Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm screwed and need help......

tag
Fox342
New Contributor

Re: I'm screwed and need help......

First of all sorry to hear about your situation.  You can do it though, you can pay off these bills!  But like some others said, it's going to be tough.  I believe in personal responsiblity and if you incur the bills and you can pay them then you should.  Even if you incurred the bills form a hardship such as a job loss, etc.  We all have problems sometimes...I have, but I still paid my bills...even though I probably could have filed BK.  Filing BK just because it's easier is not exercising personal responsiblity in my opinion.  Like someone else on here said, we all pay for BK with higher rates, etc.  Just because you can file it doesn't mean you should.  Just because others do it doesn't mean you should.  Yes some people may be so bad off that they have to...and that's what the law is there for...but if you don't have to don't.  I'm pretty sure you'll feel better about yourself if you work yourself out of this hole on your own.

You said you have a car payment, but I don't think you've said how much it is.  I think you should sell your car and get a beater...a very cheap beater.  You said you only work 3 miles from home so a beater will do for a while.  That would probably free up a few hundred dollars a month, not to mention your insurance would go down too.  

Dave Ramsey is excellent at getting people out of debt.  If you haven't heard of him look him up.  He has books as well as a radio program.  I don't agree with every single thing he says...but he is very good at getting people out of debt.  

Good luck man, you can do it!!

Fox

"The borrower is slave to the lender."
(EQ: 820) (TU: 827) (EX: 815)
Message 61 of 78
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

@tommywerdine wrote:

To start off, I know I messed up... and thats the first part.

I need help, I don't need the how stupid I was thing.. because I already know that part.

A little back story, I lost my job, and had a hard time finding a new one.... I'm now back on my feet, working my butt off... I own my own business which makes roughly $300-$500 a month, or so.

I am a Finance Manager at a Honda motorcycle and ATV shop... and I make $1600 net a month salary, plus about $1500-$2000 a month in commission.....

I need help with my debt.. ASAP, or ideas on what to do.....

NFCU - 9300/10k    175/mo

TobyHanna FCU - 9000/10k   80/mo

NFCU LOC - 14300/15k    286/mo

Visa Black - 3700/4200   50/mo

NFCU 2400/2500  50/mo

I also have other cards that are about 5k. which is about 300/mo

My monthly bills are about $1700

Please help, and advise on what to do... It's so stressful I've thought about BK.... but I don't want to burn anyone. Also my car loan is with NFCU and so is my normal banking, so I don't want to burn them, along with the other lenders that I have that I owe about 5k too.....

First, best wishes going forward. I"ve been there.  With net income of about $4000 a month and $1700 in expenses, you have $2300 left over, all of which should go to paying down your debt, only  if you have $10,000 saved for an emergency account-or, six months of expenses. If you don't have six months emergency fund,  make a little over minimum payments and bank the rest until you have six months of expenses saved. Once you do, I would forego paying the higher interest debts because its too complicated and not as easy to see progress,. Start with paying down smallest debt first either other cards or NFCU, as much as you can while paying over minimum  on everything else. Once the lowest debt is gone, move to the next highest debt and pay that off, so on and so forth until you hit NFCU LOC . Good luck.

.Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 827. Discover Fic0-826; CK:EQ-821; TU-819; CS-819; Total credit-$165,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-20,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa13,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-9900; Citi TYP-7,700; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Message 62 of 78
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear you're in this situation. When I went off to college, I didnt have a job and got myself in a fair amount of CC debt, it sucked paying it off, but it's possible. 

I'll echo the advice given by others. Pay EVERY minimum, every month, any money left over after that goes to the HIGHEST apr card. 

I wouldn't bother trying to apply for a BT card with util that high, you'll probably get a horrendous limit, and just end up with another inquiry, and then look (even more) "desperate" to your creditors and you don't want that. 

Ignore the people who just spout "file bk." I don't think your needs are that dire at this point. Make any extra money you can, and throw everything you can at your CCs. 

