Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm giving up on Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm giving up on Amex

Wouldn't take it personally. My credit score is light years worse than yours (basing this on your other cards), and I was instantly approved for an Amex Green charge about 8 months ago with 90% util on $20K worth of revolving debt. For context, I recently tried to upgrade my regular Chase Visa (converted from Providian/Wamu card a looong time ago) to a Freedom or Amazon card, but I was denied for even that through them. I also recently applied for a Discover IT a few months ago, and well, let's just say I'm sure I gave the underwriters there a good laugh with my util and 20+ recent HPs.The only card in your sig I could be approved for right now is the Macy's card.

Message 31 of 47
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

I have more cards than I actually need, but, I still want a US-issued AmEx. I've been applying for an AmEx for the past 12 months and keep getting denied for the very same reasons.

But, I'm not giving us as I know that in time I will finally get approved.

"Patience" is the key word.
CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 32 of 47
joltdude
Senior Contributor

You could attempt to try a Global Card Transfer.. or have you done that already.. or dont want to risk/pay more for the transferred Centurion?

https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/united-states.html

Message 33 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

true! im working on my credit and ill apply later down the road!

@amdm2013 wrote:
I have more cards than I actually need, but, I still want a US-issued AmEx. I've been applying for an AmEx for the past 12 months and keep getting denied for the very same reasons.

But, I'm not giving us as I know that in time I will finally get approved.

"Patience" is the key word.

Message 34 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

tell me about it! at

@noobody wrote:

most people i helped get in amex bce/ed with 6 -12 month credit history, thin file no baddie.

i can not believe you got a CSP and not a amex charger, one of my friend got declined by chase for a lowly freedom, but got approved for BCE with 9K very next day, cli to 20k in 61 days, chase hate him.

least chase has showing me some love!

Message 35 of 47
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

tell me about it! at

@noobody wrote:

most people i helped get in amex bce/ed with 6 -12 month credit history, thin file no baddie.

i can not believe you got a CSP and not a amex charger, one of my friend got declined by chase for a lowly freedom, but got approved for BCE with 9K very next day, cli to 20k in 61 days, chase hate him.

least chase has showing me some love!

Amex is funny , i am also on the giving amex an break bandwagon :-) 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 36 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't give up, if this is something that you really want never give up. You should work for it a little longer, and you'll have it. Pretty easy right!

I certainly wouldn't take it personally this time. They are really just looking at us all to see if we fit one of their mysterious target demographics, if we are good on paper and so forth. So far, you've got a pretty nice lineup of cards, not too shabby! ; )

Keep up the good work.

Message 37 of 47
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Hey Sapingo, 

If I recall correctly, your Chase lines are still pretty new right?

Once those have both started reporting to EX, I would reapply for the AMEX Everyday - that way you can give the MR points a try without another large annual fee Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 47
Open123
Super Contributor

All things being equal, those who are primarily interested in purely cash rewards will find most of Amex's offerings underwhelming.  The only two exceptions would be the BCP and/or Blue Cash.  The latter is arguably the "best in class" cash rewards for higher spending tiers.

In general, Amex isn't really worth more of an effort to acquire (except to establish a Member since date) than, say, Cit, Chase, Barclay, Discover or BofA cards.

However, if one's preference are travel rewards, then Amex is most assuredly worth the trouble to acquire.  Of the top 3 rewards programs (UR, MR, and SPG), Amex has two of them, which makes them an essential issuer (Chase, being the other) for those interested in travel redemptions.

Message 39 of 47
nitrov
Established Contributor

OP, as people have mentioned, don't worry. I had a PRG and corporate card through work almost 10 years ago, when I left the company they didn't pay my last expense, card got charged off, and I had other financial problems back then, they yanked my PRG also. I got a BS Optima card with a $500 limit, had that for probably 5-7 years, after relentless rebuild efforts, with a measley ~640 EX score, I got a new PRG, which I've now had for like 8 months.

I have been trying like no tomorrow to get a revolver with them, to no avail, and I've just gotten pissed at them on that front, but you just have to wait them out and make sure your CBR looks as good as it can and the timing works. You'll get it. If there's hope for me and a lot of previous BK folks, you'll be fine.

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.