cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm done...no more app'ing...I hope...USAA Amex!

tag
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

Re: I'm done...no more app'ing...I hope...USAA Amex!

@bigtim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I always said when I app'd and got approved for the USAA Amex I would call it quits. Well 9 cards later (including the new USAA Amex) I hope so, lol.

Wahoo!!!! I hope the addiction/thirst/twitch for app'ing is done for me...at least for 5-7 years, lol. 

Don't be so hard on yourself... Apping & opening these new accounts are a POSITIVE, reassuring experience. Let's go over some of the positives:

1) You get that renewed reassurance that you can still obtain new credit, it proves that you are still worthy (creditworthy) that you need - especially if it's been a few weeks since an app & approval...

2) You add a new account & limit that looks cool (to you) on your CR

3) You feel better about yourself after reading the posts on here about others obtaining great cards with nice CLs - it eases some of the envy, resentment, jealousy, etc. towards some of these lucky b**stards...

4) You get to "brag" to your friends & family about having all these high limits - it proves you are special, and probably better than they are....

5) When you go to the store to make a purchase and open your wallet to pay, you have to shuffle through all of these impressive cards - the clerk and people behind you look at you like you must be some sort of important, wealthy big shot...

6) And probably least important, you have more buying power now (that in my case I can't afford & don't need anyway...)

So you see, this addiction we have is a healthy, positive one. Don't feel guilty about it - embrace it, nurture it...

Smiley Very Happy

I nominate this as post of the month. Very funny, well written and actually true.

Message 11 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

On top of all those reasons every time I am approved for new credit or a CLI my FICO scores go up!

(YMMV)

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-22-2009 08:51 PM
Message 12 of 21
pattycake
Established Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

On top of all those reasons every time I am approved for new credit or a CLI my FICO scores go up!

(YMMV)

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-22-2009 08:51 PM

I'm JEALOUS!!! Smiley Wink 

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 13 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

It just happened again today when some new stuff reported.
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
It just happened again today when some new stuff reported.

really? interesting...mine normally eqaulizes and stays w/in 1-2 pts of initial pre-app score (ding from inq and increase for lower util)...you're lucky. congrats on the recent increase!

Message 15 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Pj, bigtim left off the most important advantage of the USAA AmEx:

--it's black, and people who don't know any better think it's a Centurion! Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, congrats on your card. Now that my USAA MC is a World card (and it reports properly, too), both my USAA cards have great consumer protections. I took all my bank cards out of my wallet last month. All that's in there now are the PenFed card and the USAA ones. Simplifies my life something fierce.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Pj, bigtim left off the most important advantage of the USAA AmEx:

--it's black, and people who don't know any better think it's a Centurion! Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, congrats on your card. Now that my USAA MC is a World card (and it reports properly, too), both my USAA cards have great consumer protections. I took all my bank cards out of my wallet last month. All that's in there now are the PenFed card and the USAA ones. Simplifies my life something fierce.

I love that it's black! Also, your strategy is my strategy, plus a blue cash amex - until the year ends and I no longer get my 5% =P. Now, I just need to find small bills to put on autopay for the other 6 little monsters, lol. 

Message 17 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'm having to use my bank cards for occasional online purchases. My one recurring charge (Verizon bill) is now on PenFed instead of AmEx.

PenFed now insures your cell phones ($50 deductible) if you run your bill through them. And the way that my youngest abuses cell phones, this is a deal.

Cell Phone Protection with PenFed

Protect Your Cell Phone
with Visa & PenFed
Cell Phone Protection* at No Additional Cost!
What is it?

If your cell phone breaks because of life's little mishaps - a theft, a flush, a dunk or a drop- the benefit can help you regain connection. Charge your monthly wireless Cell Phone bill to your PenFed's Visa credit card or debit card and receive the Cell Phone Protection benefit. Cell Phone Protection reimburses you for damage to or theft of your eligible cell phones, Smartphones or personal digital assistants (PDAs).

I'm still trying to figure out if I get cashback for this. Since my cell phone bill is around $220/ month, this would be nice!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out if I get cashback for this. Since my cell phone bill is around $220/ month, this would be nice!

I am virtually certain you do get the 1.25% for mobile phone bills paid thru PenFed. It would be a purchase that does not fall under any of the other categories and they are not really chiselers. I pay mine that way every month - I just haven't dropped my Assurion (sp?) coverage yet. That somewhat surprises me since I am such a cheapskate and am covering two handsets. I have replaced two failed handset under Assurion and must say I have had pretty good luck in getting them to be nice to me when my current handset has been discontinued. They always try to cheap out initially but bend if pressed.

Message 19 of 21
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

@GomerPyle wrote:

I nominate this as post of the month. Very funny, well written and actually true.

Hehehee... thanks. Glad some of you liked it - I know I sure had fun writing it, and it was somewhat enlightening as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.