I will echo, as I read earlier in the thread, if you smoke, or drink a lot, or whatever your vice is (no judgement here ) it's a good opportunity to quit since you won't really have the money to keep up with it. #SilverLining

Message 63 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tommywerdine wrote:

NFCU - 9300/10k    175/mo

TobyHanna FCU - 9000/10k   80/mo

NFCU LOC - 14300/15k    286/mo

Visa Black - 3700/4200   50/mo

NFCU 2400/2500  50/mo

The bad news is if you screw any of those, your road back will be very long and hard as you won't be able to re-use them in rebuilding.

In short,stop being a baller.  

You know better than anybody that you've done the cliche... "maxed out your credit cards".

There's really no other remedy because if you BK, that's another 7-10 years with no credit.  Then when you rebuild from that; NFCU woun't be around to give you a 10K credit card.  It'll be $300 secured cards from CapOne.

Message 64 of 78
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

OP hasn't signed on since 2/27. Doubt they will read all the extra postings, though may help others in this situation. Heads up to future posters (methinks, unless they have another id, they have made their decision).
Signature needs updating
Message 65 of 78
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@tommywerdine wrote:

The only other option I have is a loan from someone I know. It's a stretch, but I'm going to ask them for 50k and pay them back. He's a multi-multi-multi millionair, and is older with no kids. (no im not using him, since i do plan to pay him back...)

If you do this, make sure to give this person a receipt for the loan, with a clearly defined time within which you are expected to pay it back. This is important not only for your personal integrity, but having payment terms clearly defined in writing also protects you.

I'd take it a step further.  Pay him interest on the loan.  If there is interest out, there is more incentive to pay the money back.  Give him 5% annually, or 0.4167% monthly.  Better than any CD out there, he's more likely to give you the money, you're more likely to pay it off rapidly.

Heck, I'd go one over prime?

Best movie ever.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 66 of 78
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

IMO declaring BK is a cheap way out of things.  Yes it is written into the law and eveyone has the right to declare it assuming they don't make to much money otherwise it is Chap. 13, but hey why doesn't someone just charge up another 30k then Chap 13 isn't possible so you can file Chap 7?  I guess I am sick of people that filed Chap 7 a year out having 700 scores and over 40-50k in available credit when they just burnt the lenders and some will repeat this cycle again.  Chap 7 for medical is one thing, but for CC bills that can be controlled is another thing.  BK should be your absolute last option!  Move to another city that pays more $?  Hey I have moved all around the country for jobs that pay more cash to improve my lifestyle, sometimes you gotta do things you don't want to do.  Anyways /end rant on BK.

LOL same here...  I filed Ch 13 due to an extended job loss that had me in a situation similar than the OP.

I made too much for Ch 7 so I spent 4 years paying creditors.  It strikes a nerve when I see Ch 7 filers with their 50k (and in some cases 100k) credit lines inside of 2 years.

I blame the system...

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 67 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm guessing you want eveyrthing paid in full asap with no late at all?  You have some good funds to work with minus your living expenses.  I get a lot of emails stating I can get a consolidation loan.  I would give that a try if you want all bills put into one with a lower payment and more flexibility.  You have the advantage of paying more then you owe in a month or the minimum if need be.  Otherwise, I would do the old concentrate on one at a time & pay the minimum on the rest.   P.S. if you were an idiot, you would not be here asking for help.  I'm sure you can bounce back.  Smiley Wink

Message 68 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love William H. Macy in Shameless!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 69 of 78
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's really no other remedy because if you BK, that's another 7-10 years with no credit.  Then when you rebuild from that; NFCU woun't be around to give you a 10K credit card.  It'll be $300 secured cards from CapOne.

As said I filed BK13 due to an extended job loss that had me in a situation similar to the OP.

Rebuilding hasn't been difficult...  I don't have the $50-$100k available credit and 700 scores that most BK7 filers have within 2 years... but I do have my pride for paying back my creditors and I have 1 year to go till my reports are clean. 

I didn't have to get any secured cards on my way to a solid profile... almost 2 years since discharge and I just hit $50k in CL to go with my shiny new beast of a car.

Message 70 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.