Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm screwed and need help......

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm screwed and need help......

@itguy_65 wrote:

One option would be to talk with an accredited credit counseling company.  I have experience with ACCC (American Consumer Credit Counseling), at consumercredit.com.  What they do is negotiate with your creditors and get you lower APRs, which allows you to pay your creditors off quicker.  You would also make your payments via one direct debit each month, and the company will disburse the payments for you.  The bad news is that you will need to close all of your accounts, and there will be a note on your accounts that says "account included in a managed payment program", or something to that effect.  It has an effect on your credit, but not like BK does.  Once you complete the program, that notation should be removed, and you can dispute it to have it removed on any accounts where it is not.  Surely something you don't want to do, but you're in a situation you need to get out of, as quickly and as efficiently as you can.  One note of caution, if you decide to go this route, be sure to continue to make payments on time until the arrangement is fully setup with each creditor, as the baddies will stay.

This is a last ditch effort before bankruptcy. The OP can call and talk to the creditors themselves without having to pay someone else to do it. And at the end, they will still have their accounts and come out with a sense of accomplishment.

Message 21 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tommywerdine wrote:

I just made a budget for all of my expenses...

Rent, phones, car, insurance, ect = 1816 a month

that is without paying for gas and food.

gas for me is about 40-60 a month since I work 3 miles from home.

food is a little more expensive since my girlfriend and i both try to eat at home more often now.... probably about 150-200 a month

So about 2100 per month.

My credit cards are about 1117 per month...

I'm getting about $350 back from my taxes this year, so I am going to put that on paying my cards.
I have about $750 in cash at my house, which I've made in the last 1-2 months from my own business... I was thinking to put that towards my credit cards as well, and I also have $150 in PayPal from selling items.

My salary pays for my monthly nut, but not my credit cards. Which has to come from my commissions and side business. I know I can make the MIN payments on all of them, but doing that will take me around 10 years to pay it off. I'm hoping in the next 5 months to pay 2000 a month towards my cards.... but it's not 100%

I feel so stupid! Smiley Sad

You're not stupid. A lot of people lose their jobs and get caught flat footed with credit card debt that they have difficulty paying. What you do now determines intelligence.

You've recived some very good advice already and if you follow that advice you should come out ok. It won't be easy, it might require you get a 2nd job instead of your side business but you and your girlfriend are the ones that have to decide that. You may want to consider credit counseling at one of the legitimate services if necessary.

Worst case is bankruptcy and that's not the end of the world either. I had a chapter 7 in the 90s and while it took a while I built back up.

It's a cliche but it's only money, you have more important things in your life like your relationships. Try to make sure the money issues don't undermine them. I made that mistake back then and in some ways still regret it.

Good luck!

Message 22 of 78
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Strogen wrote:

Depending on how serious the GF is and what job she has, I would expect her to contribute to the CC debt payoff or at least have her pay the rent or something. 

That way you have something like $500 freed up for repayment. 

If your girlfriend is living with you, I would also expect her to pay some of the rent and costs of utilities. However, if she has not racked up any of your CC debt, I don't think it's right to ask her to pay it. My boyfriend has some CC debt but I will not pay it (nor has he asked me to) as it's his debt and his responsbility. Of course if I ran up his cards, I would pay him. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 23 of 78
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@Strogen wrote:

Depending on how serious the GF is and what job she has, I would expect her to contribute to the CC debt payoff or at least have her pay the rent or something. 

That way you have something like $500 freed up for repayment. 

If your girlfriend is living with you, I would also expect her to pay some of the rent and costs of utilities. However, if she has not racked up any of your CC debt, I don't think it's right to ask her to pay it. My boyfriend has some CC debt but I will not pay it (nor has he asked me to) as it's his debt and his responsbility. Of course if I ran up his cards, I would pay him. 

I figured it was implied she would only help pay on the credit cards if she helped run them up. 

Its totally possible she doesnt even know about his CC debt, thats a converstation I wouldnt want to be a part of! 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 24 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

All i can see for you is a future of bankruptcy.

Unless you come up on some serious cheese, its going to be hard to pay down those balances. You would need an income of 80k+ and very little expenses to make it happen fast.

Only thing you can do is play the balance transfer game but unless you got some more bread. Throw in the towel, get it before things get worse.

