cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm officially 'in' with PenFed ... Now what?

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'm officially 'in' with PenFed ... Now what?

@baller4life wrote:
Clean as in no baddies....Finstar I thought you were already a member

Nope, not yet.  I went by your advise from your mega thread and decided to wait Smiley Wink  There's a few inquiries that should fall off in a few months (both TU and EQ) and now that BBVA is the "big elephant in the room" (next to NASA from last year), I want to hold off for a bit and give them some room to breathe Smiley Very Happy  I would like to become a member as you and B335 have suggested so I can use the same pull within the 90-day period so I can go for the Defender AMEX CC.

Message 11 of 35
baller4life
Super Contributor

MAN with your profile, you'll have them like puddy in your hands. You'll be able to get whatever you want. Definitely keep them at the top of your list.
Message 12 of 35
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@baller4life wrote:
MAN with your profile, you'll have them like puddy in your hands. You'll be able to get whatever you want. Definitely keep them at the top of your list.

You better believe it.  They are on top of my list.  So, in your opinion, would you say wait 12 months from this last approval with BBVA?  I also got Equality CC approved a couple weeks before BBVA.  And, the last major approvals were Sallie Mae, Sam's Club MC and Ritz this past December.  Yes, profile is solid but the "pyramiding" reason that I've seen before would be the only thing that comes to mind on waiting.

Message 13 of 35
baller4life
Super Contributor

Well Irish said he had lots of new accounts when he got his approvals with them. So I honestly don't think you will have an issue at all if you wanted to app soon. In fact if you check my mega thread, many people said they had several new accts and got approvals. Which leads me to believe that they look at the total picture. The thicker the profile the better when new accounts are involved. And we know your account is mighty thick with YEARS of history. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 35
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@baller4life wrote:

Well Irish said he had lots of new accounts when he got his approvals with them. So I honestly don't think you will have an issue at all if you wanted to app soon. In fact if you check my mega thread, many people said they had several new accts and got approvals. Which leads me to believe that they look at the total picture. The thicker the profile the better when new accounts are involved. And we know your account is mighty thick with YEARS of history. Smiley Happy

Oh that's right, I forgot about Irish's approval.  Hmmmm... Oh baller - the pressure!! LOL.  Bad girl! Smiley Tongue  I am thinking about it though and don't want good ole Mr Barclays and Chase to get all spooky on me, especially with $30K from NASA in early Oct (last year) and the BBVA one just recently.  Now, considering the thickness of my profile, that's never been the issue. 

The only AA I've ever received is from Capital One back in late January, if you can believe that - but from their retail side (Neiman's, Saks & Menards).  After faxing them the required docs (mainly SS# card, DL, etc.), they were appeased.  Their letter cited "your account is currently being reviewed due to a possible compromise of the account information or a need to verify the accuracy of information in our records".  Pleasant folks to deal with btw, just unexpected but I complied and had also noticed they had SPd me a day before the letters went out.  My accounts were on "hold" for a brief period but not closed.  On the Venture and QS side, no AA so it was weird.  Anywho, I didn't want to cause anyone else a case of the jitters! Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 35
baller4life
Super Contributor

Wow that's crazy about Cap One. Weirdos! Can't wait to hear about all the goodies you pick up at Penfed! Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 35
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@baller4life wrote:
Wow that's crazy about Cap One. Weirdos! Can't wait to hear about all the goodies you pick up at Penfed! Smiley Happy

Me too!  So, I suppose one can pick up the thrifty LOC if tied to checking right?  And, then I've seen decent reviews for the Promise and Platinum Rewards.  I'm leaning toward Defender AMEX and perhaps the PLOC, but we'll see.  I'm actually more excited to see what YOU will get!  In a way, the BBVA was not in the deck of cards at this time (no pun intended) since you have bigger things to look forward to.  When are you thinking of going for PenFed?

Message 17 of 35
jnt1231
Regular Contributor

@Finstar, not sure if it helps but I joined with them a couple weeks ago. I have a pretty thick file (AAoA 6-8 years on all). When I apped I had 4 Inq on EQ in the last 12 months (3 less than 6 months) and score was 754 (788 according to the pinnacle score Penfed gave me). I was instantly approved for the Promise card for 14,500 @ 9.99% and also apped and approved for a 15k LOC @ 10.25% (Took a day or 2). The following week I apped for a new auto loan and got it @ 2.74 for 72mo. When I called and checked on staus of auto loan, lady on phone talked me into The Platinum Rewards Visa and got it approved for 5k at 11.99%. All of this using the 1 HP from membership.

Now, YMMV but when I apped I had several new accounts (see sig) The only open CC account I had prior to 1-15-15 was my QS. The remainder of my open CC accounts are all since then. I do have 55+ open/closed accounts showing on all my CR's (I've had 17 auto loans, 2 mortgages, some installment loans, and 25+ CC's that were all closed through the years). Not sure if all this info helps you or not, but wanted to share. Income 115k

FICO 08 EQ-817 TU-820 EX-817 12/07/17 Last App 9/15/17
Message 18 of 35
baller4life
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Me too!  So, I suppose one can pick up the thrifty LOC if tied to checking right?  And, then I've seen decent reviews for the Promise and Platinum Rewards.  I'm leaning toward Defender AMEX and perhaps the PLOC, but we'll see.  I'm actually more excited to see what YOU will get!  In a way, the BBVA was not in the deck of cards at this time (no pun intended) since you have bigger things to look forward to.  When are you thinking of going for PenFed?

I'm going for Promise and PLOC. May even do an auto refi. Not sure about that yet.

Message 19 of 35
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jnt1231 wrote:

@FinStar, not sure if it helps but I joined with them a couple weeks ago. I have a pretty thick file (AAoA 6-8 years on all). When I apped I had 4 Inq on EQ in the last 12 months (3 less than 6 months) and score was 754 (788 according to the pinnacle score Penfed gave me). I was instantly approved for the Promise card for 14,500 @ 9.99% and also apped and approved for a 15k LOC @ 10.25% (Took a day or 2). The following week I apped for a new auto loan and got it @ 2.74 for 72mo. When I called and checked on staus of auto loan, lady on phone talked me into The Platinum Rewards Visa and got it approved for 5k at 11.99%. All of this using the 1 HP from membership.

Now, YMMV but when I apped I had several new accounts (see sig) The only open CC account I had prior to 1-15-15 was my QS. The remainder of my open CC accounts are all since then. I do have 55+ open/closed accounts showing on all my CR's (I've had 17 auto loans, 2 mortgages, some installment loans, and 25+ CC's that were all closed through the years). Not sure if all this info helps you or not, but wanted to share. Income 115k

Thanks for posting your results jnt!  You definitely scored BIG time with PenFed!  This is definitely very helpful indeed.  Imma gonna bookmark this little thread, along with baller's mega thread, very great info Smiley Tongue

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.