cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm getting ready to apply for another Discover card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting ready to apply for another Discover card?

I got a Discover card ad in last week's Sunday newspaper that I want to apply for. They give me a bonus $100 cashback when I spend $500 within 3 months of getting the card and 0% interest on balance transfers until May '09. I'm planning on using my "free" money courtesy of the US govt. to upgrade my camera and buy some camping gear, if I use my newly acquired card to make the purchase I save $100. Very good deal if you ask me. I also have a balance on my Visa Amazon card that I would like to transfer. My problem is that I already have a Discover card that I got not too long ago, (sometime last year, I'm still paying 0% interest on purchases and balance transfers).

What are the odds of these guys approving me again? If they decline me, would it sweeten the deal if I promise to close my Visa Amazon card or does that only work with banks and credit unions?

My Equifax score is 663 and I care more about paying less interest on my balances than raising my credit score right now.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Re: I'm getting ready to apply for another Discover card?

At 663 you can flip a coin...it's 50/50 with Discover.  If you have a lot of inquiries...your chances lessen.  But since you already have an established account (6 months or more i'm assuming) You may fair better than those odds.  I would apply and submit the BT's and see what they say. 
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 2 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

javi84 wrote:

My Equifax score is 663 and I care more about paying less interest on my balances than raising my credit score right now.

It's better if you know your FICO EX and TU scores...it's unlikely Discover will yank your EQ report.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I DO have a chance at getting approved even though I already have a card with them? PS. My TransUnion score is always higher than my Equifax and my Experian is always lower.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked to see if you're even eligible for the offer before you apply?

Often those kind of deals are only good for new account holders.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh well, they declined me. I'm 100% sure the letter I'll get in the mail will say something about me having too much revolving credit. Guess I'll have to take out a personal loan to pay off the CCs and then close them.....I'll probably just keep one though.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.