cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm new, and I need help choosing my first unsecured card(s)!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new, and I need help choosing my first unsecured card(s)!

I'm 22 and have no debt or credit lines other than a USAA $1000 secured MC with an 8 month history, no baddies (pay in full each month) and a credit utilization ratio of ~15%.  I started with this card because I had no credit history when I graduated from college last year (yeah, I know--big mistake).  FICO 726.

Anyway, I now have 40k in assets saved up from working over the last 8 months, and a stable job paying six figures, as well as no intention of ever carrying a balance.  My goals here are to:

1) build credit in the most efficient way possible

2) earn rewards in the meantime

Some more info:

1) I have no other sources of credit and do not visualize having any soon (no student loans, auto loan, mortgage, etc.)

2) I have no car (no gas expense), no utilities expense (incl. in rent), no groceries expense (I eat at work), and no time to travel (have you guessed my city/industry yet..?)

3) I do intend to step up my purchases over the later part of this year, and want to do it in a way that helps my credit, not hurts it

Some of the things I'm thinking about:

1) I need to start building relationships with the big guys

2) I want to keep my credit utilization low, which means I need a much higher CL

3) I don't care about balance transfers, apr, overdraft/late penalties

4) I do care about rewards, but gas/groceries/travel/concierge are irrelevant

So... what should I do?  Apply for 1 card?  3?  Which ones do you recommend?  What kinds of credit limits should I expect if I am accepted by the cards you recommend?  Thanks for your time Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
gettingstarted
Regular Contributor

Re: I'm new, and I need help choosing my first unsecured card(s)!

If you are a full member with USAA I would go for their Visa Card or one of their Master Cards and ask if you can do a product change to one of their unsecired cards.

Chase Military Star MasterCard(5K) Chase MWR MASTERCARD(3K) Discover More Card(6K) USAA World MasterCard(9K) Military StarCard(3K) USAA Platinum Visa (10.5K)

MY FICO SCORES MAY 20TH 2012: EQ 738 TU 747 EX PLUS SCORE 761
In Garden Mode Until May 15th 2013

Soldier Medic
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I am a full member of USAA (NFCU as well).

Are you saying I can sort of roll my secured into an unsecured (or, however you would describe it, that I can do something better than just applying for a new card through USAA wholecloth?).  And then what level card should I ask for (or how can I get the highest CL?).

Message 3 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm 22 and have no debt or credit lines other than a USAA $1000 secured MC with an 8 month history, no baddies (pay in full each month) and a credit utilization ratio of ~15%.  I started with this card because I had no credit history when I graduated from college last year (yeah, I know--big mistake).  FICO 726.

Anyway, I now have 40k in assets saved up from working over the last 8 months, and a stable job paying six figures, as well as no intention of ever carrying a balance.  My goals here are to:

1) build credit in the most efficient way possible

2) earn rewards in the meantime

Some more info:

1) I have no other sources of credit and do not visualize having any soon (no student loans, auto loan, mortgage, etc.)

2) I have no car (no gas expense), no utilities expense (incl. in rent), no groceries expense (I eat at work), and no time to travel (have you guessed my city/industry yet..?)

3) I do intend to step up my purchases over the later part of this year, and want to do it in a way that helps my credit, not hurts it

Some of the things I'm thinking about:

1) I need to start building relationships with the big guys

2) I want to keep my credit utilization low, which means I need a much higher CL

3) I don't care about balance transfers, apr, overdraft/late penalties

4) I do care about rewards, but gas/groceries/travel/concierge are irrelevant

So... what should I do?  Apply for 1 card?  3?  Which ones do you recommend?  What kinds of credit limits should I expect if I am accepted by the cards you recommend?  Thanks for your time Smiley Happy

I would try for AMEX (Zync / charge cards) / Discover.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm worried about going with a charge card first beacuse I want to actually have a reported higher CL with revolvers (so I would prefer Amex BCE, but don't think I could get that).  If I did a Zync or something I would be looking to just establish a relationship with Amex.

I am sort of considering Discover but don't know what kind of CL I should expect with such a short history.

Message 5 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm worried about going with a charge card first beacuse I want to actually have a reported higher CL with revolvers (so I would prefer Amex BCE, but don't think I could get that).  If I did a Zync or something I would be looking to just establish a relationship with Amex.

I am sort of considering Discover but don't know what kind of CL I should expect with such a short history.

Probably 3K or less.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 15
laboi_22
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Although Discover is a great company, you will not get the credit line you desire/need. I would seek out AMEX. I think with your history, you could qualify for a charge card product without any problems. This will allow you to have the spending power that you need. Also concerning UTL, the charge cards from AMEX actually help out in those situations. Aside from the old TU format, you will not have to worry about balances/UTL with a charge card. Also this will build up a great relationship with AMEX. After about 6-8 months, you can apply for a revolver like the BCE.

The BCE is great with CLs and increases are SPs. The first increase is 61 days after opening the revolving account. Most people usually report an increase of 3X the original CL. This would be your best bet. Once you have an AMEX you can then, as time goes by, apply for products with other prime lenders if you are still interested.

Be forewarned that Bofa, Chase (one that you may consider given that it seems you may be on the East Coast according to your post), Citi, and Discover, usually do HPs for line increases and usually start out with lower CLs if the applicant's history is thin. That is the idea behind starting with AMEX. Good luck.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 7 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

First off, get your reported utilization to between 1-9% for extra fico bump (you know how to do this right?). Consider adding to secured card to increase balance to maybe 5k since you get interest and doesnt reset clock if i remember correctly. Once it reports higher limit, You should first app for nfcu and ask for higher credit line no matter what they give you. Nfcu is likely to be the most generous with initial cl. The key question is whether to wait for nfcu to report or go for other cards. My recommendation is go to Amex app for zync or other charge card depending how confident you are and do this around same time apping nfcu as Amex will almost certainly pull experian and nfcu pulls eq or tu. Your score is fine but your file is thin. Starting Amex early is good as it sets member date and makes new Amex not as big of hit on credit or maybe even helping because of backdating. Also Amex charge card npsl moves internal limit up quick and don't reflect on utilization for most fico scoring. Read about getting npsl limits up. Either wait 3 or 6 months, then app for a 2-3 more good cards depending on where fico is. Think chase or Citibank or usaa or Amex or discover. Pick cards that meet your needs but try to stick with issuers good with auto cli or soft cli and no af so you can afford to keep card long term. So in a little more than 6 months from now, you should have 4-5 cards with good limits.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 15
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

I agree with Crashem

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 9 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I just wish iPad formatting on this forum worked better. Makes my posts look like one run on sentence.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.