Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm done with "Chas(e)ing"....

tag
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm done with "Chas(e)ing"....

No problem with this. One of my governing principles is not giving my business to ANYONE who doesn't appreciate/want it. Screw them.  We're paying for all these "rewards" through higher merchant fees and costs at point of sale. It's a racket people. Have fun with this yes, but don't lose yourselves in this illusion.

Message 31 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

No problem with this. One of my governing principles is not giving my business to ANYONE who doesn't appreciate/want it. Screw them.  We're paying for all these "rewards" through higher merchant fees and costs at point of sale. It's a racket people. Have fun with this yes, but don't lose yourselves in this illusion.

But unless there is some major change (e.g. through a change in the law, which won't happen), reward cards are going to stay, so there will be higher costs.  Given that, you may as well reduce those costs by maximizing rewards.    And, as such, I don't really care if the issuer appreciates me, so long as it is not too painful.    My SM was my lowest limit by far, but since that is capped at a max of $1,250 spend per month for rewards, that was fine.  And if a profitable card won't do an APR reduction (when I alway PIF anyway) I am not going to spite myself by getting rid of it.

If the experience is truly nasty, so that I no longer feel the rewards overcome the pain, then yes, but that, for me, is a high threshold.

Message 32 of 37
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@805orbust wrote:

But unless there is some major change (e.g. through a change in the law, which won't happen), reward cards are going to stay, so there will be higher costs.  Given that, you may as well reduce those costs by maximizing rewards.    And, as such, I don't really care if the issuer appreciates me, so long as it is not too painful.    My SM was my lowest limit by far, but since that is capped at a max of $1,250 spend per month for rewards, that was fine.  And if a profitable card won't do an APR reduction (when I alway PIF anyway) I am not going to spite myself by getting rid of it.

If the experience is truly nasty, so that I no longer feel the rewards overcome the pain, then yes, but that, for me, is a high threshold.

Totally agree.  Which is why I advocate having fun with this, but not losing ourselves in the illusion.  Recouping a fraction of the money already taken from you via outrageous fees isn't what I would define as a "reward".  IMHO of course.  I'll take them, and enjoy doing so, but I've paid for them in full.  As a matter of fact, I'm POSITIVE I've paid for a few other people's "rewards" at other points in my life.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 33 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@805orbust

Let's not forget,the biggest and grandest...part off the illusion!!!

we are actually borrowing each other's moneySmiley LOL 

Mind blown people,mines especially LOL!!!

(Our peers cash >banks>cash+what ever interest> to our neighbor Mr.peer) mortgage,CC ,auto loan,loc,etc. 

Message 34 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@805orbust

Let's not forget,the biggest and grandest...part off the illusion!!!

we are actually borrowing each other's moneySmiley LOL 

Mind blown people,mines especially LOL!!!

(Our peers cash >banks>cash+what ever interest> to our neighbor Mr.peer) mortgage,CC ,auto loan,loc,etc. 

oh yay can we talk about p2p lending, investing via bots?  (prosper, and the like) Where this automated system buys  and manages1000's of portions of loans, for a 5-10% ROI?

Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

jfriend33-

Was not awr. Of that.....interesting...😶
Message 36 of 37
805orbust
Valued Contributor

MILOfico *drops mic*...

Dang. Never thought about it like that. We really are on a hamster wheel.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.