cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm at Kohl's, should I apply?

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm at Kohl's, should I apply? Update: Approved...Finally!!

@pinoyscorpion951 wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

I am surprised by the initial CLs some people are getting.  My wife applied for the Kohls charge the same day she applied for the Chase Southwest RR Signature card.  Results were Chase $10,500, Kohls $400. 

Congrats everyone.  Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

Did DW apply in store?

Message 41 of 44
LS2982
Mega Contributor

So did Cap1 hit yo uwith 3 HP's for this cards??

CONGRATS by the way!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 42 of 44
pinoyscorpion951
New Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

@pinoyscorpion951 wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

I am surprised by the initial CLs some people are getting.  My wife applied for the Kohls charge the same day she applied for the Chase Southwest RR Signature card.  Results were Chase $10,500, Kohls $400. 

Congrats everyone.  Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

Did DW apply in store?

It appears that my suspicions have some basis of fact. Applying in store as opposed to online yields better results for not only approval but initial credit limits as well. That's why I've changed my approach when it comes to applying for store credit. I compared my results with two databases: whogavemecredit.com and the credit pulls database on creditboards and in store approvals resulted in higher initial credit limits. Given your wife's recent approval for the Chase Southwest Card, I would think she would get approved for at least 300-400 more than I did. In my case, I was already aware that Capital One was not giving any CLI's any time soon for this account as previous posters have mentioned so I was hoping to maximize everything by applying in store. I'm satisfied that my gamble worked out. Hopefully Capital One fixes their system so your wife can get an increase. I realize there are many variables that influence credit approval and starting limits but I always play the percentages. Congrats on your wife getting approved for both. The Chase limit is AWESOME!!!

Message 43 of 44
pinoyscorpion951
New Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

So did Cap1 hit yo uwith 3 HP's for this cards??

CONGRATS by the way!!

For this account, Kohl's/Capital one only pulls Experian. I confirmed the hard pull today. I went to the creditboards database and whogavemecredit.com and researched which CRA they pull from and the sample size of the people who were approved along with their scores and credit histories prior to approval. Once I determined that I had similar or better scores, income and credit histories as the people who stated that they were approved, I went ahead and waited for the right time. In this case, I waited for a big sale hoping that Kohl's would ease their underwriting requirements during the sale period to allow people who are borderline to take advantage of their promos. I then applied in store knowing from the data that I researched that in store app's yielded better approval odds and higher credit limits. In my particular case it far exceeded my expectations. I would have been happy with a $400 dollar limit. I stand behind this technique and plan to use it again after more inquiries drop off my reports and my AAoA seasons for about year or two. 

Message 44 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.