red259
Super Contributor

Re: I'm giving up on Amex

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I just applied for the Amex green charge and I was denied... I'm so disappointed amex can't give me a chance

I wouldn't worry about it. Amex isn't the holy grail or anything. You have good and solid cards that you can build with. Honestly, most of my spend goes through my chase cards over my amex cards. 

For cash back options i think there are much better cards out there than amex cards. The only debate comes when you compare reward programs. I think amex has two of the top 3 flight reward programs. SPG is probably the best one out there as far as points value go, and MR is probably third behind chase UR. I agree with Red that they are one of the cards on this forum that gets way too much love. There are some perks with having an amex card, but its not an mandatory card to have. 

The value of SPG points are good but they are a lot harder to earn due to lack of cards that you can get signup bonuses with as well as limited bonus categories, especially when compared against Chase URs.

I agree that but i would use SPG for the non categorized spending that other cards don't cover. If I had all the cards i want for travel rewards break down would go like this Chase UR for dining and online shopping, EDP or PRG for gas and groceries, and SPG for everyday spending. 

Back on topic to amex as an whole, i am an bit down on them because they don't seem interested in wanting me to get any of their cards or keep them. 

I understand your notion of using the SPG for non-cat spend. That is the logic I currently follow, however my non-cat spend is going to shift over to the amex everday preferred when I get it because I think I will be able to earn many more MR points than I can with SPG on non-cat spend and I may end up dumping the SPG card as a result. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 47
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I just applied for the Amex green charge and I was denied... I'm so disappointed amex can't give me a chance

I wouldn't worry about it. Amex isn't the holy grail or anything. You have good and solid cards that you can build with. Honestly, most of my spend goes through my chase cards over my amex cards. 

For cash back options i think there are much better cards out there than amex cards. The only debate comes when you compare reward programs. I think amex has two of the top 3 flight reward programs. SPG is probably the best one out there as far as points value go, and MR is probably third behind chase UR. I agree with Red that they are one of the cards on this forum that gets way too much love. There are some perks with having an amex card, but its not an mandatory card to have. 

The value of SPG points are good but they are a lot harder to earn due to lack of cards that you can get signup bonuses with as well as limited bonus categories, especially when compared against Chase URs.

I agree that but i would use SPG for the non categorized spending that other cards don't cover. If I had all the cards i want for travel rewards break down would go like this Chase UR for dining and online shopping, EDP or PRG for gas and groceries, and SPG for everyday spending. 

Back on topic to amex as an whole, i am an bit down on them because they don't seem interested in wanting me to get any of their cards or keep them. 

I understand your notion of using the SPG for non-cat spend. That is the logic I currently follow, however my non-cat spend is going to shift over to the amex everday preferred when I get it because I think I will be able to earn many more MR points than I can with SPG on non-cat spend and I may end up dumping the SPG card as a result. 

Yes i can understand why you don't think spg is worth it if its just non category spending. Thats the major drawback  of the card it has no bonus spending whatsoever. If you are looking for best value per point i don't think it can be beat. Also it gives you options for hotels, which i don't think mr or UR have tremendous access to . MR to hilton isn't something i would spend points on. UR to hyatt is viable but hyatt loacations are very limited outside US. UR to marriot or IHG isn't worth it for me.

I just like having variety i guess. I don't like getting stuck with one program , and then points get devalued like say for example the way UR nerfed annual divident and chase freedom bonus, its not an huge nerf, but nobody likes to have points devalued. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 47
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

"You can't quit now! You're better than that!" *Rocky Balboa voice*

Don't give up on something you want. Be patient, it just isn't your turn to have it. It took me three tries to finally be approved for my PRG. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 47
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't get upset. You can always try again later down the road. That's exactly how I felt about Chase and it took me several times to try to get my foot in the door and when I did, I got one of the biggest starting CLs I had ever gotten.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 14 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats good to know ! ill try down the road like in a year not less

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't get upset. You can always try again later down the road. That's exactly how I felt about Chase and it took me several times to try to get my foot in the door and when I did, I got one of the biggest starting CLs I had ever gotten.

Message 15 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ill be keeping that in mind for the far future!

Message 16 of 47
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

It took me two years of apping for amex before finally getting approved. Strangly enough, after 30 days I got an approval after a previous denial and my CR didn't change much. If you want it, keep working for it. You do have great cards as is so take that as sometinng positive. Try again in the future once you gain more solid history with the cards you currently have. As long as you don't have any crazy things going on with your CR, it'll happen...

Message 17 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

For cash back options i think there are much better cards out there than amex cards. The only debate comes when you compare reward programs. 

Well, with one exception!  For high spending levels (and certain types of spend) the Amex Blue Cash is by far the best cashback card out there

Message 18 of 47
taxi818
Super Contributor

Question to op? What did your scores look like?  Your util?   I think they like to see very low. But I prefer discover now. Because of gas.  Just wanted to know because I'm going for gold in December. 

Message 19 of 47
Shock
Established Contributor

OP, dont sweat off of AMEX. 

AMEX is a fantastic issuer, and I am fortunate that they accepted me for the Green. I worked a little magic by putting my cars down payment on there and it scored me a BCE. 

I love my AMEX, but I use my Arrival for everyday spending and will probably only use my AMEX for groceries and perhaps gas.

But the thing is, AMEX is pretty overrated. As good as an issuer as they are, it's one of those that have stricter guidelines than most issuers. That being said, it's kind of like wanting what you can't have. But once you get it, it means you achieved a milestone. 

In my opinion, obtaining an AMEX means you "made it" and that you are a trustworthy spender because they have the strictest guidelines for approval.

But just because you don't have one doesn't mean you aren't trustworthy. Just continue you garden and build your profile. You'll be fine. At the end of the day, they are all pieces of plastic.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.