monetary side of things and that the actual underwriting is handled by Kohl's but this is the second time an actual store associate has mentioned that the underwriting standards have been loosened since it is no longer held by Chase. She mentioned that when Chase was involved she saw about a 3 in 10 approval ratio at the register from people who applied. Now, she says it is about 6 to 10. She mentioned that she has worked for Kohl's for 6 years so it apears the sample size that she is extracting this observation from is fairly large. YMMV, I'm not sure of your credit status currently but like I was saying, I'm 13 months post bk with a 660 EXP score and a few baddies still on my report from 4 years ago and they approved me for 800. If your situation is similar or better, I would venture to say that you would get approved for something comparable if not better. I still hold firm in my belief that the best time to apply for credit is during a big sale or during the holidays. The Kohl's sale is going on till the 29th of this month, and during this sale you will get the trifecta: Clearance items marked down considerably, 30 percent off your purchase, and Kohl's cash for every 50 dollars that you spend. We shop at Kohl's regularly so this is an exellent account for our family to have. I've been dying to get it for years but was always denied. If our spending pattern here stays the way it has been the last 4 years that we've been shopping here, we will qualify for mvc status and even better perks. Good luck with whatever decision you choose and I hope this information helps you.

I applied for a kohls charge a few months ago, but was declined. I tried calling capital one to find out why and request a recon, but when I called they couldnt even pull up my application. I told them it was for a kohls charge card, and they informed me that they do not make any approval decisions for kohls, only back the card financially. Who knows? lol

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 38 of 44
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I am surprised by the initial CLs some people are getting.  My wife applied for the Kohls charge the same day she applied for the Chase Southwest RR Signature card.  Results were Chase $10,500, Kohls $400. 

Congrats everyone.  Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

Message 39 of 44
pinoyscorpion951
New Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

I am surprised by the initial CLs some people are getting.  My wife applied for the Kohls charge the same day she applied for the Chase Southwest RR Signature card.  Results were Chase $10,500, Kohls $400. 

Congrats everyone.  Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

Did DW apply in store?

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.