Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm thinking about canceling my Advantage Aviator Red MasterCard

tag
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

I'm thinking about canceling my Advantage Aviator Red MasterCard

Are there any perks that i'm going to miss out on that are really crucial?

As far as i know, i only expect to use my AA miles for international travel, so Zone 2 or Group 1 boarding wont even apply to me nor will the free checked bags for domestic travel.

The only perks that may be useful are the 10% back on miles spend and the reduced mileage awards (get 7500 back when you book a milesaver award). I dont completely understand how i can save 7500. Is it already taken off online or do i have to call AA to take it off?

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: I'm thinking about canceling my Advantage Aviator Red MasterCard

Message 2 of 13
iwazl71
Frequent Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Are there any perks that i'm going to miss out on that are really crucial?

As far as i know, i only expect to use my AA miles for international travel, so Zone 2 or Group 1 boarding wont even apply to me nor will the free checked bags for domestic travel.

The only perks that may be useful are the 10% back on miles spend and the reduced mileage awards (get 7500 back when you book a milesaver award). I dont completely understand how i can save 7500. Is it already taken off online or do i have to call AA to take it off?

The 7500 miles deduction or the reduced mileage awards works only on the listed destinations they have on the AA site..  They usually have a list of locations 3-4 months ahead of the current date that is available with the reduced mileage.  The locations are the smaller airports.

Scores: EQ 796, EX 790, TU 807
Personal and Business Cards: 31 with 763k
High Limit Cards: CSP 50k | BoA Cash 81k | NFCU flagship 60k | Penfed Rewards 50k | Aviator Silver 52k
Message 3 of 13
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys!

So, whats the common consensus? cancel or keep?

Let me also add that i already have an SPG personal and business card for transfers. I just want to know whatelse i'll be missing out on if i cancel it.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would cancel it. I'm desperate to cancel mine, but it is my oldest account by far. Got it back when it was a Bank of America card so I'm stuck with it unless I want to see a huge hit on my credit.
Message 5 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

if you have the silver make sure you use your tsa precheck /global entry credit before you cancel.
Message 6 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

#doublepost

or upgrade to silver, use the credit, then cancel.
Message 7 of 13
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
#doublepost

I didnt even know that, but i have an Amex Plat. I'll use that perk before i cancel my Plat lol.

Message 8 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
#doublepost

I didnt even know that, but i have an Amex Plat. I'll use that perk before i cancel my Plat lol.

You can use the credit for someone else too. Good for travelling companions =] 

Message 9 of 13
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Membersince2013 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:
#doublepost

You can use the credit for someone else too. Good for travelling companions =] 

Thats not a bad idea! I might just do that.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.