First thing you should do is kill the Visa black ASAP. That af is rediculous. Get that out the way and start considering some balance xfer's.

Message 25 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tommywerdine wrote:

food is a little more expensive since my girlfriend and i both try to eat at home more often now.... probably about 150-200 a month

So about 2100 per month.

I'm getting about $350 back from my taxes this year, so I am going to put that on paying my cards.
I have about $750 in cash at my house, which I've made in the last 1-2 months from my own business... I was thinking to put that towards my credit cards as well, and I also have $150 in PayPal from selling items.

My salary pays for my monthly nut, but not my credit cards. Which has to come from my commissions and side business. I know I can make the MIN payments on all of them, but doing that will take me around 10 years to pay it off. I'm hoping in the next 5 months to pay 2000 a month towards my cards.... but it's not 100%

Don't feel stupid. You're in the same situation I found myself in in the Spring of 2006. I had approximately $42,000 in debt between credit cards and my business line of credit and things crashed. Started accumulating lates for the first time ever. It took me 7 years, from July 2006 to June 2013, but I got it all paid off. One of the things I did was exactly what Nixon suggested. Contacted every creditor and got interest rate concessions, huge interest rate concessions. I told them flat out that if they didn't work with me, my only choice would be bankruptcy. I also closed every account. And, you may not be able to see it, but I'll bet if you dug through your expenses you can find ways to cut some fat out. I did.

It's doable.

Message 26 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

All i can see for you is a future of bankruptcy.

Unless you come up on some serious cheese, its going to be hard to pay down those balances. You would need an income of 80k+ and very little expenses to make it happen fast.

Only thing you can do is play the balance transfer game but unless you got some more bread. Throw in the towel, get it before things get worse.

First thing you should do is kill the Visa black ASAP. That af is rediculous. Get that out the way and start considering some balance xfer's.

If they cancel the VB now, the 0% will not apply any more. Wait the 6mos, and then close or ask for fee waiver. But firstly as has been echoed in this thread.

Call your creditors, and let them know what's up, Work out a plan with them!

Message 27 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Strogen wrote:

@tommywerdine wrote:

So about 2100 per month.

Honestly you need a second job. You cant win by just paying the minimums. 

After work see if you can unload trucks at Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc.... 

This.  The advice here is solid but you need to do everthing you can to rid that debt, and getting a second job is an excellent way.  Will it suck and not be fun?  Most certainly, but it's necessary.  I have been there, done that one. 

Message 28 of 78
tommywerdine
Regular Contributor

I think I have it all figured out.

It's going to take a lot of time, effort, and no spending on anything that isn't needed.

It's going to take about 4.5 years to 5 years, but I would rather pay it off than BK... and if worse comes to worse, BK.

I am going to call all of my creditors on Monday (since it's my day off and I'll have time to do so) and ask for a rate reduction for hardship, and if not, I will just have to BK.

I am currently current on all of my cards, no lates, nothing, and I plan to keep it that way.

The only other option I have is a loan from someone I know. It's a stretch, but I'm going to ask them for 50k and pay them back. He's a multi-multi-multi millionair, and is older with no kids. (no im not using him, since i do plan to pay him back...)

My Wallet: NFCU cashRewards $10k | TobyHanna FCU $10k | Black Card $5k | NFCU goRewards $2.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred $2k | DCU Plat Rewards $2k | Huntington Voice $1250 | AmEx Delta $1k | Cap1 QS $300 | Cap1 Secured $500 | J Crew $4.9k | Walmart $2.5k | Kay $1k | Jareds $1k | HomeDepot $1k | FingerHut $900 | Macys $800 | Phillips66 $750 | Buckle $300 | Express $250 In The Garden Since: August 4, 2014. TU FICO: 711 (via Walmart) | EQ FICO: 699 | EX FICO: 677 Goals:700+ on all three.
Message 29 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tommywerdine wrote:

The only other option I have is a loan from someone I know. It's a stretch, but I'm going to ask them for 50k and pay them back. He's a multi-multi-multi millionair, and is older with no kids. (no im not using him, since i do plan to pay him back...)

Well i'm glad you do have an exit plan. Just make sure you learned a lesson from this. You would not want to end up in the same situation again and not having this potentially very generous friend to help you out again.

Message 30 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.